Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to get rid of rust - Only noticed today

Options
  • 09-03-2008 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

My cars old. It's a 94 but in good shape. I noticed rust in the spare tyre area today and pushed abit with my hand and my hand nearly went through. At this rate it won't be long before a hole forms. The metal is no longer strong where the rust is.

Is there anything I can do with it?

Heres some pictures...
    img1213lw4.th.jpg

img1214lo7.th.jpg

img1217iq3.th.jpg

img1220or6.th.jpg

You can see in the last picture that the rust is coming through on the outside.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If the car's an ordinary commodity one (of no sentimental value etc) I'd head off to a bodyshop. Possibility of some fibreglassing. Worst case scenarion is some welding but this usually isn't expensive.

You probably have a problem with water accumulating in the boot so that is something else to take care of. You could clean off the corrosion to identify where it's better and worse.

Either way, in the right hands it's no biggy and might just be a few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

cantdecide wrote: »
    If the car's an ordinary commodity one (of no sentimental value etc) I'd head off to a bodyshop. Possibility of some fibreglassing. Worst case scenarion is some welding but this usually isn't expensive.

You probably have a problem with water accumulating in the boot so that is something else to take care of. You could clean off the corrosion to identify where it's better and worse.

Either way, in the right hands it's no biggy and might just be a few quid.

What would be involved in fibreglassing?

I might give that a go if it's relatively easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If you ever watch Wheeler Dealers they always use this chemical that converts rust into some sort of solid material whenever they have a car with surface rust. Not only does it get rid of rust, but it prevents it from re-appearing too. Its very cheap and you can do it yourself(there's a bit of work in it though), though you will need to get the area affected resprayed.

I assume OP you bought an E34 in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

E92 wrote: »
    If you ever watch Wheeler Dealers they always use this chemical that converts rust into some sort of solid material whenever they have a car with surface rust. Not only does it get rid of rust, but it prevents it from re-appearing too. Its very cheap and you can do it yourself(there's a bit of work in it though), though you will need to get the area affected resprayed.

I assume OP you bought an E34 in the end?

Nope I'm still on the lookout for an E34. This is the current car. I want to fix it up anyway. I may hold on to it.

Advertisement