Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boston Legal

• 09-03-2008 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

I have just gotten into Boston Legal since the start of the new series on Living TV, good programme.

One thing that really bugs me though is what's going on with the blonde guy with the glasses (looks a bit like Philip Seymore Hoffman)?

Why does he keep holding his hands on the front of his legs? Is this something carried over from an earlier series?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I seen a great episode of this a couple of years back, about some troubled but promising white 'street poet' who is killed. It was a good story, I was impressed, however it fails to be consistent enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Personally I love Boston Legal but why on earth does RTE show it at such a late slot? Its not generally very 'adult only content' but can be very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

keefg wrote: »
    I have just gotten into Boston Legal since the start of the new series on Living TV, good programme.

One thing that really bugs me though is what's going on with the blonde guy with the glasses (looks a bit like Philip Seymore Hoffman)?

Why does he keep holding his hands on the front of his legs? Is this something carried over from an earlier series?

God i love Boston legal. I think they call him "hands"? Some kind of nervous disorder (turrets syndrome?..not sure)

He was in the accounts dept, then he left to set up his own business, long story, ended up holding Shirley at knife point, Alan defended him, months later went back to work with the firm...(something like that).

one of the best charachters in it imo.

Oh yeah, have to add, Alan Shore yum! Durty durty little man :D.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

keefg wrote: »
    Ahh Jerry "Hands" Espenson. He has a highly-developed form of Asperg's syndrome and he has thus developed a number of nervous tics to compensate. These include clutching his hands to his legs (hence the nickname "hands") and purring. He's also wonderfully played by Christian Clemenson who deservedly won an Emmy for this role.

It's a fantastic show, filled with great character moments and excellent knowing humour. One of the few to acknowledge the "fourth wall" openly and get away with it (i.e. turning to the camera and going "Cue the music!" before the credits start). Oh and if anyone thought William Shatner can't act - this show should definitely prove otherwise.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Gerry has Aperger's Syndrome (as mentioned in the above post), it's the same disorder as the narrator has in the book The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time.

I love Boston Legal but it bugs me that they change the cast every season. The only constants being Alan and Denny. There have been quite a few characters that I liked removed. They do tend to have a lot of Star Trek people on there! The most recent being Scott Bakula, still sexy after all this time. The last episode I saw had pretty weak arguments winning cases which was also quite irksome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the writer should just turn a camera on himself and say the speech at the end and get it over with, this week sspeech on wasteful wars or civil liberties blaa blaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Boston Legal is amazing, and yes it's carried on from a previous series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

gernon wrote: »
    Personally I love Boston Legal but why on earth does RTE show it at such a late slot? Its not generally very 'adult only content' but can be very funny.

Law & Order CI is also is on pretty late on Sun Night/Mon Morning.

I surpose RTE likes to show its worst shows at earler times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Just started watching it on Living.
    Brilliant show!
    So many good characters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I would suggest getting your hands on the 1st/2nd/3rd series.

Am pretty sure you can rent them now from XtraVision.

Really is a cracking show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Watching this almost every thursday on Living.

Brilliant show!
    The lines between Shatner and Spader are pure gold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Gillie wrote: »
    Watching this almost every thursday on Living.

Brilliant show!
    The lines between Shatner and Spader are pure gold!

+1 ... you often find two main characters just don't click and that can take from the show IMO but in this show Spader and Shatner just do it naturally and it just adds to it...the script for them both seem to be well written

Advertisement