Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what happens when we die

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

aidan24326 wrote: »
    .....probably nothing more than temporarily animated stardust.

I like that expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Zillah wrote: »
    I was thinking about the nature of oblivion a while ago. I've decided that its the only ultimately fair result. If any particular religion was right then all the others were wrong, some people get justice, revenge, salvation etc, there's no conceivable way for everyone to be completely happy. So we all just cease to exist. You can't be happy, you can't be sad, you can't mourn your own death or that of others. Any and all conception of suffering is simply gone.

I completely agree, either let everyone into Heaven irregardless of belief or else no afterlife at all.

Imagine people were given a choice before being born between either living in a Universe with no God and all events were driven by fundamental laws of science and death was the absolute end of their existance or else they could be born into a seemingly identical Universe but which definitely had a God, however they are informed that there were a million different belief systems all with exactly the same evidence, if they pick the one right religion they will be enormously rewarded, pick any one of the numerous other wrong religions and they will suffer eternal torment and torture. How many people, believers or not, would choose the Universe with a jealous God? I would bet that the vast majority of Christians would prefer the atheistic Universe if all things were equal and they didn't have the benefit of being brought up in what they know for a fact as being the one correct religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Simon.d

The concept of heaven is quite scary if you think about it.. Imagine being conscious for an eternity, you'd go off your nut.. You'd have done everything an infinite amount of times, meaning heaven would inevitably turn into a version of hell.. You'd be trapped for an eternity doing some extremely monotonous tasks (i.e. existing)..

A finite full stop would be a much more pleasant ending to it all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

agreed,
    I'm trying to think of something fun to do for the long weekend and I'm finding that hard, an eternity of free time? no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

Speaking of heaven....

This guy turns up at the pearly gates and is met by an angel.
    "Come on in!!!" he's told, "All are welcome!"
    "What?" He replied, "Don't you want to review my life and balance my good deeds and my sins?"
    "Nah!" replied the smiling angel, "Everyone gets in."
    He takes the man by the hand and leads him in to the sort of idyllic scene he'd only ever seen in Whams "Club Tropicana" video.
    "Look" said the angel pointing, "There's Hitler play ping-pong with Gandhi"
    "Even Hitler's here???", exclaimed the incredulous new arrival.
    The angel explained, "When you die you are instantly confronted with the full list of all the bad things you ever did. For that instant, you experience all the horror and pain you caused during your life, the full measure of your guilt is laid bare, and you recognise the error of your ways, and then all is forgiven. You are then free to spend eternity in any way that makes you happy!"

The man wanders round greeting old friends and family for weeks, having the most wonderful time.

One day he comes running up to the angel, looking upset.
    "Hey!" he said, "Look at this."
    He brought the angel to an area enclosed by a high wall and locked by a huge iron-bound gate. From inside the voices of people could just be heard.
    "I thought you said everyone was allowed to be happy here?"

"They are." said the angel, "That's just the catholics. They like to think they're the only ones here!" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Do you know what next week's lotto numbers are? No? Neither do I, neither does anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

aidan24326 wrote:
    .....probably nothing more than temporarily animated stardust.
    I like that expression.

Carl Sagan gets the credit for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Simon.d wrote: »
    The concept of heaven is quite scary if you think about it.. Imagine being conscious for an eternity, you'd go off your nut.. You'd have done everything an infinite amount of times, meaning heaven would inevitably turn into a version of hell.. You'd be trapped for an eternity doing some extremely monotonous tasks (i.e. existing)..

A finite full stop would be a much more pleasant ending to it all..

But imagine partying for eternity! thats my idea. I've never had two parties end up the same, and with everyone in heaven, you'd be meeting new people all the time! Man, i hope there's a chugging contest too....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

This is the only life we know.
    I'd rather try to have it extended than imagine a false heaven.
    I dig transhumanism meself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Spaceman Spiff

Death is just like it was before you were born.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

What was that like? I don't remember :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

You mean the early 1980s? Are you trying to tell me that I am doomed to spend eternity in pre-Celtic Tiger Ireland under Charlie Haughey :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Spaceman Spiff

You mean the early 1980s? Are you trying to tell me that I am doomed to spend eternity in pre-Celtic Tiger Ireland under Charlie Haughey :eek:.
    Nobody ever said death was easy.

Advertisement