Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Water Swimming

• 09-03-2008 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm dying to get back out and do some open water swimming. What month would be considered the month to start back? I will be swimming in a Lake or River, so no sea swims.

Thanks,
    Phil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Phil01

Seriously is there a lack of triathlete's in this forum that can't even give a ball park month here??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Depends on your tolerance for the cold, and how cold the water in these lakes and river is. I know plenty of guys swimming in the sea right through winter (currently ~6 deg C) for over 30 minutes without a wetsuit, personally i've managed around 15 minutes the last few times i've been in.

We could be talking colder in Lakes and Rivers - do you have an idea how cold your chosen sites are and how warm your wetsuit is going to keep you? I'd reccomend short dips initially and try not to push yourself too far. When hypothermia sets in it's hard to pull and your judgement is impaired, so you could think you're ok when you're actually screwed. If you can't get anyone mad enough to swim with you - get someone to watch you and raise the alarm should anything go wrong. Bring earplugs - cold water really hurts the ears. Wear a good hat (or two). Bring a flask of soup or some other hot beverage and lots of warm clothes. Bring flipflops so you feet aren't on the cold ground when you're getting changed.

Maybe ask the guys on www.tritalk.co.uk...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'll be getting back in the water in early may hopefully but I mostly swim in the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Phil01

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm farily tolerant to the cold but im no way hard core, no chance of me getting in without wetsuit. I reckon May sound's like an ideal month to start.

Also Killgore Trout whats the point of this forum if i should ask the guys on tritalk. I'm sure there are hundreads of other website forums for every topic on boards. If peoples answers were go to such and such forum, then whats the point of boards. But thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I've often wondered what the point in this board was to be honest. There is rarely any decent discussions or topics on triathlon or marathons posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

tunney wrote: »
    I've often wondered what the point in this board was to be honest. There is rarely any decent discussions or topics on triathlon or marathons posted.

Harsh and untrue. There are 23 threads on teh front page of this board. Apart from teh MCD stickie there are 9 directly about marathons or triathlons, 3 discussing either triathlon or marathon training and 8 or so (depending how you count it) looking for advice on injuries (which are a fairly big part of marathon or triathlon training). The odments are my thread on 10k racing or kit questions.

I personally like this board - good bunch of non-elitist posters who have a lot of expertise and are happy to share it. It does seem predominantly marathon rather than tri but I can't see how you can complain about a lack of decent discussion or topics.

If it's that bad why come here at all?

Advertisement