Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picnic Spots

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Xiney wrote: »
    I believe they were vandalised.

There are a couple left standing, though.

To be quite honest, making outdoor sculptures out of wood was probably a stupid idea.

I don't agree. Why shouldn't they! What's stupid is muppets who go and wreck them while "minker drinkin"!
    When I was growing up Hazelwood was a lovely spot - even more so because of the Sculptures.
    Still a grand place to have a picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I agree, they were awesome sculptures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Gillie wrote: »
    I don't agree. Why shouldn't they! What's stupid is muppets who go and wreck them while "minker drinkin"!
    When I was growing up Hazelwood was a lovely spot - even more so because of the Sculptures.
    Still a grand place to have a picnic.

Wood doesn't stand up to the elements, though. Even if they hadn't been vandalised, they'd be falling apart by now anyhow.

Wood doesn't stand up to the elements, though. Even if they hadn't been vandalised, they'd be falling apart by now anyhow.

If they were treated properly they would have!

Eh, it just seems to me like it was a cheepo solution to try and get some culture into Sligo - an attempt to create something of a tourist trap that fell slightly short.

Don't mind me though, I'm rather cynical when it comes to publicly funded art...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

There are still giant toadstools standing in the wood, so they have stood the test of time.
    I can't stand mindless vandelism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Don't mind me though, I'm rather cynical when it comes to publicly funded art...

No body mention the project to house all the swans across from Toffs :D

Sorry - back on topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

No body mention the project to house all the swans across from Toffs :D

Sorry - back on topic...

Hmmm...

I'd have preferred a few more hospital beds for the money. Swans wouldn't be a high social priority of mine.

Eh, it just seems to me like it was a cheepo solution to try and get some culture into Sligo - an attempt to create something of a tourist trap that fell slightly short.

Christ you sure are!
    I really don't think that they had that kind of agenda!
    It was an enchanting place when I was young so no matter what their methods may have been the end result was a success in my opinion!

I often headed down there with a roll/sandwich to get away from work for an hour.
    Truely relaxing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Even without vandalism they were falling apart. The timber cracked, became slimy and the joints got loose. They were done in a once off project and seemingly had no provisions in place for maintainance other than hauling them away when they became dangerous.
    It used to be brilliant when I was a kid. You were nobody if you hadn't been there:)

• Advertisement

il gatto wrote: »
    Even without vandalism they were falling apart. The timber cracked, became slimy and the joints got loose. They were done in a once off project and seemingly had no provisions in place for maintainance other than hauling them away when they became dangerous.
    It used to be brilliant when I was a kid. You were nobody if you hadn't been there:)

Yes, a good example of this is the statue of the sitting man. He's falling apart at the one shoulder... suspect it won't be long until they take him away.

The mushrooms are starting to show some rather intensive wear and tear too, although as a simpler structure they would have fared better anyway.

Another 10,15 years and I'll be surprised if they're still identifiable, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Did you have your picnic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

We thought we'd take it easy because Maw and Paw were driving ALL day Sunday, so we thought we'd give them a break.
    The plan is, we're going to the eagles flying on Saturday (maybe not too early coz we're going to our favourite local pub Friday night so my Dad can get a traditional session as well).
    Will keep you posted if you wish for a sunny day for us.:D

Advertisement