Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

webring - i want to create one - question ?

Options
  • 09-03-2008 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

hi there,

i am building a site for a hotel in wicklow and im also going to do a bit of SEO.
    what i would like to do is exchange links with other hotels in ireland- my idea is to create a webring- basically meaning getting 2 hotels per county on board to exchange links with all the hotels in the webring (ie 2 x 32 counties = 64).
    however i want to simplify this process.

one option is to take the details of each hotel and create the page and once i have the 64 hotels then i send a page to be published by each other site

however the problem is that if a hotel does not publish this i dont want to be going back to the other 63 hotels saying take those guys off the list.

does anyone have any ideas about how i could automate the process so as i could remove the 'bold' hotel and they will automatically be removed from the list ?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Keep the list of hotels on your own server as some kind of editable file and have the other sites pull that when displaying the page? Cache the file on their side and refresh periodically as needed to make sure its always current?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

Keep the list of hotels on your own server as some kind of editable file and have the other sites pull that when displaying the page? Cache the file on their side and refresh periodically as needed to make sure its always current?

Hi Aidan

yes that would be the idea alright - however how would that be easiest dooable ? and with what technology ? if i created a javascript file to print off the links would google pick up the links (considering it would be js) ?

i want to make it as easy for the other hotels to do as possible

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

The "easiest" way is just plain simple html and an <iframe>. You remain in complete control, when one of the other websites loads, it loads that page from your server, pretending its their own.

The downside is that it's not very SEO friendly as robots don't/can't/wont index frames. Also, it most likely wouldn't be associated with the respective websites in terms of links.

If seo is important, then either asp.net, php, or ajax would be the way to go. You would use the same content, just the way the server goes about getting it would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

If this is for SEO purposes I'd think again. Webrings are considered similarly to "link farms" by Google AFAIK, so it may actually hurt your sites to be part of one (in terms of SE visibility/ranking

Advertisement