Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What do I pay for

Options
  • 09-03-2008 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭

I am getting my car fixed next week. €700 of work and 00 1.4L car.

The told me what the problem was after they connected the car up to the diagnostics machine.

So I told the garage to do the work. They then ring me to say they were talking to a senior mechanic who said the problem diagnosed is "leading us up the garden path" and they want to take it in for a few days and to check the wiring as they think its an electrical problem.

They think this will save money as it will be cheaper to fix.

My worry is that they wont find anything with the wiring and then charge me for diagnosed problem as well as them looking for the electrical option.

I explained this to the mechanic who ignored my comment.

What happens if he tries to charge me for both?

Is there a case of them doing this work and me not paying as they want to play around with the electrics when I was prepared to pay for the diagnosed problem.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'd say the diagnosis computer told them X and Y was broken, they checked them and they are working. So now they have shelved the original quote as what they though was broken is not, its something different.
    Its better that the realise the mistake now, rather than fixing (and charging) you of parts that were not broken.

Seen it's a 00 car, i'd ask for a quote and description of what will be done now, before they do any work.
    On the upside, electrical problems could be something very simple that effecting lots of other systems. might (might not) be a cheap fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

What type of car?
    Whats the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It quite good that they realise that some skill is required in diagnosis following readings from diagnostic machine. Too many garages are replacing parts when really the fault is being caused further down the line. Let them check it out properly as they wish.

Advertisement