Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water problems

Options
  • 09-03-2008 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Please help. I have both gas central heating and an immersion
    Can heat water with immersion but for some reason lately water not heating when I turn on the central heating. Pipes connected to Hot Tank
    are warm but Hot Tank is freezing. Anyone got a solution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Have you had any work done to the boiler recently?
    What type of timer (if any) do you have at the boiler?
    Does it have controls for the hot water aswell as the radiators?

It sounds like the Motorised valve that allows the hot water to reach the cylinder (as if it was a radiator) has closed. This should be controlled by some sort of programmable timer beside/on your boiler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Spinwood

There are four pipes coming from boiler. Two are warm and two are cold.
    The pipes connected to the hot tank are warm as well. I am hoping its just a valve but i am useless at this stuff and dont want to make matters worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

My Valve is blue and its in the hot press. It is controlled by the thirmostat Below 15 and it just heats the Hotwater.

Can you post some pics of the hot press

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

There should be four pipes connected to you hot water cylinder:

1. hot water from your boiler into the heating coil in the cylinder
    2. hot water from your boiler out of the heating coil in the cylinder
    3. cold water from mains or header tank into the cylinder (to replenish any hot water that is consumed).
    4. hot water from cylinder (i.e. to bath, shower etc).

In my cylinder 1 and 2 are in line with each other, one has an isolation valve and there is also a bypass between them
    3 is on the bottom and 4 on the top (hot water rises so you take the hot water from the top)

If 1 and 2 are cold then your boiler is knackered, or there could be a valve shut.
    If there is water in your cylinder then there should be a heat loss in the coils so there should be some temperature difference between 1 and 2.

If I was a betting man then I would say there is a valve closed in the system, either

a. on the feed from the boiler through the coil. Switch on the boiler from cold and look for 1. and 2. becoming hot. If they are not both getting hot then there is a blockage or valve shut (and it could be an actuated valve if you have a modern system) OR

b. there is a valve closed either on the cold feed to the cylinder or the hot water out. Easy to confirm, just turn on a hot tap and see if there is water flowing.

I'd say it was most likely a. above.

Where do I send the bill from my services ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

There is one other scenario: If your system does not have a cut off switch when the system is low in water, the hot water coil is often one of the first areas to be effected. Are all your upstairs rads heating right up to the top ?
    Is there a pressure gauge near the boiler ? Is it at 1 or higher ? Do you know where the fill valve in the hotpress is ?

The pipes from the boiler to the coil are on the side of the cylinder, one straight above the other. When the heat is on, you should not be able to touch the top one, and the bottom one will be a little bit cooler.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I'm guessing an airlock on the primary circuit. Do you have a bleed screw on the upper pipe coming from boiler to cylinder?

Advertisement