Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picnic Spots

Options
  • 09-03-2008 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭

My parents are coming over on Easter Sunday and they would like to go for a picnic (if it's not raining) on Easter Monday. Can anybody recommend some lovely picnic spots?
    Also are shops open Easter Monday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

in the county or the town, think there are some areas along the garvouge past the blue lagon, just follow the river out of town, not sure of the name of the area

think there also might be a few areas around lough gill as well

as for the shops, would propbably say their all closed, one or two at the retail park might be open

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Hazelwood would be a good spot.
    Slios Wood also.

Its a shame what has happeded to Hazelwood! Those who remember what it was like in the 80's and early 90's will tell you it was an amazing spot with some brilliant Wooden Sculptures until they were all vandalised!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

We've had a few picnics out at Parkes Castle, and then take the boat trip back to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

That's in Leitrim!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Snark

if it's a calm day - that's important - the beach at Lissaddell (there are some benches) has a nice view over to Rosses Point. Likewise with a climb of Knocknarea - flasked tea nevers tastes as good.

• Advertisement

Gillie wrote: »
    That's in Leitrim!

I'm damned, damned I tell ya...

Roll out the Leitruuum (anyone know to spell it?) V Sligo anecdotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gillie wrote: »
    That's in Leitrim!
    Sure we've claimed it anyways - that and Glencar Waterfall..

.. i'm joking! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

sueme wrote: »
    We've had a few picnics out at Parkes Castle, and then take the boat trip back to town.

*clears throat*
    Lough Gill. The nice bit as in the unspoilt bit with preservation of national heritage in Parkes castle, watch out for the deers, and wildlife etc. That would be the Leitrim bit (pls note spelling, ;))
    The Nasty bit with vandalism in Hazelwood and Spanish type apartments built on it and pallava about docking a boat..... That would be the Sligo bit. :p *

* Gulp. Only kiddin really. I am from Sligo meself.

tuppence wrote: »
    *clears throat*
    Lough Gill. The nice bit as in the unspoilt bit with preservation of national heritage in Parkes castle, watch out for the deers, and wildlife etc. That would be the Leitrim bit (pls note spelling, ;))

Enjoy your moment of glory Tuppence....

It may be the only one you ever have...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

We've been through this before.

Leitrim is nothing but fields and farmers! Anything nice is in Sligo! :D

I would go with Hazelwood. It's lovely out there!

• Advertisement

sueme wrote: »
    Enjoy your moment of glory Tuppence....

It may be the only one you ever have...
    Why do I hear Ennio Morriconi music?
    Gulp+1 :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

takola wrote: »
    We've been through this before.

Leitrim is nothing but fields and farmers! Anything nice is in Sligo! :D

I would go with Hazelwood. It's lovely out there!

Please don't forget us blowins, thank you very much!;)

Thank you very much for the suggestions though!

Lissadell House and Knocknarea as snark says.
    Otherwise, Carrowkeel in castlebaldwin. Wonderful megalithic tombs and view over surrounds is classic.
    Cullentra on the Leitrim Sligo border (on trek called the Sligo way) where the government planted millenium trees for some of the population in 2000. From Dromahair- take the carraroe sligo road, after the turnoff for Ballintogher take the right down for about a mile or so down past a thatched cottage to a little jetty where you get view of lake isle of Innisfree. There's normally a couple of donkeys and even a public toilet (!). Theres some nice woodland walks before you get to the jetty which may be an idea for a picnic. Otherwise, there also a picnic area by the water near the Millenium sculpture.
    You should make a trip to tobernalt holy well as its easter too. You could find a cosy spot around there too for a picnic. Its quite an interesting place.:)

Please don't forget us blowins, thank you very much!;)

Thank you very much for the suggestions though!

Sssshhhhhhhh! We're pretending you're in Sligo and all! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

takola wrote: »
    Sssshhhhhhhh! We're pretending you're in Sligo and all! :D

DOH! Done it again - blown my cover:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

hazelwood on a nice day,go for a walk,feed the swans,picnic....= happy parents

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Ladies Brae in the OX mountains is nice, amazing views of sligo bay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Hazelwood, or Rosses Point / Strandhill maybe?

Something I was thinking about the other day aswell, I know there was a lot of trouble around the Back Avenue, I often went for runs around that area.
    There was signs for "gay cruzing" (think that was how it was spelt), heard a few people mentioning that it was getting a bad reputation, dodgy looking men hanging around there by themselves etc...
    People I know who would have brought their kids out there on weekends have stopped going.

Hazelwood, or Rosses Point / Strandhill maybe?

Something I was thinking about the other day aswell, I know there was a lot of trouble around the Back Avenue, I often went for runs around that area.
    There was signs for "gay cruzing" (think that was how it was spelt), heard a few people mentioning that it was getting a bad reputation, dodgy looking men hanging around there by themselves etc...
    People I know who would have brought their kids out there on weekends have stopped going.

Yeah I remember going out there with my mam and brothers when I was little. Used to be a great spot for picnic's during the summer!

Have heard a couple of bad things about it now though so wouldn't head out there now!

Where is the Back Avenue?

Probably best I don't ask anyone in RL, in case they think I'm y'know "looking" for it...

• Advertisement

Basically if you follow the river from fiddlers creek over by toffs and keep following it for a mile or two out that road. It's on the left there.

Gotcha, thanks. Doorly Park Walk to us blow-ins.

That'd be the one!! Sorry, Brain = mush today (Actually that's fairly permanent! :D) and it was the best I could do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Doorly Park is a lovely place, great to walk along and look at all the boats.
    Hazelwood is lovely too, although I spent hours looking for the sculptures and was told afterwards they'd gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Glencar (The Glen is split half Sligo half Leitrim, Leitrim has the waterfall while Sligo has the more spectacular Scenery)
    Before you come to the waterfall, there is bog road leading onto the mountain, it twists and turns quite steeply but you can drive up, walk or push a bike (a great cycle down). When you reach the top walk west (turn left) towards the sea until you come to the cliff top. Be very careful, while there is a path of sorts the grass can get quite slippy. Follow the path along the cliff top, the views are spectacular and the drop sheer, watch out for the peregrines. Break out the bottle of red wine and your sarnies and have a vertiginous and exhilarating picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Streedagh excellent place if the day is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Glencar (The Glen is split half Sligo half Leitrim, Leitrim has the waterfall while Sligo has the more spectacular Scenery)
    Before you come to the waterfall, there is bog road leading onto the mountain, it twists and turns quite steeply but you can drive up, walk or push a bike (a great cycle down). When you reach the top walk west (turn left) towards the sea until you come to the cliff top. Be very careful, while there is a path of sorts the grass can get quite slippy. Follow the path along the cliff top, the views are spectacular and the drop sheer, watch out for the peregrines. Break out the bottle of red wine and your sarnies and have a vertiginous and exhilarating picnic.

Not nice in summer if there's no breeze. Last time i was up there the gigantic midges were mad. It wasn't so much that I was eaten as trampled by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

tuppence wrote: »
    Lissadell
    Otherwise, Carrowkeel in castlebaldwin. Wonderful megalithic tombs and view over surrounds is classic.

second this http://carrowkeel.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

magnumlady wrote: »
    Doorly Park is a lovely place, great to walk along and look at all the boats.
    Hazelwood is lovely too, although I spent hours looking for the sculptures and was told afterwards they'd gone.

Actually why were the sculptures removed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Actually why were the sculptures removed?

I believe they were vandalised.

There are a couple left standing, though.

To be quite honest, making outdoor sculptures out of wood was probably a stupid idea.

Advertisement