Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting Agents, What exactly do they do?

Options
  • 09-03-2008 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I’m planning to lease my apartment out (for the first time) for a period 6 months.

I’ve put a lot of money into the apartment (eg glass tables, leather seats, oak kingsize beds with memory foam mattresses) and so I’m a bit worried about finding the tenant from hell.

Someone has suggested I use a letting agent to minimise the chance of a bad tenant.

From a search of this site, the feedback is that they are a waste of time.

Does anyone know what exactly are the functions of a letting agent that makes them (in theory) worthwhile using.

Is it possible for oneself to do all their functions and so by-pass them? (I’ll be living 70 miles away so calling to the apartment won’t be a problem). Has anyone an experience where they said “Thank God I used a letting agent”.

Any help with the above will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance for all responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

They become your secretary. I assume you've seen the thread a few threads down on this topic.

What they do is field calls about your property. The washing machine broke. The TV isn't working. I assume the LA will organize the plumber etc. You don't have the annoyance of taking calls from the tenants.

Of course all this depends on the tenants. If they're sound people and there are no problems with the place then you shouldn't hear from them. If you get a genuinely bad tenant....well I'm not sure how much a letting agent will help. I suppose you wouldn't have the hassle of kicking them out (assuming they will leave). Just be advised what you're getting for your money (IMO not a whole lot).
    Someone has suggested I use a letting agent to minimise the chance of a bad tenant.

There's no secrets to this. Of course you can do it. You get their references, have a chat with them and try to suss them out. This is all an agent will do. I'm pretty sure they ask the landlord for their final approval anyway.
    Is it possible for oneself to do all their functions and so by-pass them?

Of course. But would calling a plumber, locksmith or electrician annoy you? Coming out to see any problems etc? Writing a letter or making a call to the tenants telling them to stop being noisy, smelly and obnoxious?

Advertisement