Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goal-line technology gets the boot

• 09-03-2008 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0308/soccer.html

Unbelievable in this day and age that this technologhy cannot be used and the whole concept of it being used is not going even going to be tried. I cant see why it couldnt be given a go before the idea is thrown out altogether. It wouldnt slow up the game in any significant way I can see.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Yeah I agree, stopping the experiments altogether seems a bit strange. I can't this other idea of an extra assitant behind the goal working either. If the ball is in the air, looking at it from behind the goal wont give you a better idea of whether it crossed the line or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

pd101 wrote: »
    Yeah I agree, stopping the experiments altogether seems a bit strange. I can't this other idea of an extra assitant behind the goal working either. If the ball is in the air, looking at it from behind the goal wont give you a better idea of whether it crossed the line or not.
    Yeah the extra assitant behind the goal is ridiculous, wont solve the problem at all, its just another backward step imo. Cant see why the technology was tried out in a cup competition like the league cup or something and see how it went. Its not even amazing technology we are talking about either, afew cameras in the goal is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sigh. And human error continues to upset fans, players, managers and gamblers.

They have it in ice-hockey (it needs it a lot more, I'll admit) and nine times out of ten it takes a matter of seconds to watch the replay and judge if the puck crossed the line. Simplicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid958992159/bctid1448631897
    FA chief exc Brian Barwick reaction to the decison.

It would be interesting to do a poll among managers in the English football league and see what sort of percentages would be in favour of the goal line technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

so the FA think that technology being used to its full potential is a bad idea but a 39th game played abroad is a great idea?! the mind boggles sometimes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

No, thats wrong. The FA are in favour (well, according to the original article up top) of goal-line tech.

But I didn't think the FA were favour of the 39th game thing, were they?

Advertisement