Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My silly stupid knee AGAIN

• 09-03-2008 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055156466

I'm not the kinda guy who believes everything Google tells me. However, after a long and annoying stint of running in mud around January, my knee poblem came back. I feel knee twinges and stiffness virtually every other day now.

I went to my local physio before Christmas who really didn't locate my problem. She just gave me some stretching exercises and prscribed a pair of insoles for my running shoes.

My knee problem is pretty much ever present now even though it's been 'resting' since early January.

A couple of searches has shown up (I mean ffs) "runner's knee" (Chondromalacia) as a "common knee ailment" answering all my symptoms and observations. Down to being more prevailant in women because of their tendency to have less straight knee joints- I'm noticeably but not seriously knock-kneed.

Anyone had this or have any idea what exercises might help it. I've had this problem since last August and I think it might be the surgeons table for me now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

I was in a similar situation for a while. I started taking some glucosamine sulphate which has helped immensely. It might be worth trying yourself: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/gastelu4.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭tracy1002

Do you by any chance have fallen or low arches. Daughter had the same thing and after nearly a year of knee injuries, and many doctor and physio visits it was discovered she had low arches which caused a strain on her knee. Got a gait assessment done and a pair of orthotics and touch wood, no problems since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Thanks guys. Looking into glucosamine sulphate.

re fallen arches, I actually had this too but it was A problem, seemingly not THE problem. I thought I had flat feet since I was a child but as it happens, I have bad ankles causing my feet to 'rotate' inwards, which looked like fallen arches. Physio prescribed insoles which I feel made a huge difference but I never felt I was free of knee trouble. Sucessfully ran very day from Nov to Jan when knee problem came back as bad as ever and I feel that the break (which I've read is a significant part of treatment) has made any difference. I feel as if I went and ran tomorrow, I'd be limping home after a half lap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Don't talk to me about knee problems i had problems for 6 months, gave up football etc to focus on running again and still har problems for 6 months after.

Ended up changing my footware for work, people always focus on having good footwear to run in but the footware you spend most you day in can cause problems too for knee shin back , depending on your job also.

Might be worth checking for me i had to get rid of flat shoes and it worked. no problems for the last 3 - 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ciaran15

Hi there,
    I suffered for two years with my knee and recently found the pysio company in Temple Bar in Dublin. They sorted me out after only two session. They did dry needling and gave me a heap of excercies. That was in Dec and I'm currently training for the Connemarathon...worth a try

• Advertisement
Advertisement