Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Car for a Disabled Driver

Options
  • 08-03-2008 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Are there any other disabled drivers on boards.ie?? Has anyone got any suggestions for a new car for a disabled driver?? I currently drive an 02 reg Nissan Micra, and am looking for something slightly bigger.....?

I am strongly thinking of going for the Ford Fiesta Steel, trading my Micra in against it.

Any suggestions are welcome.

MM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Are you looking for an automatic car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭omerin

my father is a disabled driver and bought an automatic corolla, but was too small for getting in/out so he bought a automatic mpv with hand controls

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

snorlax wrote: »
    Are you looking for an automatic car?

Yes.

Not gettin much help here am I???

Are there any other disabled drivers out there.........?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

I think there's an organisation called motobilty ireland that rents cars to people with disabilities for around 30/ 40 eur a day http://www.motabilityireland.com/rental.aspx . It wouldn't be a bad idea to find something that suits you? They might be able to offer some advice. IWA do also are involved assisting with drivers with disabilities, their advice might be cheaper.

• Advertisement

snorlax wrote: »
    I think there's an organisation called motobilty ireland that rents cars to people with disabilities for around 30/ 40 eur a day http://www.motabilityireland.com/rental.aspx . It wouldn't be a bad idea to find something that suits you? They might be able to offer some advice. IWA do also are involved assisting with drivers with disabilities, their advice might be cheaper.

Cheerz

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Friend is a disabled driver she had micras up until last year and now has a Honda Jazz.
    It is great the electric wheel chair goes in the boot and she has the "crane" with hand controls in the boot to bring the wheelchair around.
    She also has a swivel seat,compared to the Micra it is brilliant:)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Hi

Are there any other disabled drivers on boards.ie?? Has anyone got any suggestions for a new car for a disabled driver?? I currently drive an 02 reg Nissan Micra, and am looking for something slightly bigger.....?

I am strongly thinking of going for the Ford Fiesta Steel, trading my Micra in against it.

Any suggestions are welcome.

MM

Did you end up trading in your Micra?

I learned to drive in an adapted Micra, but it was the older 90s model. I would think a Fiesta is only marginally bigger than a Micra?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ChessHacker

Motability may not be the cheapest place to get controls fitted, I found.
    I used a place in Monkstown.
    What sort of controls do you need?

Also, some manufacturers will give a discount on a new car (and you should quality for the VAT/VRT rebate). Forms are on http://ros.ie
    That assumes you can afford a new car.

CtrlSource wrote: »
    Did you end up trading in your Micra?

I learned to drive in an adapted Micra, but it was the older 90s model. I would think a Fiesta is only marginally bigger than a Micra?

I got word from the Ford dealer today that my new car will be arriving in June. Can't f**kin wait.

• Advertisement

I got word from the Ford dealer today that my new car will be arriving in June. Can't f**kin wait.

My new car is up in Motability Ireland getting fitted out as we speak!!!!! Yay. I'm getting a new electric seat raiser put in as the old has packed in. I'm also getting infra-red put into it, which will allow me to control all the secondary controls(which are kinda hard to reach)at the touch of a button!!!????

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Happy to hear that you're almost there :)

Got my current car adapted by Motability and was happy with their work. Am researching my next purchase at the moment and am in contact with Martin their head engineer about possible adaption solutions.

Let us know how you get on with it when you finally sit into the drivers seat!

CtrlSource wrote: »
    Happy to hear that you're almost there :)

Got my current car adapted by Motability and was happy with their work. Am researching my next purchase at the moment and am in contact with Martin their head engineer about possible adaption solutions.

Let us know how you get on with it when you finally sit into the drivers seat!

There's another thread that I started in the Motoring section about this! :D The car is done now and waiting for the dealer to collect it, get it registered and get the adaptations checked out. I thought I'd get all that done yesterday and today having taken both days off work, but I don't think the dealer is too pushed...? It looks like I'll have it on either Saturday or Monday??? God knows how my work colleagues are going to react if I need more time off(which I can't really afford to take?):rolleyes:

Advertisement