Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo trainers

Options
  • 09-03-2008 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I've haven't seen this discussed here before. Of course they are no substitute to getting outside on the bike but could a useful tool and cheaper than an expensive gym membership

Any one have one or have any recommendations?
    From a few google searches it seems you can buy DVD's of famous cycling routes and they are linked to you pedalling. What a genius idea! :)

http://www.tacx.com/indexv3.php?language=EN
    These seem to be main crowd coming up in searches. Interested to hear any other opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

From a few google searches it seems you can buy DVD's of famous cycling routes and they are linked to you pedalling. What a genius idea! :)

yeah these are the virtual reality trainer that are quite expensive,your best bet would be just to go for a tacx cycletrainer.

wuld recommend the sirius machine, have used it myself but generally wouldnt buy a trainer with dvds if you not use to cycling indoors, and anyway evenings are getting longer now, so theres no need to buy a turbo..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

I have a Tacx trainer. They do work ,but an hour on a turbo is brain numbing.
    They are cheaper then an excerise bike, and much better as you decide the bike and gearing to use.
    The best thing to use a turbo for is for interval training, use a heart monitor, cadence sensor and off you go.
    Most of the guys I train with use the turbo during the week.

But everyone one of them cannot wait for the longer evenings.

There's no substitute for the open road, a big hill and 3-4 guys taking lumps out of each other to be first to the top.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I tried my brother's one at the weekend. They give you a good workout and you sweat buckets because there is no natural wind, so get a big fan and plonk it right in front of you. It may have been particular to his trainer, but on the steep gradients, I found it very jerky and I couldn't maintain a smooth cadence. This is a different experience to going up a steep road. I wonder is it something to do with the bike still being flat. His rear wheel was also a bit flat, so maybe that didn't help. He has the one that hooks up to the PC so you have a changing view to look at. I only did a 4km time trial on it. I reckon I would get bored on it after a while. That said, it could be good for those nasty dark evenings.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I have a Tacx Flow which I'd happily recommend. It indicates your speed, cadence and power output. It's pretty good value for money. I got my from Wheelworx in Clondalkin.

To counter boredom you should follow the sessions available on the Tacx website - you shouldn't just sit there pedaling at the same rate for an hour.

That "jerky" sensation described by Raam is the rear wheel slipping on the roller - the roller may need to be tightened against the wheel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement