Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband throttling uploads?

Options
  • 09-03-2008 5:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

My IBB connection is usually rock steady and I get nearly the full bandwidth of the 2mb connection, however it went down for about 24 hours and now that its back up the upload speed is ****e, speed tests on various websites show that the median upload speed is roughly half of what it was previously. The download speed is still fine, anyone else experienced anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pedropumpalot

Where are you living? What high site are you connected to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Uthred

Living just outside Dundalk, on the ESB Dundalk highsite. It turns out that my original problem was some **** up on IBB's side, after four different tech support guys and five hours on the phone (and a charming 20 quid phone bill to match) I finally got them to admit it wasnt a problem with my router/computer/psychic emanations and got the problem fixed. Part of this fix was getting a new Ip address, since the Ip address change the service has been working but the connection has been ****.

Its a 2mb line but on direct downloads I'll be lucky to get 100k where I was getting the full 200k before, and torrents are entirely banjaxed the best I can get is about 50k even on well seeded stuff like linux distro's whereas I usually got the full 200k before. Ive contacted the support team, via email this time, and Ive ran their little tests and sent back the (****e) results. But I havent heard anything from them since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Uthred

Well after sending in five sets of speed tests as per their instructions, all of which showed my new top speed of around 100k, no matter what time of day it is I finally got a response. I wish I could say I was surprised by their answer:

"I can see that you are receiving a slow connection...Maybe there is an issue on your end."

The same rubbish they spout every time theyre contacted. What makes it even more aggravating is that I outlined to them that I had done the tests with two different computers and two different routers, all of which work fine on a friends Breeze connection and all of which worked fine prior to their "system error" and the assignment of my new Ip address. Just on the off chance that both computers and routers had developed spontaneous problems I borrowed a friends laptop and had the same problem with speed. I sent that off to them so Im sure tomorrow (ha more likely sometime next week) I'll get a mail back saying that my cursed aura has broken another computer.

Advertisement