Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving licence - expires on day of test

Options
  • 09-03-2008 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

My provisional licence is valid until 10 April - the day of my test. Will this be a problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Parnassia wrote: »
    My provisional licence is valid until 10 April - the day of my test. Will this be a problem?
    No, but it might be a good idea to apply for another in the interim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Parnassia

No, but it might be a good idea to apply for another in the interim.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

Its a bit dodgy, because testers can be very picky about small things. I would say get it renewed asap because it sounds like it april 9th is the last day the license is valid.

Its a bit dodgy, because testers can be very picky about small things. I would say get it renewed asap because it sounds like it april 9th is the last day the license is valid.
    The licence is valid until midnight on the day of expiry. The examiner can't discriminate against someone who presents a valid licence. If the licence is out of date the test is abandoned. If the licence is valid, the test goes ahead (providing all else is in order).

It's black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

It's black and white.

I don't think they'll accept photocopied licenses even if they are in date. ;)

• Advertisement

The licence is valid until midnight on the day of expiry.

Source? Can't find anything on the net which says that, hence why I'm telling him it's better to be safe and get it renewed. The license might well be expired ON the expiry date, unless you can show me where it says any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Source? Can't find anything on the net which says that, hence why I'm telling him it's better to be safe and get it renewed. The license might well be expired ON the expiry date, unless you can show me where it says any different.

A driving licence has no expiry time, only date so the licence actually expires at 12mn on the 11th.

No need to get a new one for the test. Anyway if OP did get a new one he may not get until after the start date of the new licence therefore having no licence for his/her test.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The validity dates on a Driving Licence (or provisional or Learner's permit) clearly say "From" and "To". Both "From" and "To" include the dates indicated. There's no need for any "source" to explain that simple fact.

If you booked a hotel room from Monday to Friday, you wouldn't expect to be turfed out on Thursday, would you?

phutyle wrote: »
    The validity dates on a Driving Licence (or provisional or Learner's permit) clearly say "From" and "To". Both "From" and "To" include the dates indicated. There's no need for any "source" to explain that simple fact.

If you booked a hotel room from Monday to Friday, you wouldn't expect to be turfed out on Thursday, would you?

The difference being 1 is 5 days and 1 is over 700 days. It does not say anywhere on my license valid to "end of" date. What harm can come from renewing it early just to be careful anyway?

Source?
    The date is printed on the licence. There is no need to provide a 'source' for something so ridiculously simple. If the licence expires the day before, it would have the previous day's date on it.
    What harm can come from renewing it early just to be careful anyway?
    No harm at all but you are changing your tune now.

The question refered to the validity of the licence on the day of the test

A new licence would not be valid until the following day and therefore would be of no interest to the driving examiner. He/she would only want to see a valid licence for the day of the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The difference being 1 is 5 days and 1 is over 700 days. It does not say anywhere on my license valid to "end of" date. What harm can come from renewing it early just to be careful anyway?

The length of time has nothing to do with it: if you booked a hotel room from 12/03/2007 to 15/09/2025, you wouldn't be expected to be turfed out on the 14/09/2025, would you? "From" and "To" are pretty simple, concrete concepts.

And no, your licence doesn't say anything about being valid to the "end of" anything. It says it's valid to a particular date. And so it is! It's not a "best before" date like you get on bread - the licence is actually valid to that date, and not valid after it.

And as Wishbone Ash pointed out, there's not point in the OP bringing along the renewed licence to the test - it won't be valid until the next day, and they'd then be refused the test on the grounds of not having a valid licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

It does not say anywhere on my license valid to "end of" date. What harm can come from renewing it early just to be careful anyway?

I think I know what you are getting at here. Are you saying there is no end date on your licence? If you look at the categories on page 2 of your licence and the vehicles you can drive say Category B the end date of your licence is printed beside that.

Each person who has a licence with a person file number. I'd imagine that you could not receive a new driving licence till the old one expires. It would be the same a one person having two licences at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

TheNog wrote: »
    Each person who has a licence with a person file number. I'd imagine that you could not receive a new driving licence till the old one expires. It would be the same a one person having two licences at the same time

You could apply for a replacement for a lost licence although it's probably an offence to apply under false pretences :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

Same thing happened me when i had my test. I applied for a new one and they put a note on it saying i needed it back asap because of my test, got it back quicker then normal. They said to get a new one (even though it was still in date, just in case you don't pass) ;) good advice all the same cause i didnt pass and still had a renewed licence rather then an expired one and having to wait 10days or whatever..

Advertisement