Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know people when your new to Waterford

• 09-03-2008 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hey Everybody!

I am new to this site so bare with me !:)

I recently moved to Waterford City, well if I be honest I have been here for a couple of months now...anyways I have found it hard to get to meet/know people in Waterford. I work with a small outfit so there is not many colleagues of the same age etc. in the office...so work is a bit of a deadend...
    I am Irish, I have lots of friends within Ireland and I have travelled a fair bit so I have friends in other parts of the world so I am finding it strange for it to be so difficult to meet people here!

Anyways I was wondering if there are other people in Waterford in a similar situation? Or can people suggest good ways of meeting ppl here?

BTW I have joined a club down here...so that's a start!
    I am sporty but not into team sports...so that idear is not really a starter...

Anyways it would be good to here of your ideas

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭henboy9

hey there welcome -lots of sound people on this site u'll make friends in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 **newbie**

cool cheers henboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well, be sure to come along to the beers we're having in a while.

What interests do you have? Is possible someone here can point you in the right direction of a group/club or social outing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Welcome newbie,

I'm 11+ years in Waterford, met my deise husband in London on a blind date and ended up here after we had our first child. ;)

I didn't like Waterford initially and it took me at least 18 months to settle. I found it a culture shock and found it hard to meet people as I got pregnant straight after moving here so was very isolated. I went from living in a big city working full time to suddenly be renting in a rural area with a toddler and another one on the way and not knowing anyone except the inlaws who are enough to put anyone off a place :( I think I spent the first 18 months nagging hubby to move back to London. Thank god we didn't move back to London.

Now I love Waterford and couldn't imagine moving anywhere else. It does take time and it did take time to readjust to some irish ways of life such as living in the valley of the twitching nets :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

deisemum wrote: »
    Welcome newbie,

I'm 11+ years in Waterford, met my deise husband in London on a blind date and ended up here after we had our first child. ;)

I didn't like Waterford initially and it took me at least 18 months to settle. I found it a culture shock and found it hard to meet people as I got pregnant straight after moving here so was very isolated. I went from living in a big city working full time to suddenly be renting in a rural area with a toddler and another one on the way and not knowing anyone except the inlaws who are enough to put anyone off a place :( I think I spent the first 18 months nagging hubby to move back to London. Thank god we didn't move back to London.

Now I love Waterford and couldn't imagine moving anywhere else. It does take time and it did take time to readjust to some irish ways of life such as living in the valley of the twitching nets :D

please explain that last bit, it has me mind boggled

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Twitching net curtains? As in people looking out windows from behind the curtain when you pass?

Twitching nets, yeah it's sometimes like living in a fish bowl, your every move is noted and add that to all the gossip be it true or not takes some getting used to :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

There was a book called Valley Of The Squinting Windows by Brinsley MacNamara that I read a few years back.
    That was my guess as to the twitching nets thing.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Well, be sure to come along to the beers we're having in a while.

What interests do you have? Is possible someone here can point you in the right direction of a group/club or social outing?

Cheers for teh invite sounds good...keep me posted!

As regards interests..well I am thinkin of trying out surfing...but I am waiting until it gets a lil warmer...I'm gonna try a spanish class too..but the ones I have looked up dont start until September...
    into guitar, cycling (mountain biking)..but would try anything once

longshanks wrote: »
    [/b]

please explain that last bit, it has me mind boggled
    Welcome newbie,

Cheers for the advice...tbh I hope it does not take that long to settle...I can only see myself being here for a year or a year and a half....will be off travelling or uni again I reckon...
    btw I am used to the twitching windows I am originally from a small town :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

As for the Surfing - Tramore is a good spot for lessons there are two surf schools there (both ISA approved) to get you started.

I've been surfing for over a year now and I love it, theres a pretty good social scene to it I find, you always end up chatting to other surfers in the car parks at the beaches and stuff.

I second the notion of going to the boards beers too theres more details in the thread here. Its on the 15th of March, i've been to one or two myself before and found everyone to be really nice and easy to get on with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

**newbie** wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice...tbh I hope it does not take that long to settle...I can only see myself being here for a year or a year and a half....will be off travelling or uni again I reckon...
    btw I am used to the twitching windows I am originally from a small town :)

Welcome Newbie

Ah YES one year only, I came here ten years ago (after spending 13 years travelling , living and working in 10/12 other countries ), for the famous one year. This City has a way of trapping you ( in a good way )
    So go luck with that.

Again welcome and enjoy your stay however long it may prove to be.
    Ps where you from originally (if you don't mind answering )

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Welcome Newbie

Ah YES one year only, I came here ten years ago (after spending 13 years travelling , living and working in 10/12 other countries ), for the famous one year. This City has a way of trapping you ( in a good way )
    So go luck with that.

Again welcome and enjoy your stay however long it may prove to be.
    Ps where you from originally (if you don't mind answering )

Haha...ya never know I might stay here longer...but I reckon I really am too young to be settlin' down! Defo want to travel a lot more before I choose where I make my home!

I am from Carlow originally...lived in Dublin for about 5 yrs...Clare on work for a short time and Oz...

We'll see if Waterford traps me!

THe charm of the Waterford men has scuppered many well intended plans and once you're hooked it's very hard to leave :D

THe charm of the Waterford men has scuppered many well intended plans and once you're hooked it's very hard to leave :D

I'm sure they are but they aren't that interesting to me...being a hetero man of course! Hopefully the Waterford ladies are as charming :)

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

**newbie** wrote: »
    I'm sure they are but they aren't that interesting to me...being a hetero man of course! Hopefully the Waterford ladies are as charming :)

hehe thought you were a girl to :rolleyes:

ehh..why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I think its probably the **'s in the name for some reason, I thought the same too

right i am gonna change

• Advertisement

seems like I cant change my user name...but see signature below...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its the **newbie** thing can be considered feminine. Sorry, I made the same mistake myself :p

You need to subscribe to Boards to change your name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

We were all duped! (I made the same mistake)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

We were all duped! (I made the same mistake)

You called yourself a girls name or something suggesting you were a girl?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

i for one welcome the idea of not knowing what sex someone is* it makes for an altogether more interesting night out but unfortunately quite a scary morning after
    anyway newbie welcome to the deise hope you enjoy your stay however long it is ,seems to me you are already making a big effort to mix and meet people keep up that attitude and you'll get on grand
    best of luck

*i myself am a 72 year old nympho nanny with a fetish for sun kissed moisturiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭henboy9

SUNGOD wrote: »
    i for one welcome the idea of not knowing what sex someone is* it makes for an altogether more interesting night out but unfortunately quite a scary morning after
    anyway newbie welcome to the deise hope you enjoy your stay however long it is ,seems to me you are already making a big effort to mix and meet people keep up that attitude and you'll get on grand
    best of luck

*i myself am a 72 year old nympho nanny with a fetish for sun kissed moisturiser
    sun kissed moisturiser
    sounds messy

Advertisement