Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boot: Adebayor, Torres Or Ronaldo?

• 09-03-2008 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭

10 Games left.

Ronaldo: 21
    Adebayor: 19
    Torres: 19

Who's it gonna be? Torres has somewhat propelled himself into the running courtesy of a rather hot streak of late including a hatrick. Kudos to him, it being his first season and playing alongside Dirk Kuyt for most of it. Can't have been easy. Out with the chequebook I say, Monsieur Wenger :p

Who's Foot Will The Boot Of Glory Be On? 39 votes

Cristiano Ronaldo (21)
    0%
    Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    82%
    RasTaPHBshotamooseTuskyHelixFozzychumpromperstomperbestyUnearthlyBrando_ieMr.Nice GuychopperbyrnedeisedevilNecronomiconcountyDayshaNailzeZe^Charlie 32 votes
    Fernando Torres (19)
    17%
    jankOPENROADleninbenjaminMintoGalvaseanyayamarkBubs101 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Ill go with Ronaldo. :) Although Torres does seem to be the man of the moment (and rightly so).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Torres, simply because when liverpool score its usually him or Gerrards

Arsenal score from all over the pitch, same with united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Torres is on a good run and isn't being rotated. If it stays that way i'd say him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

ronaldo, isn't enough games left for torres to overtake him, even though nobody else at liverpool is capable of scoring utd and arsenal have goals coming from everywhere, scholes, anderson, saha, rosicky, hleb, both utd and arsenals defences all banging in goals, wheras benayoun, crouch, kuyt, gerrard, babel have no goals . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Fernando Torres (19)
    Adebayor for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'd be inclined to go with Torres to be honest..... hoping it's L. Ron Aldo though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Ronaldo, because he has scored consistently over the whole season, the others just go through purple patches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Adebayor for me.

No surprises there.

I'm going to actually say Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Courtesy of Patrick Power Turf Accountants Dot Com;

C. Ronaldo: 8/11
    F. Torres: 9/4
    E. Adebayor: 11/4

Wouldn't mind having a bit of Torres at that price. Not as tasty as it would have been a couple of weeks ago mind, but tasty all the same.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Ronaldo, because he has scored consistently over the whole season, the others just go through purple patches.

Ronaldo didn't score in his first four games this season, other than that his longest streak without a goal is two.

Torres hasn't gone more than two starts this season without scoring. The only thing about him is Benitez tended to use him (and others, obviously) sparingly at times earlier in the season. He's playing regularly now and scoring regularly.

Adebayor went five without a goal in Sept-November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Fernando Torres (19)
    E. Adebayor for me think hes class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Reckon it will be Ronaldo myself

yayamark wrote: »
    E. Adebayor for me think hes class

And Torres and Ronaldo aren't?

Of the three in the running Adebayor is the least-proven goalscorer, taking their past records into account.

Tusky wrote: »
    I'd say Ronaldo will win it unfortunately.

If Torres hits 24 league goals it will be the most successful debut season for a foreign striker ever. He scored 7 goals in the first 8 days of March...incredible!

If only he was that prolific all season, he'd have about 200+ goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Can't see Torres win it to be honest. I think he's propelled himself up to it by some absolutely unreal performances, but I can't imagine he's gona sustain that level.
    Liverpools run in is pretty tough, probably the toughest of those 3.

Reading H
    United A
    Everton H
    Arsenal A
    Blackburn H
    Fulham H
    Brum A
    City H

That said, I think Adebayour could still do it.

Was just going to reply PHB, but the edit did the work for me!

Fernando Torres (19)
    MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Of the three in the running Adebayor is the least-proven goalscorer, taking their past records into account.

but
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7l5klm00oU

OPENROAD wrote: »

Good point well made.

Fernando Torres (19)
    Good point well made.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

can't argue with that tbh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    I'd say Ronaldo will win it unfortunately.

If Torres hits 24 league goals it will be the most successful debut season for a foreign striker ever. He scored 7 goals in the first 8 days of March...incredible!
    Archimedes wrote: »

Not true, Torres has scored pretty consistently throughout. See below. * = didnt start.

-0*
    -0*
    -0*
    -1*

36 games, 25 goals.

Cant believe I bothered to type that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mayordenis wrote: »
    ronaldo, isn't enough games left for torres to overtake him, even though nobody else at liverpool is capable of scoring utd and arsenal have goals coming from everywhere, scholes, anderson, saha, rosicky, hleb, both utd and arsenals defences all banging in goals, wheras benayoun, crouch, kuyt, gerrard, babel have no goals . . . . .

Not sure where this " all of Utds players are scoring " thing is coming from. They've pretty much had 3 strikers playing all season. (Ronaldo has 21, Tevez 11 and Rooney 8) . Of there free scrong defence, Ferdinand has 2 goals and Vidic 1. Brown and Evra have none between them. Nani has 2, Giggs 2 and Scholes 1. It's really not that different from Liverpools scorers. (Hyypia 1, Aurelio 1, Gerrard 10, Torres 19, Babel 4, Benayoun 4, Kuyt 3, Alonso 2).

All in all Liverpool have had 11 different scorers to Utd's 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

I'll go for a tie between Torres and Ronaldo. :D

36 games, 25 goals.

Cant believe I bothered to type that out.

Actually, whilst we're on the subject of stats, its pretty incredible that none of the three have more than four assists. Selfers ftw!

Guess they are just pure goalscorers, whilst the likes of Berbatov has 10 goals and 10 assists, and Kenwyne Jones assists nearly twice as much as he scores (5 goals, 9 assists).

Actually, whilst we're on the subject of stats, its pretty incredible that none of the three have more than four assists. Selfers ftw!

Guess they are just pure goalscorers, whilst the likes of Berbatov has 10 goals and 10 assists, and Kenwyne Jones assists nearly twice as much as he scores (5 goals, 9 assists).

jaysus, 10 between the 3 of them! good work joe i'm well surprised at that stat!

looks worst for ronaldo though being a winger... but the 21 goals make up for that i'm sure :p

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    jaysus, 10 between the 3 of them! good work joe i'm well surprised at that stat!

looks worst for ronaldo though being a winger... but the 21 goals make up for that i'm sure :p

Gerrard has 18 goals 15 assists in all comps. Torres has 3 assists I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

In all honesty i couldnt care less if torres scores more than ronaldo or whoever.We at last have a player who excites the crowd in a way i have'nt seen since king kenny.In a time of great distress for the club he has lifted the fans spirits and i stood on the Kop today and sensed the arrival of a true legend at our club to be mentioned in the same breath as kenny,hughes,fowler and kennedy.:) And that is a great feeling indeed.

Torres only has 18 league goals.link

While I'm at it.

Of Ronaldos 21 goals, 14 have been at home. Not particularly noteworthy, I'd imagine its fairly in keeping with most players.

Of Ronaldos 7 away goals, 6 have been against sides in 9th or lower. Little bit more interesting. 5 of the goals were against sides in the bottom 8. A goal or two against Derby seems a great bet.

• Advertisement

pd101 wrote: »

Dude, he scored today.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/top_scorers/default.stm
    Gerrard has 18 goals 15 assists in all comps. Torres has 3 assists I think.

10 and 9 in the league too. Good going.

Fabregas has 7 and 13.

pd101 wrote: »

thats out of date, he has 19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Sky have him down for 19. This is Sky we're talking about, Sky. When have they ever been wrong? :p

Sorry, I was going by when the league table was updated. :o:

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Ive been following his progress closely, he definitely has 19. 19 in the league, 3 in carling cup & 3 in Europe.

mayordenis wrote: »

Premier League Goalscorers
    Scholes - 1
    Saha - 5
    Anderson - 0 (hasn't scored for ManU yet)

Benayoun - 3
    Crouch - 2
    Kuyt - 3
    Gerrard - 9
    Babel - 3

laughable what some people try to argue isn't it

(Rosicky has 6, and Hleb has 2 btw.)
    stats from here - http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics/0,,12306,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Stekelly wrote: »
    Not sure where this " all of Utds players are scoring " thing is coming from. They've pretty much had 3 strikers playing all season. (Ronaldo has 21, Tevez 11 and Rooney 8) . Of there free scrong defence, Ferdinand has 2 goals and Vidic 1. Brown and Evra have none between them. Nani has 2, Giggs 2 and Scholes 1. It's really not that different from Liverpools scorers. (Hyypia 1, Aurelio 1, Gerrard 10, Torres 19, Babel 4, Benayoun 4, Kuyt 3, Alonso 2).

All in all Liverpool have had 11 different scorers to Utd's 12.

What about Pennant?? Who else is there with Pool?

zAbbo wrote: »
    Scholes - 1
    Saha - 5

Benayoun - 3
    Crouch - 2
    Kuyt - 3
    Gerrard - 8
    Babel - 3

Lies, damned lies and statistics. I love when a stat wins an argument. :)

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    zAbbo wrote: »
    Scholes - 1
    Saha - 5

Benayoun - 3
    Crouch - 2
    Kuyt - 3
    Gerrard - 9
    Babel - 3

stats from here - http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics/0,,12306,00.html

bahaha. Very nice. I think you win this round. Add Pennant with 1 and Gerrard is on 10 after his goal today.

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    I think you could say that last year Ronaldo had goals from all over teh team much more. This year however we've been much less prolific, and relied on Ronaldo quite a bit more.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    What about Pennant?? Who else is there with Pool?

He's part of he 11. Didnt put his name with the others as he only has 1.

• Advertisement

Thats kinda true, as evident by Ronaldo's drop in assists this season.

He'd 13 assists last season, and is only on 3 this season...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Stekelly wrote: »
    He's part of he 11. Didnt put his name with the others as he only has 1.

According to here: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/squad/stats/detailedstats.htm

We have 12 players that scored in the PL this year.

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Largely because United have been playing poorer this year. It's unsurprising really, the addition of 3 new players was always gona disrupt the flow a little bit. Luckily there's enough quality there to get us through. Nonetheless, Uniteds team have scored very little this year compared to last year [It doesnt help that Rooney has forgotten how to finish].

jonny24ie wrote: »
    According to here: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/squad/stats/detailedstats.htm

We have 12 players that scored in the PL this year.

Just checked, I was missing Sissoko from my list.

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    PHB wrote: »
    Largely because United have been playing poorer this year. It's unsurprising really, the addition of 3 new players was always gona disrupt the flow a little bit. Luckily there's enough quality there to get us through. Nonetheless, Uniteds team have scored very little this year compared to last year [It doesnt help that Rooney has forgotten how to finish].

I think next season will be a big one for Tevez and Id expect him to bang in quite a few. Same goes for Anderson.

The main thing about Ronaldos drop in assists is that Tevez and Nani have taken over the creativity duties, going on the stats. 14 assists between them.

Rooneys avg. assists have increased as well, 8 in 18 games so far this season. 13 in 35 last season.

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    It's not just that Ronaldo has less creative duties, but you're right, it's that the majority of assists came from people catching up with him and cutting it back. This year, nobodies keeping up with him :) Last year Saha did it, and Larrson did it too to an extent. Rooney is dropping so deep, that even if he busts his gut to catch up, he's still ages behind.
    As such, he's nobody to pass to, hence no assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Ronaldo didn't score in his first four games this season, other than that his longest streak without a goal is two.

Torres hasn't gone more than two starts this season without scoring. The only thing about him is Benitez tended to use him (and others, obviously) sparingly at times earlier in the season. He's playing regularly now and scoring regularly.

Adebayor went five without a goal in Sept-November.

Thank F**k for that .:D
    He is a class act.

but as stated Ronaldo has been on fire all season and I cannot see him not continuing till the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yeah but now that young torres is on form, and we have Reading next I can see torres having another brace at least on the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Torres to win if he stays fit.

Mike.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement