Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boot: Adebayor, Torres Or Ronaldo?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Fernando Torres (19)
    MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Of the three in the running Adebayor is the least-proven goalscorer, taking their past records into account.

You can't read too much into that though. his role until Henry left was very much support striker, he wasn't given the freedom he his now. He had a slow enough start to the season too as he imposed himself, but now he's the fulcrum of Arsenal's attack basically. He's still not as polished a player as the other two are, and stands to improve the most of the lot. Thus i wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly overtakes the other two in terms of goal scoring ability, in fact i'm kind of expecting it as he irons the kinks out of his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I can't see him overtaking Torres, Torres is just one of those incredible naturally gifted finishers. Like Van Basten was and Van Nistelrooy is. Whether or not he overtakes Ronaldo depends on whether Uniteds system changes and he plays a different role. 30 goals in a season was Henry territory, I can see Torres hitting it if he plays regularly enough. Adebayor is class but I don't think he'll top ~25.

Would like to be proved wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

was undecided between torres and ronaldo but with the form torres is in i will go for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fernando Torres (19)
    Everyone has been counting up the Liverpool and United team goalscorers so i taught Id throw Arsenal's league scorers into the mix:

Adebayor 19
    Fabregas 7
    Rosicky 6
    Van Persie 5*
    Eduardo 4
    Gallas 3
    Flamini 3
    Hleb 2
    Senderos 2
    Walcott 2
    Bendtner 2
    Toure 1
    Diaby 1

*RvP has 5 league goals in 7 starts and one sub appearance. Pretty prolific, pity he got injured.

- All stats taken from Arsenal.com on 9-3-08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Galvasean wrote: »

*RvP has 5 league goals in 7 starts and one sub appearance. Pretty prolific, pity he got injured.

yeh once he got injured i taught arsenal were goosed but adebayor has really stepped up to the plate

Fernando Torres (19)
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    yeh once he got injured i taught arsenal were goosed but adebayor has really stepped up to the plate

I know its asking a lot but I cant help but imagine what it would be like to get those two firing on full form at the same time... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

zAbbo wrote: »
    Premier League Goalscorers
    Scholes - 1
    Saha - 5
    Anderson - 0 (hasn't scored for ManU yet)

Benayoun - 3
    Crouch - 2
    Kuyt - 3
    Gerrard - 9
    Babel - 3

laughable what some people try to argue isn't it

(Rosicky has 6, and Hleb has 2 btw.)
    stats from here - http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics/0,,12306,00.html

To add to that, Voronin has scored 3 and made one assist while Anderson has one paltry assist to his name. Its official Voronin is better than Anderson.

Ronaldo will probably get the golden boot tho, unfortunately. Though for all his ability, his attitude is abismal. Whinging about not being able to do his skills or if he doesnt get a penalty or free and waving imaginary cards. Torres on the other hand keeps quiet does what he has to and gets on with it, fighting for every half chance. I dont really follow Adebayor so I'm not sure of his attitude apart from the whole Bendtner fiasco but I feel that winning the Golden Boot would be far more dignified if whoever it is manages to remain professional throughout and leads by example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Our next two games are Derby away and Bolton at home and if Ronnie starts he should grab a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

To add to that, Voronin has scored 3 and made one assist while Anderson has one paltry assist to his name. Its official Voronin is better than Anderson.

Ronaldo will probably get the golden boot tho, unfortunately. Though for all his ability, his attitude is abismal. Whinging about not being able to do his skills or if he doesnt get a penalty or free and waving imaginary cards. Torres on the other hand keeps quiet does what he has to and gets on with it, fighting for every half chance. I dont really follow Adebayor so I'm not sure of his attitude apart from the whole Bendtner fiasco but I feel that winning the Golden Boot would be far more dignified if whoever it is manages to remain professional throughout and leads by example.

How dare you:mad: Anderson is god:D

• Advertisement

Dubit10 wrote: »
    How dare you:mad: Anderson is god:D

Why? Because Archimedes has a signature that says so?
    AIG would be more aptly used in "Anderson Isnt Great"
    Sissoko did more this year than Anderson did.

Utd's run in does leave a lot of room for Ronaldo to extend that lead, particularly the next 2 games, but Fergie may start resting players like he did last year. Arsenal and Liverpool with only one prolific striker each, cant afford such luxuries so it might be a tight run in yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    I'm sorry, but I think while Torres is a good finisher, he is nowhere near the qualities of say Van Nist in finishing. If anything, finishing is the worst part of his game. His incredible dribbling skills, movement, pace make him score a lot of goals, but his finishing isn't anywhere near that standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Im going with Torres here. Id love to see Ronaldo do it but I cant seee it lasting the length of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    PHB wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I think while Torres is a good finisher, he is nowhere near the qualities of say Van Nist in finishing. If anything, finishing is the worst part of his game. His incredible dribbling skills, movement, pace make him score a lot of goals, but his finishing isn't anywhere near that standard.

I agree. I'd go as far as saying Torres is an excellent finisher. Really really clinical. However, RVN is arguably the finest finisher in the world.

I read lots of reports that Torres missed alot of chances and wasnt very clinical. I dont know if he has improved since coming to Liverpool or if the reports were false, but it couldnt be further from the truth. The only game that his finishing could be questioned was against Newcastle, away.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i'm glad this has been backed up i was taking the piss with the liverpool players not scoring because we have babel benayoun kuyt and if crouch gets a few games are all very capable of being in double figures in all comps for the season, so liverpools goals are coming from pretty much everywhere, shockingly riise is yet to score, usually gets 6 or 7, but when utd score it tends to be ronaldo or one of two others, pretty much the same at arsenal.
    all 3 can win it and i couldn't call it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Ronaldo will keep his place I think, but Torres is fantasic and I think will finish second. Adebayor has slowed down a bit, I say he'd oly get 3/4 more goals an that's it...

• Advertisement

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)

Whinge-whinge, moan-moan! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Ronaldo will probably pip it though

but I hope not, he is a horrible man. One time I was in Manchester walking down the street and he threw a rock at me. What kind of carry on is that for a top scorer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Tusky wrote: »
    I read lots of reports that Torres missed alot of chances and wasnt very clinical. I dont know if he has improved since coming to Liverpool or if the reports were false, but it couldnt be further from the truth.

It was very very suspect, I watched alot of Atletico Madrid games over the past couple of seasons and he always struck me as a 'jack of all trades, master of none' style finisher. He has improved immensely since joining the EPL in all departments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

sigh, dont make me pull up some videos of Torres being blown over by the wind please, christ just because people play for your team doesnt make them saints, and ours arent devils, literally speaking.... that goes both ways of course

i just noticed your sissoko did more then Anderson comment also, how do you explain this? because he scored a goal? is that all that counts these days. his contribution to the team this year has been excellent, especially for a 19 year old who hadnt played for so long and has to get used to a new country and team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Unearthly wrote: »

but I hope not, he is a horrible man. One time I was in Manchester walking down the street and he threw a rock at me. What kind of carry on is that for a top scorer?

you must have brought it on yourself....did you insult his hair or something?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

He only done it, because your family asked him to

NICE GUYS REPECT MOTHERS REQUESTS

Fernando Torres (19)
    you must have brought it on yourself....did you insult his hair or something?! :D

He must throw a lot of rocks...

Nailz wrote: »
    Whinge-whinge, moan-moan!

Precisely, thats exactly what Ronaldo does.

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Yes, that's right... :rolleyes:

Oh dear, what did you say??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)

Probably say he doesn't have flashplayer

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Probably say he doesn't have flashplayer

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i dont think i will ever get tired of watching that video, its still in my favorites on youtube! some other good ones there too actually. you gotta love the scousers selective memory when it comes to this kind of stuff!! at least ronaldo doesnt come out and give interviews talking about people damaging the game for doing the same things he does!

What has Gerrards foolish actions to do with the current motion? A few instances (many going years back) does not compare to the wholesale theatrics offered by Ronaldo on a weekly basis. Torres has yet to make any such comments and will typically be back on his feet quickly after a tackle. You sir, were burned by my previous witty retort and had to resort to Youtube footage of something on a complete tangent to the Torres Vs Ronaldo vs Adebayor for the Golden Boot debate. I commend you for you debating supremacy. Yes, Gerrard being silly deems Ronaldo an inspired genius who is always wronged by referees by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    I voted for Ronaldo mainly cos he's ahead and cos the Pool have a tough run-in. Also cos i don'twant to put the mockers on Fernando

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    What has Gerrards foolish actions to do with the current motion? A few instances (many going years back) does not compare to the wholesale theatrics offered by Ronaldo on a weekly basis. Torres has yet to make any such comments and will typically be back on his feet quickly after a tackle. I commend you for you debating supremacy. Yes, Gerrard being silly deems Ronaldo an inspired genius who is always wronged by referees by default.
    1. You answered your own question.
    2. There was only 1 comment from Torres there, but he was on about what Gerrard said about diving...
    You sir, were burned by my previous witty retort and had to resort to Youtube footage of something on a complete tangent to the Torres Vs Ronaldo vs Adebayor for the Golden Boot debate.
    O RLY? I think you should take a look back at your 2nd quote... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

you can at least argue that gerrard was fouled in most of those, at least we dont have to put up with the rolling and fake agony that utd fans have to put up with,
    and dont start this because the most disgusting nowhere near anyone dive was from rooney(against arsenal) who has come out with similar anti-thaetric comments to gerrard.
    so sshhh

1. You answered your own question.

1. How exactly?
    2. You're wrong.
    Listing things numerically makes them seem more comprehensive and truthful.

3. Doesnt it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Fernando Torres (19)
    Rvp ;)

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    1. How exactly?
    2. You're wrong.
    Listing things numerically makes them seem more comprehensive and truthful.
    3. Doesnt it?
    I said it in another thread today, and it doesn't seem to catch on...
    I don't like stating the obvious.

I said it in another thread today, and it doesn't seem to catch on...
    I don't like stating the obvious.

But you'll link to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    jank wrote: »
    Rvp ;)

I'm still pissed off he got injuried. Personally I thought he was a dead cert to win it, but then he kept getting injuried, 20 quid down the drain :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Galvasean wrote: »
    He must throw a lot of rocks...

as much as i like ron, he probly throws like a girl! :p

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    But you'll link to it?
    Link the obvious of what? As much as I don't like the obvious, I don't like the vauge. So, c'mon scouser, tell us what you're on about! :p

Why? Because Archimedes has a signature that says so?
    AIG would be more aptly used in "Anderson Isnt Great"
    Sissoko did more this year than Anderson did.

Utd's run in does leave a lot of room for Ronaldo to extend that lead, particularly the next 2 games, but Fergie may start resting players like he did last year. Arsenal and Liverpool with only one prolific striker each, cant afford such luxuries so it might be a tight run in yet.

It's called sarcasm mate.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Yeah, a wee bit like Dubit's sig... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Have a look at Torres' goals this season, almost all scored against weaker, lower half teams. Teams that are leaking goals like crazy, West Ham, Newcastle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    deisedevil wrote: »
    Have a look at Torres' goals this season, almost all scored against weaker, lower half teams. Teams that are leaking goals like crazy, West Ham, Newcastle!

Its the nature of any goal scorer. Look at any of the top five goal scorers. Dya think they have been banging them in against Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal & Utd ? It doesn't happen. Theres a reason the top four have only conceded about 20 goals each over 29 games.

Also, West Ham are in the top half of the table.

Torres has scored against Chelsea, Spurs, Porto x2, Portsmouth x2 & Marseille though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Heart wants Adebayor but I think Torres will get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Emmanuel Adebayor (19)
    Yeah, a wee bit like Dubit's sig... :p

Ah Id ignore that, sure Shankly himself said the trueset measure of how great a team is, is in their own domestic league. Strange how a 'Pool fan would listen to Neville instead of Shankly (presuming he's heard of Shankly) but sure you get all types of obsessed ones these days...

Archimedes wrote: »
    Ah Id ignore that, sure Shankly himself said the trueset measure of how great a team is, is in their own domestic league. Strange how a 'Pool fan would listen to Neville instead of Shankly (presuming he's heard of Shankly) but sure you get all types of obsessed ones these days...

Yeah you would ignore it would'nt ya.A classic quote from a classic player...Look there's more sarcasm:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

It's a toss up between Ronaldo and Torres, I hope it's Torres though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

kryogen wrote: »
    i dont think i will ever get tired of watching that video, its still in my favorites on youtube! some other good ones there too actually. you gotta love the scousers selective memory when it comes to this kind of stuff!! at least ronaldo doesnt come out and give interviews talking about people damaging the game for doing the same things he does!

what are you babbling on about...in fairness yes he dived in two of those incidents. But come on look at manu, Ronaldo should be a swimming instructor and then you have two foot lunge happy rooney...Stop the trolling. Only on two incidents in that clip you "never tire of watching" did stevie look for the penalty or free. Let's try to look a little closer to home next time shall we..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

well ladies ye have managed to ruin it for yourselves again.

I wonder will ye ever learn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement