Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small office network question

Options
  • 09-03-2008 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My friend has a small office with 4 people working in it.

What he wants is to have 1 hard drive that they can all access from there own PC. He also wants to have programs running on this Hard Drive that others can run on there own PC's, In this case it's Invoicing software ( I know he will need multiuser licences)

What do i need to have this up and running?

Could i use a External HD hooked up to a HUB ?
    Also each PC is connected to the NET so this might be using the lan port.

Can i use the HUB to sort this out aswell?

Like have the internet coming in one 1 line and spliting it out to the others ? while having the External HD on it as well ?

any info would be great
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage

As regards running the same program from it for multiple users that could get tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

NeVeR wrote: »
    What he wants is to have 1 hard drive that they can all access from there own PC. He also wants to have programs running on this Hard Drive that others can run on there own PC's, In this case it's Invoicing software ( I know he will need multiuser licences)
    You will need to make sure that the software itself supports multiple simultaneous users.
    What do i need to have this up and running?
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1282090&productID=S3646483
    Could i use a External HD hooked up to a HUB ?
    Also each PC is connected to the NET so this might be using the lan port.

Can i use the HUB to sort this out aswell?

Like have the internet coming in one 1 line and spliting it out to the others ? while having the External HD on it as well ?

any info would be great
    thanks.
    The above NAS HDD has an ethernet port on it so that it can plug into a switch.

How many PCs will be on the network?
    What type of internet connection is there already?
    Which routers etc or other network equipment is already in place?
    Do they have a comms cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Hi,
    Thanks for the links.

At the moment all they have are 3 stand alone PC's,, 1 of them has the internet connected to it. This one has the software needed for invoicing as well.

No routers/hubs/Cabinets nothing..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

They'll need a router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Id personally throw in another PC with a large 7200rpm HDD, basically a server. A box from dell with 4GB of ram and 320gb drive is something like 279.00 with a monitor. As the boys say check all the software first and then get a switch not a hub.

• Advertisement
Advertisement