Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Programme Japan

Options
  • 09-03-2008 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Has anyone ever participated in this programme?

If so, did you have much choice in where you were stationed?

Was it a good experience?

Was communication a big problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hi Conor,

I'm on the JET Programme now as I type this - sitting in the staff room.

On your application form, you can put down three preferences for places to go. I got my third choice, and I'm more than happy with it. Bear in mind that you're probably not going to get a place in Tokyo, Kyoto or Osaka. Also bear in mind that no matter where you are in Japan, you'll find it a fascinating place, with a great quality of life and plenty to do and see.

It is a good experience. The social side of things is very good, as there's a pretty tight-knit JET community. The work side of things is also good, although cultural differences do invariably arise.

My degree was in Japanese and I had previously lived in Kyoto for a year, so communication wasn't as much of an issue for me. There's still the odd problem though, but nothing major. Most of the JETs I know around here didn't have much Japanese but they're getting by just fine. It's actually a pretty easy language to learn (to a conversational level, at least).

Advertisement