Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Go for Nights out in Cork?

Options
  • 09-03-2008 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hello,

Several friends and myself are heading down to Cork over the course of the next two weeks and are looking for some pubs/clubs we could try. We are all into more or less indie/alternative music which would be preferable for pubs but for clubbing dance music is ok maybe some form of house/techno/electronic as long as it isn't the real hard 'dun dun dun dun' dance music - or if there's any clubs that play indie/alternative that would also be great. Preferably the place should be free from the hordes of clone-esque knackers/scobes/whatever you call them in Cork.

Cheers! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

heres what i do,instead of coming to Cork get a train to Dublin or a flight to London and have unreal nights out there! Cork is crap for going out in.

if you must though, go to Brog or crane lane for a few drinks then head to the ping pong club.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

'Freakscene' is a club that is on Wednesday nights on Oliver Plunkett Street. Upstairs they play rock/alternative music and downstairs is the....ahem...homosexual club although don't be afraid to venture down there even if you are a guy.Id say over half of the people down there are actually straight.It's just that some people don't like the alternative music, so they go downstairs for the chart music.Pretty easy to score there aswell!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Havanas is the only half decent club.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

What age are you.
    Im 29 and have similar tates in music, unless im away i wouldnt go to clubs with dance, well not for last few yrs anyhow.
    Pubs - Tom Barrys, oval, sin e, slate, brog. loads with good music.
    Clubs
    Tuesday night- The Cube is a good laugh, latino night
    Wednesday - Freakscene, where gorbys is
    Thursday - Prob end up in Havana Browns or late bar
    Friday - Bodega Nights (corn market street and best club in town) or Everyman Palace on Maccurtain Street.
    Saturday night Bodega Nights
    Sunday Norm go to a late night bar (rec slainte on a sunday) if out or havanna browns

If its a weekend then id pub crawl Mccurtain street area and go to everyman on fri night. small club but a laugh
    then on sat start of on barrack street at tom barrys and go to raven via gateway and oval and then for bodega nights. itll fill by a little after 12, big club good music good laugh.

for dance music fast eddies was ok a few yrs back not sure about now though.

I prob prefer Cork to london or dub for going out but then id not be a fan of charty places like havana browns especially during weekend. If going to fly go berlin instead, class spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

Thanks everyone for all of the informative replies. Sorry for not including our ages - I can't believe I forgot! Unfortunately, we are all 18, so I think this could restrict our choices somewhat...

Balmed Out (or any other helpful person): if you would be so kind to tell what kind of age restrictions/dress codes/music is played in the clubs you mentioned I would be very appreciative! I tried searching them on google but I couldn't find all of the information I needed.

Thanks again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

Boink08 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for all of the informative replies. Sorry for not including our ages - I can't believe I forgot! Unfortunately, we are all 18, so I think this could restrict our choices somewhat...

Balmed Out (or any other helpful person): if you would be so kind to tell what kind of age restrictions/dress codes/music is played in the clubs you mentioned I would be very appreciative! I tried searching them on google but I couldn't find all of the information I needed.

Thanks again! :)

gorbys and freakscene ,are come as you are door policy though if your going to gorbys at the weekend its meant to be over 23 s at the weekend but i haven seen that being enforced. if i was heading to gorbys on a fri or sat maybe get a bit dressed up.

the brog is wear what you want no bother there. its a late bar get there before 12 if you want to get a seat, secure personal space becausedas reg pubs close it will be over run.

the raven is over 23s and you get abuse form the bouncer if your not.

head to suas(uspstairs in captain americas) for a cocktail or to the corn store for one bit expensive but nice way to start the evening.

havanas is over 21's or 23's at the weekend as far as i know haven been ther much.

the old oak is a good spot for a few drinks its a late bar too

whatever you do dont go tto cubins meat market and its full of un- desirables to say the least.

just dont wear white runners and you will get in most places. bring your passport not a garda id they are picky in the city

enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Cubins isnt that bad, always a good laugh. Could try Bondi but I heard its full of prampushers! ;) If ye are a bit older looking try Long Island first for a few savage talent.

Ye have to go to the Castle Inn as well, its stuck in a timewarp, jacks are out doors, which some women use as the smoking area, not giving a sh!te that lads are going against a wall a few feet away!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

DO NOT go to Bondi Beach!!! Unless you want to be in a club full of scumbag guys which make up 90% of the club.
    Im only thankful towards Bondi for one thing: It takes all the scumbags away from the city centre clubs:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

is bondi that bed ya?cant say iv been there myself but was wondering heard good and bad about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

havanas is over 21's on the weekend and can ye might have a shot if ye are heading in there in a mixed group, but a group of eighteen year old lads will be turned away, likewise with cubins but thats a dive anyway, savoy used to be fairly good , i havent been there in over a year but thats because i felt it was filled with 18 year olds so ya might enjoy it. Pub wise preachers is also good to suit the music taste there is no real dress code anywhere once runners are avoided and possibl hoodies, enjoy your night! oh if ye are making a weekend of it i'd definately recommend taking the barrack street challenge. Start in cissy youngs on the bandon road and follow the hill down into the city centre doing the twelve or so pubs on the way, mighty crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

blow69 wrote: »
    DO NOT go to Bondi Beach!!!

Is that the one down near the GPO that was called surfers before? First and only experience of that place is a girl about 19/20 being punched in the face, falling off her stool and being out cold on the ground. Some classy burberry wearing gentleman was then pounced on by several bouncers before being physically removed. Nice place...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Gorby's is f*cking dire. Sh*t music and a sardine tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Kold wrote: »
    Gorby's is f*cking dire. Sh*t music and a sardine tin.

Very true. But it is a good hang out place. If you go regularily you know everyone so its great to meet up but ****e to score because everyone knows everyone.

Advertisement