Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

altenator broken?

Options
  • 09-03-2008 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

MY 00 Opel corsa wouldnt start today, it didnt even really try!

I last used it on friday, i moved it about 2 car lengths into a better parking spot and it kinda laboured a tiny bit before starting. The last time i properly drove it was monday.

Definitly didnt leave any lights on, radio was plugged out.

Battery is not charged up, internal light is very weak and the central locking is not working either.

Battery is no older than 3 years old, as i have the car 3 years and i have changed it once already.

Any point jumping it? I've exams all this week and next and i dunno do i have time to bring it anywhere to fix it. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

It sounds like your battery is on it's last legs.

Try jumping it - if it works, bring the car for a spin (don't conk it or knock it off:D) When you get it back home, turn it off and see if it will start again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

You're jumping the gun there a bit assuming its the alternator!

Give it another full charge and then see what the story is and go from there.

Since youre not driving the car regularly, it could be that the alarm is draining the battery.

Starting it and driving it a bit wont do much for for the battery, you need to drive it for at least a 30min constant journey to get the alternator to have any effect on recharging the battery.

When leaving the car stored i would always recommend that you loosen one of the battery terminals ... that way you dont need to disconnect the radio ... and every time you want to start just pop the bonnet and hook the terminal up and off you go .. then when locking the car back up, just simply unhook it and close the bonnet!

- that way you can be guaranteed the batterry isn't getting drained while the car is parked up and be better able to judge if your alternator is screwed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

thanks for the replies.

It has no alarm (better not tell you where i live!)

I wouldnt say the car is un-active , it goes from Athlone to Galway twice a week and does a bit of driving in between.

I dont think i have a spare 30 mins at the minute! might bring it for a spin later on tonight though.

Advertisement