Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Season

• 09-03-2008 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Even though I am delighted Arsenal dropped points today, it got me thinking. Am I the only who thinks this season has been, well, a bit shit really? None of the big 4 are playing to their potential - not even close to it. The team most people reckon play the most attractive football - Arsenal - haven't even been that great when you compare them to a few years ago. United arent a patch on last season - if it wasn't for our defence we wouldn't be in the title race. Chelsea are suffering from major Jose-withdrawal syndrome (the league needs Jose back imo) and Liverpool, with all their off the field problems, have slipped int a 4th place battle with Everton. I mean, the title race is still wide open - potentnially 1 point between United and Arsenal, but its just not gripping in all honesty.

Realistically, I can really only comment on United as theyre the team I watch most. We've strengthened excellently in the summer, and I know - its a transition period for the new players to settle in - but we cant hold a candle to our performances last year.

The relegation battle is the only semi-interesting ingredient of the Premier League this season.

Is the Premier League going through a bit of a withdrawal at the moment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I think its more the fact that the echelon below the top 3 have gotten stronger. Villa, Everton, Man City, Portsmouth and Blackburn are all getting alot more points than might have been expected of them. The teams are still strong as the Champions League performances illustrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Archimedes wrote: »
    Even though I am delighted Arsenal dropped points today, it got me thinking. Am I the only who thinks this season has been, well, a bit shit really? None of the big 4 are playing to their potential - not even close to it. The team most people reckon play the most attractive football - Arsenal - haven't even been that great when you compare them to a few years ago. United arent a patch on last season - if it wasn't for our defence we wouldn't be in the title race. Chelsea are suffering from major Jose-withdrawal syndrome (the league needs Jose back imo) and Liverpool, with all their off the field problems, have slipped int a 4th place battle with Everton. I mean, the title race is still wide open - potentnially 1 point between United and Arsenal, but its just not gripping in all honesty.

Realistically, I can really only comment on United as theyre the team I watch most. We've strengthened excellently in the summer, and I know - its a transition period for the new players to settle in - but we cant hold a candle to our performances last year.

The relegation battle is the only semi-interesting ingredient of the Premier League this season.

Is the Premier League going through a bit of a withdrawal at the moment?

Well only if you are a fan of the top 4. Im sure Everton, M.City & Villa fans are loving it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

funnily enough I find I don't have as much interest in the premiership race as other years. i think you're right, there's a lot of under performing, and it's not just in the top 4... there's been so much off field crap going on this season though that i think it's impacted the performances perhaps. we're much more likely to be reading a headline tomorrow on a potential takeover of some club than about a performance. perhaps a year of transition as the premiership realigns itself as a commodity?

or else i've just been unlucky in what i've decided to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Tusky wrote: »
    Well only if you are a fan of the top 4. Im sure Everton, M.City & Villa fans are loving it!

True. I had planned to say that in my original post but left it out by accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Give me till May and I'll tell you if it was any good ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think we could be in for a humdinger of a climax though. With Arsenal creaking should we write off a 3 or even (whisper it) a 4 way race come the last week or two?

The top 4 all play at least 2 of the other top teams again (plus Everton, except Man Utd).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

The fact there will likely be 4 teams in the Champions League quarter finals show how strong the top 4 teams are.
    The fact so many teams are getting points off the top 4 is a sign of how much the division has improved as a whole IMO, this is due to the increased Tv Revenue.
    The transfer window in the summer will be fascinating :)

Unearthly wrote: »
    Give me till May and I'll tell you if it was any good ;)

Obviously if we win the league, itll be viewed as a good season (for United fans anyway) but just comparing it to last season - remember those games against Fulham, Blackburn, Everton.... even watching Chelsea score in the last minute against Watford (I think)...There's just no real excitement this year.

Mike is right though, I havent written off any hopes of an exciting finish, I just hope to God that there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Obviously if we win the league, itll be viewed as a good season (for United fans anyway) but just comparing it to last season - remember those games against Fulham, Blackburn, Everton.... even watching Chelsea score in the last minute against Watford (I think)...There's just no real excitement this year.

Mike is right though, I havent written off any hopes of an exciting finish, I just hope to God that there is one.

I thought the Birmingham match recently with Arsenal was exciting, there will be plenty of drama yet, don't worry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I do think there has been a dip in terms of the quality played every week, but I really think this has been one of the greatest seasons since I can remember.

A genuine 3-horse title race. The last time its been this close been 3 teams must be 1998/99 between the same 3 teams.

An interesting fight for a CL spot, 3 teams realistically fighting for just one. And personally seeing Liverpool as one of those teams is enjoyable

The greatest FA Cup in years. Not just whats happened this week, but the exploits of Havant & W were something else

Seeing 4 English teams dominate the CL again. With only Barcelona and Inter realistically the only teams outside of Britain with a hope of winning it, the odds of an all English final (never mind an English team in the final 4 years running) are looking good.

A huge tussle for relegation. 7 teams are seperated by 4 points with 1 relegation place at stake. Seeing Newcastle down there is brilliant too.

The rollercoaster rides enjoyed by Tottenham, from half of WHL learning of Jol's sack before the man himself to Ramos bringing them the Carling Cup.

The continuing miracles shown by Harry down in Portsmouth. He inherited a team doomed for relegation a few years ago, now they're close to Europe. Surely one of the most underrated managers out there

Ronaldo showing the world why he is (on-form) one of the best players in the world (PLEASE lets not start that one again!). The performances of Adebayor and Torres have been something else too.

Martin O'Neill and Sven finally showing their managerial potential.

The shining lights of Agbonlahor, Young, Johnson, Ireland, Anderson, Flamini, Lescott, Cahill, Fabregas and Tevez breaking through

Of course there were some bad points, notable Jose's departure and Stan's management but overall i'm enjoying every second of this season. But theres no substitue for excitement, and this season has delivered that in spades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think two things have happened this year.

A. The average teams have played very well. Everton, City, Villa, Spurs even, are all a lot better this year.

B. United and Chelsea haven't played to their potential. United aren't as good as they were last season, and especially with the added players, they should be playing better. Chelsea are just missing Mourinho to be honest.

I like it :) I'd really like somebody else to get 4th, as I think it'd be good for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Its been going downhill since the late ninties, Jose spiced it up again for a short period, but is gone kinda boring again now....

The champions league papered over this, but Liverpool have taken the gloss of it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i think the "big 4" havent played the best football, or near their potential in the majority of their matches but it could be an amazing end to the season, does anyone else think the season dragging a little happening the same season jose was sacked is a bit more than as coincidence!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Its been going downhill since the late ninties, Jose spiced it up again for a short period, but is gone kinda boring again now....

The champions league papered over this, but Liverpool have taken the gloss of it....

Chelsea fan?......

see i can do the cliffhanger dots to!

I also miss the rivalry between managers. I know its still there, but I like it to be public! The Wenger/Fergie rivalry, the Jose/Rafa wars...... since Fergie and Wenger patched things over and Jose left, its taken the bite out of some of the big games.

I also miss the rivalry between managers. I know its still there, but I like it to be public! The Wenger/Fergie rivalry, the Jose/Rafa wars...... since Fergie and Wenger patched things over and Jose left, its taken the bite out of some of the big games.

ye i agree there! its just missing something when the "big 4" play each other!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The climax of the season is almost upon us, and its going to be ****ing tense!

There is nothing really between the top 3 teams. If you had one team playing brilliantly week in week out then the league would be over in January like Chelsea's first league win 3 years ago.

True also that the more money being put into the league some of the other teams are getting better.
    Next season Spurs, Villa, Everton, Man City will all be eyeing the 4th spot with a good reason to get it.
    I think this season is great. The last 3 seasons by and large have been poor in terms of excitment.

And the CL draw will bring up an interesting tie or 2!! (god help the mods on this board ;))

You cant please eveybody i suppose.

Maybe you need to get out more!See some EL action aswell. Support your local team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

jank wrote: »
    The climax of the season is almost upon us, and its going to be ****ing tense!

There is nothing really between the top 3 teams. If you had one team playing brilliantly week in week out then the league would be over in January like Chelsea's first league win 3 years ago.

True also that the more money being put into the league some of the other teams are getting better.
    Next season Spurs, Villa, Everton, Man City will all be eyeing the 4th spot with a good reason to get it.
    I think this season is great. The last 3 seasons by and large have been poor in terms of excitment.

And the CL draw will bring up an interesting tie or 2!! (god help the mods on this board ;))

You cant please eveybody i suppose.

Maybe you need to get out more!See some EL action aswell. Support your local team.

Good post;)

I was going to say pretty much everything you covered including the last line.

I'd call myself a casual Shamrock Rovers fan - I go to all their games in Dublin, so it's actually a large percentage of their league games and I'd recommend Eircom League football to the masses. I took in the UCD 2 - Derry City 3 game on Friday, cracker of a game....anyway, hideously off-topic:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

The Premier League is close at least.

Champions Legaue has been a dead loss so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

(the league needs Jose back imo)

This is clearly why it's gotten more boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Sqaull20 wrote: »

This forum is going downhill with comments like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The Championship title race is better:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

SantryRed wrote: »

It always is tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

SantryRed wrote: »

Yeah and the Championship promotion race is unreal too. Ladies and gentlemen, shield your eyes from the prize and watch the division that has produced Barnsley, West Brom and Cardiff. Finally recognition is ours.

Next seasons lesson: How to achieve a mid-table finish in League One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Nunu wrote: »
    I'd call myself a casual Shamrock Rovers fan
    :eek:

Be careful what you call yourself tbh :eek::D

Bubs101 wrote: »
    This is clearly why it's gotten more boring.

jose is still entertaining, he came out recently and sed when he takes over a new club he is going to set his sights and chelsea and "kill them" haha brillaint!

Advertisement