Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what happens when we die

Options
  • 09-03-2008 4:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Ask a religious person this and they will say our soul goes to heaven and we meet our loved ones and we are happy forever

Ask an athiest this and they will say the same place you were before you were born no where you cease to exist

But the thing is these are only beliefs at opposite sides of the spectrum

In reality the only scientif answer one can really give is

I DONT KNOW

Basically it comes down to this for those that believe no explanation is necessary for those that dont believe no explanation will suffice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

*claps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Sir Wanksalot

That's very insightful 'timetogetfit'
    You should start your own religion/church.
    I'd join.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Its actually not nearly as reasonable as it seems.

We have zero evidence that the human personality is anything more than an expression of the brain. It is only rational to conclude that when the brain ceases to function so does the personality. Technically you are correct in saying "I don't know", but I rank it up there with vampires, unicorns and the tooth fairy: Technically the only absolutely correct answer is "We don't know if they exist", but I'd have little respect for someone who lacked the conviction to assert that they don't think these things are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

The author Terry Pratchett has a nice idea of what happens when you die,

You end up doing whatever you think you should when you die, no exceptions.

I like this approach, and have decided when i die, i'm gonna party for eternity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

After we die we will be in exactly the same state as we were before we were born, completely non-existant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

I like Jonathan Miller's analogy with a car that breaks down.
    People don't say that the car is gone, that its essence is elsewhere, or that the thing that made it a car has migrated to another plane of existence and what's left behind is just the physical shell of the inner car.
    You can point at the car and say "Look, the car is there, just like its always been, except that it doesn't work anymore.".
    Same with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

when we die, we die, we stop working

Ask a religious person this and they will say our soul goes to heaven and we meet our loved ones and we are happy forever

Ask an athiest this and they will say the same place you were before you were born no where you cease to exist

you forgot the non-heaven afterlife beliefs

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Simon.d

In reality the only scientif answer one can really give is

I DONT KNOW

I like to think of the universe acting in a cyclical nature like a perfect spring bouncing on into eternity..

The cycle starts with the big bang, with all space/energy being blasted out out from a single point and pushed up a huge gravitational hill.. After a few years (lots and lots of them) the expansion comes to a stop and it all starts contracting in on itself, returning to the start of the cycle as a singularity.. Where it all starts over again..
    So in essence, assuming the universe has been bouncing away like this for an eternity thus far, we've already spent an infinite amount of time on this planet, living out our lives with the progression of each cycle, and will live out this life time and time again, forever more.

Simon.d wrote: »
    I like to think of the universe acting in a cyclical nature like a perfect spring bouncing on into eternity..

The cycle starts with the big bang, with all space/energy being blasted out out from a single point and pushed up a huge gravitational hill.. After a few years (lots and lots of them) the expansion comes to a stop and it all starts contracting in on itself, returning to the start of the cycle as a singularity.. Where it all starts over again..
    So in essence, assuming the universe has been bouncing away like this for an eternity thus far, we've already spent an infinite amount of time on this planet, living out our lives with the progression of each cycle, and will live out this life time and time again, forever more.

And I like to think that the universe is actually a gigantic ice cream cone, but we're both just making stuff up, aren't we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

When i asked my father this question as a young child i got what i believe is the best answer.

What happens when i die dad?

Son.. when you die you are dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

OP I know where you're coming from, I have the same worldview. It's not cowardice (to come down on either side) that makes me say that I don't know if something supernatural exists, it's a lack of evidence and a lack of the feeling of 'faith' and 'belief' that some people tell me that they have.

As far as churches go, anyone in a fancy costume preaching to a crowd - no matter what day of the week they consider sacred or which animal they won't eat - I think they're bullshitting when they say that they know what happens when we die.

In an nutshell, anyone that says they know what happens when we die - I think they're lying and I have to start to look at their motivation for that.

There's no doubt that religion was enforced by rulers and politicians historically and we can all see the great and grand success that was in achieving a just society. I walked out the back door of the Vatican Museum ten years ago having just walked past the most valuable collection of art in the world, kilometers of it, and much not on display too. On the steps by the back door there was a thin woman with a babe at her breast begging. The contrast made me feel sick.
    There is no appreciable difference in the morals preached by the various churches, only differences in the details and stories, and critically, who you should give the money too. If there's a god, she's not going to want you to do anything except to live like Jesus or Buddha (after he came back from the walkabout!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Zillah wrote: »
    Its actually not nearly as reasonable as it seems.

We have zero evidence that the human personality is anything more than an expression of the brain. It is only rational to conclude that when the brain ceases to function so does the personality. Technically you are correct in saying "I don't know", but I rank it up there with vampires, unicorns and the tooth fairy: Technically the only absolutely correct answer is "We don't know if they exist", but I'd have little respect for someone who lacked the conviction to assert that they don't think these things are true.

I totally agree Zillah. I would recommend this excellent essay on the soul/dualism etc.

http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/ghost.html

(First post on this forum, yay!)

And I like to think that the universe is actually a gigantic ice cream cone, but we're both just making stuff up, aren't we?

Not really..
    The cyclic universe:nextterm.gif An informal introduction

Paul J. Steinhaxdta and Neil Turokb
    a Joseph Henry Laboratories, Department of Physics, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
    b DAMTP, Centre for Mathematical Sciences, Wilberforce Road, Cambridge, CB3 OWA, UK

Available online 9 October 2003.

Abstract

The prevterm.gifCyclicnextterm.gif Model is a radical, new cosmological scenario which proposes that the prevterm.gifUniversenextterm.gif undergoes an endless sequence of epochs which begin with a ‘big bang’ and end in a ‘big crunch.’ When the prevterm.gifUniversesnextterm.gif bounces from contraction to re-expansion, the temperature and density remain finite. The model does not include a period of rapid inflation, yet it reproduces all of the successful predictions of standard big bang and inflationary cosmology. We point out numerous novel elements that have not been used previously which may open the door to further alternative cosmologies. Although the model is motivated by M-theory, branes and extra dimensions, here we show that the scenario can be described almost entirely in terms of conventional 4d field theory and 4d cosmology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

There's no reason to assume anything magical happens when we die. I suppose it's hard to imagine the idea of our consciousness ceasing to exist, but if you've ever gone under general anaesthetic, I suppose it's easier.

Not really..

Yes really:

The universe would be entirely different every time. You still die when you die. Even if there's a big crunch and the universe begins again, you're still dead.
    iUseVi wrote: »
    I totally agree Zillah. I would recommend this excellent essay on the soul/dualism etc.

http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/ghost.html

(First post on this forum, yay!)

Bawwh! Thats, uh, a lot of reading. I'll get to it if I find myself with a few hours to kill.

Bawwh! Thats, uh, a lot of reading. I'll get to it if I find myself with a few hours to kill.

Yeah, thats a bit of a read, but his writing style is very readable. He has other great(shorter) essays on topics such as:
    http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/2000years.html

Apparantely Jesus is over 2000 years late in coming. Oh well.
    Bit off topic I know. :D:rolleyes:

Yes really:

The universe would be entirely different every time. You still die when you die. Even if there's a big crunch and the universe begins again, you're still dead.

How could the universe be entirely different every time? As energy/matter is believed to be finite an infinite number of cycles, means that every possible combination of atoms, photons, quarks, w.r.t to space and time come together an infinite amount of times.... Meaning we live this life in this format an infinite amount of times..
    Even so, it's possible, if not probable that this cycle would happen exactly the same way every time.. Doesn't really make much of a difference either way..

Even so, it's possible, if not probable that this cycle would happen exactly the same way every time..way..

Interesting, how do you come by this information? You seem very sure of yourself, are you Stephen Hawking in disguise?

From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscillatory_universe

"John Archibald Wheeler, who believed that a closed universe was necessary on general principles, speculated that the fundamental physical constants could be re-processed to new values at each bounce, providing a mechanism for anthropic selection."

Interesting, how do you come by this information? You seem very sure of yourself,..

Very unsure of everything actually! Haven't actually looked at any of the formal reading on this theory at all (outside of what I posted today), read a short bbc article about it a few years back, and it validated somewhat my own thoughts on the matter.. Just an Idea that makes sense to me, much more so than the more conventional theory of everything coming from nothing in a single big bang..

It's a comforting for there to be a rationally based probability that after death you'll be reunited with family, friends etc.

• Advertisement

Very unsure of everything actually! Haven't actually looked at any of the formal reading on this theory at all (outside of what I posted today), read a short bbc article about it a few years back, and it validated somewhat my own thoughts on the matter.. Just an Idea that makes sense to me, much more so than the more conventional theory of everything coming from nothing in a single big bang..

It's a comforting for there to be a rationally based probability that after death you'll be reunited with family, friends etc.

Comforting, yes, unfortunately comforting not = true :p

EDIT:still haven't got the hang of those smiley things

to be a rationally based probability that after death you'll be reunited with family

Is this still part of the circular universe thing or are you on something else now?

Comforting, yes, unfortunately comforting not = true

What scientific theory is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

what happens when we die

What we do know is that when a person dies they no longer have the ability to interact with this world. As to whether there is some other realm of existence you are right in saying that we don't know. However we have no evidence at all for any such thing. None whatsoever. It is unclear as to what is even meant by saying that 'I' will be alive in some way after my earthly death. What will be alive? And in what form? Will my memory be intact? This is essential as without it you are not the same person at all in any meaningful sense.

As far as I am concerned it appears 99.999999% certain that when you die you are gone and that's that. The brain that gave rise to your conscious experience of the world ceases to function and with that goes your thoughts, your dreams, your memories and everything that makes your mind the individual entity that it is. I can see why people might invent all sorts of comforting fairytales to try to circumvent such a depressing outcome, and the realisation that we are probably nothing more than temporarily animated stardust. There is some consolation in knowing that it will not be frightening or painful or anything like that, it will be just nothing. An endless dreamless sleep.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I can see why people might invent all sorts of comforting fairytales to try to circumvent such a depressing outcome, and the realisation that we are probably nothing more than temporarily animated stardust. There is some consolation in knowing that it will not be frightening or painful or anything like that, it will be just nothing. An endless dreamless sleep.

I was thinking about the nature of oblivion a while ago. I've decided that its the only ultimately fair result. If any particular religion was right then all the others were wrong, some people get justice, revenge, salvation etc, there's no conceivable way for everyone to be completely happy. So we all just cease to exist. You can't be happy, you can't be sad, you can't mourn your own death or that of others. Any and all conception of suffering is simply gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Clearly you don't believe that the universe adheres to some sort of morality. So what, then, has fairness got to do with anything?

Clearly you don't believe that the universe adheres to some sort of morality. So what, then, has fairness got to do with anything?

Everyone is treated equally, no one is left with the reality of having been wrong, no one suffers anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I was thinking about the nature of oblivion a while ago. I've decided that its the only ultimately fair result.

True. But then again the Universe doesn't really do 'fair'. In a way it's unfair that we are here in this life not having a clue of what it all means, or if indeed it actually means anything at all. But fair doesn't really come into it. Though given that the Universe appears cold and indifferent to our whims it appears likely that whatever our fate it will apply to us all equally, and oblivion is the only option that satisfies that.
    If any particular religion was right then all the others were wrong, some people get justice, revenge, salvation etc, there's no conceivable way for everyone to be completely happy.

Unfortunately this appears not to trouble alot of religious people. Not one bit. It's amazing how so many followers of the 'loving and caring' religion that is Christianity are more than happy to see the rest of us burn so long as they are proved right.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    True. But then again the Universe doesn't really do 'fair'.

I do, in my own subjective way.

• Advertisement

To think of all the billions of people throughout history that did not believe in the right religion that are going to hell -- compared to the special few that make it to heaven. And this is a just and good God? Not in my books.

Advertisement