Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points - Eagle star

Options
  • 09-03-2008 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Question - got my first penalty points over the weekend - does anyone have an Eagle Star (lady star) policy - want to know if there's a loading for these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

you should always inform insurance companies of penalty points to make sure your covered

but loadings dont tend to happen till 4 or more AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

You'd want to have 5 or 6 before they start to take major notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

haven't joined them yet - I was switching my policy from Monday so technically they're not on my licence yet - was only done yesterday...........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

but you should tell them about it when they do get put on. They mightn't pay out if you were in an accident.

fair point - i think I'll ask them about it tomorrow - feel like a complete plonk I was lost and was way over the limit - garda was v cool about it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

cjmcork wrote: »
    garda was v cool about it though.

he still booked you though :rolleyes:

true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

2 points for speeding/using a mobile phone, is what you're allowed, anything else and it's a special case... they may take you on, they may not. But 2 points is the max for either speeding or using a mobile.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

but you should tell them about it when they do get put on. They mightn't pay out if you were in an accident.
    IIRC Eagle Star have no access to the points database.
    Anyhow, I don't believe that there is a clause in your policy contract/documentation that states that you must notify them if you get points.

got this from the government website for citizens......

"When do the points take effect from - the date I committed the offence?
    No. If you have committed a driving offence that incurs penalty points you will receive a written notification from the Department of Transport and the Marine informing you of the fact that the appropriate number of penalty points are being added to your driving licence. This notice will include details of your name, address, date time and location of the driving offence concerned and confirmation of the fact that you either paid the fixed charge for the offence or were convicted in the court of such offence. The notice will also contain a date on which the notice was issued to you. This is the important date as the points will only be added to your licence 28 days after this date.

When someone has been issued with a fixed charge notice by the Gardai for a driving offence that incurs penalty points and pays that charge or fine within 56 days the Gardai will notify the Department of Transport of that fact and the Department of Transport and the Marine will then issue to the person notification of the fact that the appropriate number of penalty points are to be added to their driving licence 28 days after the issue of such notification. Similarly, if someone fails to pay the fixed charge notice within 56 days the Gardai will serve a summons on you to appear in the District Court to answer the alleged driving offence.

If you are subsequently convicted of the driving offence in court, the District Court will notify the Department of Transport and the Marine of that conviction and of the number of penalty points attaching to that conviction. The Department of Transport and the Marine will then issue to you notification of the fact that the appropriate number of penalty points are to be added to your driving licence 28 days after the date of the issue of such notification.

All penalty points added to your driving licence whether by way of payment of the fixed charge notice or by way of conviction in the courts are recorded on the Garda Pulse computer system. This enables the Gardai to have access to all records regarding the number of penalty points on a person's driving licence at any given time. Penalty points are not physically recorded on your licence. They are kept on a database by both the Department of Transport and and by the Gardai. "

i was only done yesterday and my insurance is up for renewal in the next week - am moving from Hibernian to Eagle Star...........so I'm not lying when I say that I haven't got points, cos I won't have them for another 28 days........

it's the moral thing I have a bigger issue with

• Advertisement

i presume that once the points go on, if I'm asked the question I tell the truth - I'm cr@p at lying anyway........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Well you arent 100% sure you have the points yet, im pretty sure I've read that people were told they were getting points and then didnt recieve any. You say the Garda was very cool about it so you never know!

Advertisement