Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading to galway for easter. Any "should do" stuff?

Options
  • 09-03-2008 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Me and my boyfriend are thinking of going to Galway.Just want to know is there much to do in galway and if there;s any must do stuff.
    We're planning to stay in a hotel near Eyre square.Just wondering is it easy to get to the coast from town?and the cinema seems quite out of town too. Part from the taxi does the bus goes near it or something? thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

regards to cinema and buses, the 7 goes near the omniplex and the 9 stops outside the eye. when you say cosast do you mean salthill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

You can easily walk to the omniplex from eyre square.

less than 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

if I came to Galway for a weekend - the cinema would be the last thing I'd do!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DouglasWinthrow

thats fairly judgemental ,

maybe thyre coming fomr a place with no cinema

maybe the want to see a cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The nearest beach (Salthill) is about 20-30 mins walk from Eyre Square. If you want to get further out the coast then that take a bus to Carraroe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

You simply must buy a load of buckfast and drink it on the old railway track beside the Boat Club dahling. Get monged and start a fight outside Supermacs on Eyre Square, kick the mirrors off some cars on Dominic Street and spend a few hours in the lovely stone building on Mill St.

There are lots of things to do in Galway, don't bother with the museum. Rent bikes and explore or walk the coast from Spanish Arch out to Salthill.

If you really must go to the cinema, there is one five mins walk from your hotel.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

You simply must buy a load of buckfast and drink it on the old railway track beside the Boat Club dahling. Get monged and start a fight outside Supermacs on Eyre Square, kick the mirrors off some cars on Dominic Street and spend a few hours in the lovely stone building on Mill St.

I would highly reccomend this.

Try Killary if yer interested in outdoor adventure stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    regards to cinema and buses, the 7 goes near the omniplex and the 9 stops outside the eye. when you say cosast do you mean salthill?

is the bus stop easy to find on eyre square? well,i just think somewhere we could walk by the sea during the day? I heard the beach is stoney??

DonalN wrote: »
    if I came to Galway for a weekend - the cinema would be the last thing I'd do!!!

Just thinking of one of the activities we could do in Galway, i mean u can tour around at night time and we're not people that spends all night drinking. So watching a movie wouldnt harm
    cornbb wrote: »
    The nearest beach (Salthill) is about 20-30 mins walk from Eyre Square. If you want to get further out the coast then that take a bus to Carraroe.

what number is the bus and where about can i catch it? thanks

I think you'd take the Carraroe bus from the bus station (which is just off Eyre Sq). Carraroe is a good bit out of town, over an hour by bus I'd guess, but it'd be a nice change if you fancy getting into the wilderness for a while. Salthill is a lot closer if you just want any ole beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

The aquarium in Salthill is worth a visit. I quite enjoy it anyway. It's not paricularly exotic but it's interesting to see what lurks in our local waters. They have female conger eels that are about 6 foot.

• Advertisement

dafunk wrote: »
    The aquarium in Salthill is worth a visit. I quite enjoy it anyway. It's not paricularly exotic but it's interesting to see what lurks in our local waters. They have female conger eels that are about 6 foot.

oh dat sounds like fun! so if i get a bus to salthill,i should be able to find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

This is all well and good but there's a good chance you could end up in the new ultra-modern building out in Oranmore rather than the Bohemian surrounds of Millstreet which means yer fecked for going home. Plan carefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Just walk to the spanish arch,5 mins from eyre square and you can start walking by the coast from there all the way out to the golfing range is salthill which must be 3-4 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

number 9 stops across from O Connells in eyre square.

that will take you to the eye cinema

hey guys thanks for all the help. just two other things. what good restaurants to eat there and is Dunguaire Castle far? any buses go there or is der any other castle dats near and is it worth going to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

any "should do" stuff?
    pix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Re: food; If you like Japenese food go to Kapa ya. Great sushi, great Tyriaki. Go to shop st and ask for directions, it'll take 5 mins to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Weidii wrote: »
    Great sushi, great Tyriaki.
    Larry%20David%20Laurie%20David.jpg

chicken teriaki man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

To get to Salthill beach, take the number one bus from the bottom of Eyre Square, down beside AIB bank. If it's a good day I'd recommend walking there/back along the coast! If you come down to the end of shop street, continue on and keep left along the coast... less than half and hr casual walk - the aquarium is along that road too.
    well,i just think somewhere we could walk by the sea during the day? I heard the beach is stoney??
    Nope, it's sandy. Those rocks there are just coastal protection! There's a promenade stretching along the length of the beach and is a very popular walk. You can go up the diving boards at the end for a good view - esp in the evening!
    galway-report-2476-3.jpg
    2105598569_1997367be9_m.jpg

If you're looking for quick tasty food and you're in the middle of shop street - ask a local where's the charcoal grill and order a mix doner kebab and a garlic and cheese chips!! :rolleyes:

chat2joe wrote: »
    To get to Salthill beach, take the number one bus from the bottom of Eyre Square, down beside AIB bank. If it's a good day I'd recommend walking there/back along the coast! If you come down to the end of shop street, continue on and keep left along the coast... less than half and hr casual walk - the aquarium is along that road too.

Nope, it's sandy. Those rocks there are just coastal protection! There's a promenade stretching along the length of the beach and is a very popular walk. You can go up the diving boards at the end for a good view - esp in the evening!
    galway-report-2476-3.jpg
    2105598569_1997367be9_m.jpg

If you're looking for quick tasty food and you're in the middle of shop street - ask a local where's the charcoal grill and order a mix doner kebab and a garlic and cheese chips!! :rolleyes:

hey! thanks a million!!! they're fabulous tips!! thanks for all the bus routes and directions,its great! thanks! going tomorrow,hope the weather is good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I think you should do your boyfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 shburst

Weidii wrote: »
    Re: food; If you like Japenese food go to Kapa ya. Great sushi, great Tyriaki. Go to shop st and ask for directions, it'll take 5 mins to get there.

Hi, where is it exactly? I love sushi...

shburst wrote: »
    Hi, where is it exactly? I love sushi...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Galway,+Ireland&ie=UTF8&ll=53.27204,-9.052144&spn=0.002836,0.007296&z=17&iwloc=addr

It be roughly where the M in " . . . . . . .Middle St . . . . . . . . . . . . . Middle St . . . . . . ." be. Yearrrrr.

Actually, here's a much more straightforward link without the esoteric pirate-style directions.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=kappa+ya,+Galway,+Ireland&ie=UTF8&ll=53.279893,-9.064407&spn=0.022683,0.058365&z=14&iwloc=A

They only seem to open before 6pm for some odd reason, so I've never actually eaten there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    This is all well and good but there's a good chance you could end up in the new ultra-modern building out in Oranmore

I don't know. Much like that book about that chocolate smitten paedophile. "No one ever goes in... no one ever comes out."

I haven't so much as seen one officer in or around the general vicinity of the "O-Side Cop Shop"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

going tomorrow,hope the weather is good

Good weekend?!

Advertisement