Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

marines fitness/training

• 09-03-2008 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am just wondering does anyone know of any books or websites that give details on the training involved in for example the US marines, I mean a week by week guide of what happens, what distances are ran in what time, what amount of push ups ,crunches, pull ups etc are completed. Im looking for this so I can copy their fitness training. Basically I want to attempt to copy to the best of my abilities what they do as I know there is great standards met. I want to do this for the discipline aspect also with regards to sticking to it. Coming to the end I would like to attempt my own version of the crucible for instance(or even just a long hike with little sleep and lots of excercise). i would like to attempt long distance 'conditioning' marches etc with certain weight on my back.
    Im doing this for myself and for my own confidence, fitness, and mental strenght.
    I obviously wont be able to copy exactly what they are doing, and its only the fitness aspect I want to attempt but if anyone can think of any good websites or books it would be great. Its not just the US marines Im looking at, that was just an example.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

amazon is your friend mate!just search 'marines workout' or 'marines fitness'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pathfinder

wylo wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am just wondering does anyone know of any books or websites that give details on the training involved in for example the US marines, I mean a week by week guide of what happens, what distances are ran in what time, what amount of push ups ,crunches, pull ups etc are completed. Im looking for this so I can copy their fitness training. Basically I want to attempt to copy to the best of my abilities what they do as I know there is great standards met. I want to do this for the discipline aspect also with regards to sticking to it. Coming to the end I would like to attempt my own version of the crucible for instance(or even just a long hike with little sleep and lots of excercise). i would like to attempt long distance 'conditioning' marches etc with certain weight on my back.
    Im doing this for myself and for my own confidence, fitness, and mental strenght.
    I obviously wont be able to copy exactly what they are doing, and its only the fitness aspect I want to attempt but if anyone can think of any good websites or books it would be great. Its not just the US marines Im looking at, that was just an example.

There are much better training programmes out there. Attempt the Royal Marine Commando one instead,which is about 10x more challenging, if you register with their website, they will send you the RMs potential recruit training schedule, which going on info you supply to them on your fitness level is personalised, it includes info on increasing mental durability as well.

http://www.royalmarines.mod.uk/training-and-fitness/training-tool.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I n o this aint exactly what your looking for put check it out anyway

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

I agree with Pathfinder on this. The Royal Marines would have a much heavier training regime then that of the US Marine Corp. I think the Corp are more hyped up due to films and tv etc, where as the RMC are just hard****ingcore. The Marines get 'conditioned' in some pretty lame ass ways. When my mate was having his graduation parade in the USMC they were having dinner with their families. Half way through the dinner the Marines were removed from the dining hall and drilled to run around a pole drinking water to vomit back up the meal they had half eaten. This was to "always expect the unexpected"....yeah.....pretty gay and pointless if you ask me. Look for RMC fitness training and your laughin mate.

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    I agree with Pathfinder on this. The Royal Marines would have a much heavier training regime then that of the US Marine Corp. I think the Corp are more hyped up due to films and tv etc, where as the RMC are just hard****ingcore. The Marines get 'conditioned' in some pretty lame ass ways. When my mate was having his graduation parade in the USMC they were having dinner with their families. Half way through the dinner the Marines were removed from the dining hall and drilled to run around a pole drinking water to vomit back up the meal they had half eaten. This was to "always expect the unexpected"....yeah.....pretty gay and pointless if you ask me. Look for RMC fitness training and your laughin mate.

mate i was told the rm training was getting easier to keep up numbers

• Advertisement

and the USMC isn't?? The sheer numbers of american troops out there would tell you that the training isn't even remotely as hard ass as it used to be. And there's no way to make that 30 miler or the tarzan course any easier, but maybe they don't put your face in the dirt so much. There is a war going on after all

twinytwo wrote: »
    mate i was told the rm training was getting easier to keep up numbers

Wheres your evidence for your claim ?

The Royal Marine commando tests to win the green beret remain the same.

The mud run is still there also, the only difference is it needs on officers permission before it can be implimented as a punishment.

What has changed is the fact recruits now have their own rooms etc.

Exercises like running man and hunters moon, Logans run still remain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyO6rkyGSTA&feature=relate

30 miler(run/march over Dartmoor 32lbs +weapon), assault course, endurance course, gym tests, load carrying yomps (a full load in the RMs is up to 101lbs of kit) and BFT, 9 mile speed march with kit and weapon in uner 90 mins remain the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I worked with a ret'd USMC Colonel (up from the ranks) for a while, great bloke, you had to overlook the constant acronyms of course...

Managed to drag him to a Gym one night, he confessed that he hated gym training and had never bothered with it.

Got involved in a carjacking incident with him, he lost a tooth - me too (strange) but we kept the car... he wasn't lacking.

My overall impression was that the average Marine was trained to a similar level to an Irish 3 star, but had many more toys to play with. As Nobby Clark once said, if their battery goes flat, they're f*cked.

Aside from the hype, the average Marine has a short contract and an eye on a Civvy future... go figure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

and the USMC isn't?? The sheer numbers of american troops out there would tell you that the training isn't even remotely as hard ass as it used to be.

I'd wager the Corps, of all the services, would take objection to that statement. They've never had a problem filling their ranks even in the middle of the Iraq campaign, their whole recruiting campaign is geared towards people who want to be hard-assed. It's not like the Army where there's much more emphasis on advertising skills for life or personal development. If you're an American and feel the need to be a hard-core steely-eyed killer with a rifle obviously the first place you're going to look is Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, unless you don't get on well with water. The US is not so short on hard-core volunteers that the Corps is suffering. Even during Vietnam, Marine draftees were highly unusual (About a thousand in the entire war).
    Managed to drag him to a Gym one night, he confessed that he hated gym training and had never bothered with it.

I feel the same way.

However, back to the original point:
    mean a week by week guide of what happens, what distances are ran in what time, what amount of push ups ,crunches, pull ups etc are completed. Im looking for this so I can copy their fitness training.

I'm not sure such a thing really exists. Bear in mind that PT occurs not just at designated PT times of 05:30 to 06:30 or whatever, but that a recruit is exercised in some manner throughout the day, even if it's just being dropped to knock out 50 pushups for some infraction or running the bayonet course. I would wager that this would be the case for basically any branch of service from any country. You're as well off just coming up with an end goal, and then asking someone how to get to that level with the time and resources you have available.

NTM

I'd wager the Corps, of all the services, would take objection to that statement. They've never had a problem filling their ranks even in the middle of the Iraq campaign, their whole recruiting campaign is geared towards people who want to be hard-assed. It's not like the Army where there's much more emphasis on advertising skills for life or personal development. If you're an American and feel the need to be a hard-core steely-eyed killer with a rifle obviously the first place you're going to look is Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, unless you don't get on well with water. The US is not so short on hard-core volunteers that the Corps is suffering. Even during Vietnam, Marine draftees were highly unusual (About a thousand in the entire war).

I feel the same way.

However, back to the original point:

I'm not sure such a thing really exists. Bear in mind that PT occurs not just at designated PT times of 05:30 to 06:30 or whatever, but that a recruit is exercised in some manner throughout the day, even if it's just being dropped to knock out 50 pushups for some infraction or running the bayonet course. I would wager that this would be the case for basically any branch of service from any country. You're as well off just coming up with an end goal, and then asking someone how to get to that level with the time and resources you have available.

NTM

Got to agree with MM on his one, firstly the rank of Major upwards is in the main deskbound.

USMC recruits also do the cruicible.

USMC sniper platoons and anti-armour platoons, as well as other specialities are all first class.

They have the resorces to train marines in specialities very well, as well as in ongoing very realistic livefire exercises

But US forces are dependent on the fact they have massive firepower and air support, could the modern US infantry/marines march with a full marching order and take on an enemy, under artillery fire with limited air support and no armour ?

Thats something its doubtful we will ever find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

cheers for the replies, im going to go for the royal marine training schedule for now(thanks for the link, really great site), when i reach the point of fitness to apply I will probably have a look at a few books and see what kind of goal I want to achieve. Its not JUST fitness I want, I want to improve my mental discipline, but I suppose your right it would be impossible to copy what soldiers do during training.

why not join up for a bit?

Pathfinder wrote: »
    Wheres your evidence for your claim ?

The Royal Marine commando tests to win the green beret remain the same.

The mud run is still there also, the only difference is it needs on officers permission before it can be implimented as a punishment.

What has changed is the fact recruits now have their own rooms etc.

Exercises like running man and hunters moon, Logans run still remain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyO6rkyGSTA&feature=relate

30 miler(run/march over Dartmoor 32lbs +weapon), assault course, endurance course, gym tests, load carrying yomps (a full load in the RMs is up to 101lbs of kit) and BFT, 9 mile speed march with kit and weapon in uner 90 mins remain the same.

hello Quis i see ur back to ur usual stuff...
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5715244975531644066&q=royal+marines+documentary&total=26&start=10&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=8
    watch all 5 parts.. i mean they say it themselves.. and considering they are royal marines i would say they no what they are talking about

hello Quis i see ur back to ur usual stuff...
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5715244975531644066&q=royal+marines+documentary&total=26&start=10&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=8
    watch all 5 parts.. i mean they say it themselves.. and considering they are royal marines i would say they no what they are talking about

So Royal Marines are putting down their own commando tests :rolleyes:

What the instructors state is there is less shouting and less beastings then years ago and the approach nowdays is different.

The commando course and tests remain the same. FACT. And which is what they stated.

I challenge you to state exactly what tests and exercises have got easier(your claim).

I will put this alongside all your other false claims.

Which test has got easier then ?

This intense phase ends with a series of tests which have remained virtually unchanged since World War II. Again, these tests are done with a "fighting order" of 32 lb (14.5kg) of equipment.

The commando tests are taken on consecutive days; they include;

A nine-mile (14.5 km) speed march, carrying full fighting order, to be completed in 90 minutes; the pace is thus 10 minutes per mile (6 min/km or 6 mph).

The Endurance course is a six mile, (9.65 km), course across rough terrain at Woodbury Common near Lympstone, which includes tunnels, pipes, wading pools, and an underwater culvert. The course ends with a four-mile (6 km) run back to CTCRM. Followed by a marksmanship test, where the recruit must hit 6 out of 10 shots at a target representing a fig. 11 target at 200 m. To be completed in 73 minutes (71 minutes for Royal Marine officers), these times were recently increased by one minute as the route of the course was altered. The Course ends at the 25m range where the recruit must then put at least 6 out of 10 shots on target without cleaning their weapon.

The Tarzan Assault Course. This is an assault course combined with an aerial confidence test. It starts with a death slide and ends with a rope climb up a thirty foot vertical wall. It must be completed with full fighting order in 13 minutes, 12 minutes for Royal Marine officers. The Potential Officers Course also includes confidence tests from the Tarzan Assault Course, although not with equipment.

The Thirty miler. This is a 30 mile (48 km) march across Dartmoor, wearing fighting order, and additional safety equipment. It must be completed in 8 hours for recruits and 7 hours for Royal Marine officers, who must also navigate the route themselves, rather than following a DS with the rest of a syndicate and carry their own equipment.
    The day after the 30 mile (48 km) march, any who failed any of the tests may attempt to retake them.

cheers for the replies, im going to go for the royal marine training schedule for now(thanks for the link, really great site), when i reach the point of fitness to apply I will probably have a look at a few books and see what kind of goal I want to achieve. Its not JUST fitness I want, I want to improve my mental discipline, but I suppose your right it would be impossible to copy what soldiers do during training.

If you seriously did get into Yomping/Tabbing (ie speed marching with a full bergan), every year the British army holds an open competition, over Pen Y fan in the Brecon becaons in Wales, its 60km carrying 55lbs, its basically the SAS long drag selection route.

Those who take part include serving and ex SAS troopers, Royal Marines, Paras and other BA regiments,as well as endurance athletes who are members of the public, the course record was 16hrs 20 mins, but in 93 Paddy Doyle done it in 14hrs 50 mins, which is the record.

To actually complete the course is a major achievement.

Here is the Parachute regiments pre recruit fitness programme which will get you tabbing up to 10/15 miles + with 45lbs kit. (their target is 20 miles on severe hills/mountains, with 45 lbs in 4.5hrs).

Once you get to that level, do a 6 mile run 3x per week, 2 x 45 mins circuit training per week, (2 min press ups rest 1 min, two minute star/Para jumps rest 1 min, 2 min sit ups rest 1 min, 4 x heaves etc, etc).

Replace one 6 mile run with a ten mile tab every 2 weeks and you will be seriously fit.

Find a level you can maintain. Rather then overstreching yourself and giving up.

2 miles in under 18 mins with 45 lbs is a good test

Week 1

M Rest
    T 30 min run, medium pace
    W 20 min run, 15 mins upper body exercises
    T 4 mile run (with sprints), 8 min/mile
    F 30 min cycle, 15 mins upper body exercises
    S 4 mile run, 8 min.mile
    S Swim, 15 mins upper body exercises

Week 2

M Rest
    T 45 min run, medium pace
    W 20 min run, 15 mins upper body exercises
    T 30 min cycle, 15 mins upper body exercises
    F 4 mile run (1 mile jog, 1 mile fast, 1 mile jog, 1 mile fast)
    S 5 mile medium pace run
    S 4 mile Tab

Week 3

M Rest
    T 45 min run, fast pace
    W 3 mile run (7 min mile), 15 mins upper body exercises
    T 4 mile run, (7 min mile)
    F 20-30 mins circuit training
    S 5 mile run (7 min mile)
    S Swim

Week 4

M Rest
    T 1hr run, fast pace
    W 3 mile run, 15 mins upper body exercises
    T 4 mile run (with sprints)
    F 40 min cycle, 20 mins upper body exercises
    S BPFA
    S 5 mile tab

Week 5

M Rest
    T 1hr run, increse speed, include hill sprints
    W 3 mile run, 20 mins upper body exercises
    T 5 mile run (7 min mile)
    F 30 mins circuit training
    S 5 mile run (7 min mile with hills)
    S Swim or cycle

Week 6

M Rest
    T 2 miler, 35 lb began, in under 18:45
    W 3 mile run, 20 mins upper body exercises
    F 40 min cycle, 30 mins upper body exercises
    S 6 mile run in boots
    S 6 mile tab

Week 7

M Rest
    T 2 miler, 45 lb began, in under 18:45 (helmet and boots)
    W 3 mile run, 25 mins upper body exercises
    T 5 mile run (7 min mile with hills)
    S 6 mile run with hill sprints
    S Swim/cycle

Week 8

M Rest
    W 3 mile run, 25 mins upper body exercises
    S 5 mile run with hill sprints
    S 7 mile tab

Week 9

M Rest
    W 4 mile run, 25 mins upper body exercises
    T 6 mile run (with sprints)
    F 40 mins circuit training
    S 7 mile hill run
    S Swim/cycle

Week 10

M Rest
    S 5 mile run
    S 8 mile tab

Week 11

M Rest
    F 35 min circuit training
    S 8 mile run
    S Swim/cycle

Week 12

M Rest
    W 4 mile fast run, 30 mins upper body exercises
    S 4 mile fast run, 30 mins upper body exercises
    S 8 mile tab

Week 13

M Rest
    S 9 mile run on hills
    S Swim/cycle

Week 14

M Rest
    S BPFA + extra 3 mile run
    S 9 mile tab

Week 15

M Rest
    T 2 miler, 45 lb began, in under 18:00 (helmet and boots)
    S 10 mile run (8 min mile)
    S Swim/cycle

Week 16

M Rest
    T 2 miler, 45 lb began, in under 18:00 (helmet and boots)
    W W 4 mile fast run, 30 mins upper body exercises
    F Rest
    S 2 miler, 45 lb bergan, in under 18:00 (helmet and boots)

pathfinder all u are is a troll..... thank god they banned ur other account.. feel free to point out my false claims

pathfinder all u are is a troll..... thank god they banned ur other account.. feel free to point out my false claims

You continually post false claims, then you claim I am a troll :rolleyes:.

Its up to you to substanciate your claims that Royal Marine Commando selection tests have got easier.

He's no troll mate. He's got more fact to backup his claims then the 9/11 Commission!

That's probably not a great comparison when you consider the 9/11 Commissions final report! But still!

He's no troll mate. He's got more fact to backup his claims then the 9/11 Commission!

That's probably not a great comparison when you consider the 9/11 Commissions final report! But still!

well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

why not join up for a bit?
    Im just too old for the irish army, Im not sure of age limits regarding english army, but on a whole I enjoy working in an independant environment, my own boss. Also I dont fully understand the reasons for the likes of the afghan and iraq wars and i dont think im prepared to fight for a cause i dont fully agree with or understand at least, despite getting to see 'action'.

Cheers pathfinder, that schedule is great help,i might incorporate both this one and the one on the royal marine site to establish one that suits myself. Having attempted something a small bit similar before and gave up I know my biggest problem was that I was disorganised and pushed myself too hard without any proper routine, expecting too much too fast and what not.
    That open competition in Wales seems like a great target as well, do you know what month thats on, perhaps I could prepare myself for next years one.

• Advertisement

Im just too old for the irish army, Im not sure of age limits regarding english army, but on a whole I enjoy working in an independant environment, my own boss. Also I dont fully understand the reasons for the likes of the afghan and iraq wars and i dont think im prepared to fight for a cause i dont fully agree with or understand at least, despite getting to see 'action'.

Cheers pathfinder, that schedule is great help,i might incorporate both this one and the one on the royal marine site to establish one that suits myself. Having attempted something a small bit similar before and gave up I know my biggest problem was that I was disorganised and pushed myself too hard without any proper routine, expecting too much too fast and what not.
    That open competition in Wales seems like a great target as well, do you know what month thats on, perhaps I could prepare myself for next years one.

August, I believe.

Try the allied ex special forces association or Parachute regiment association.

You might have to provide ID, before they give out info due to security concerns.

Came across this :

[FONT=verdana,arial,geneva,sans-serif]
    (Next Long Drag: 15th &16th March 2008.)
    SILHOETTES-ON-THE-FAN-DANCE.gifLong Drag is the name assigned to the finale of the endurance or hill phase of SAS selection. If you thought that the 'Fan Dance' was tough then take a look at this.
    [/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,geneva,sans-serif]
    It is guaranteed to test you to your limit.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,geneva,sans-serif]Traversing across the Brecon Beacons over 40 miles you are expected to complete this trial of torture in 20 hours or better! We just want you to see if you can complete it in any time at all. In fact it would be good to simply finish it in a weekend. [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,geneva,sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,geneva,sans-serif]We will not be setting strict timings for this but if you want to test your fitness to the standard of the SAS then you must complete the walk in under 20 hours carrying a 55lb bergan, 35lb belt kit and a piece of scaffolding pipe to simulate a rifle.[/FONT]
    Be aware that if you want to complete the course individually then you must be at a high level of fitness and be able to navigate with a map and compass to an advanced level.
    [FONT=verdana,arial,geneva,sans-serif]Alternatively, if the prospect of doing this seems daunting then we will be able to have a former member of the SAS to personally guide you along the route.[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,geneva,sans-serif]
    We also need people to bring along suitable walking kit, maps compasses etc. We can give you a suggested kit list and training regime for people who want to build up their fitness and their map reading skills.

[/FONT]www.sassurvival.co.uk/sas_survival_recreational_courses.php -

5 DAYS OF HELL IN THE BRECON BEACONS MINI SELECTION
    NEXT COURSE: APRIL 19th - 23rd 2008

The following course will teach you the core skills of the SAS. We will take you through Endurance, Continuation Training, Survival, Escape and Evasion and finally Resistance to Interrogation with ex-serving members of the SAS. All equipment to be supplied by us…apart from your boots, sleeping bags and a sense of humour.

DAY ONE:
    • Orientation briefing and kit issue.
    • Talk on ‘Psychology of Survival’
    • Combat Fitness Test
    • Map Reading
    • Safety on the Hills
    • Hill First Aid
    • Night Navigation Exercise

DAY TWO:
    • Move to Storey Arms Location
    • Fan Dance (Navigation and Hill Fitness Test) start grid ref: 983204 rv1:012216 rv2: 032206 then reverse this route back to the start!
    Must be done in 4hrs 15mins to pass. Aim to do it in 4hrs.If you are still capable after this the exercise continues to a ‘Mini Long Drag’ (approx 40km in total). This is to be done with the following weight in a bergan. Normal humans: 35lb. Super-humans and/or Geordies: 55lb
    DAY THREE:
    • Return to Camp
    • Weapons handling
    • Fieldcraft
    • Contact Drills
    • Effective Ambushing
    • Dealing with Prisoners/Hostages
    • Night Exercise

DAY FOUR:
    • Principles of Survival
    • Escape and Evasion Techniques
    • Tracking and Anti- Tracking
    • In the evening E&E Kit and Orders will be issued
    DAY FIVE:

At a time convenient to us but definitely inconvenient to you; you will be woken, blindfolded and dropped off at a location where you will be issued a basic map of the area including boundaries. You will then be let free (without a blindfold) and a small hunter force will start tracking you over this area. The area is wooded with some open areas. You will try to meet all three agents until you are captured. Interrogation then commences. Depending upon the time you are captured you could suffer up to 12 – 15 hours interrogation.
    Be warned this is not for the weak minded! You must also be exceptionally fit and be able to navigate with a map and compass to a high level.

The total cost for this will be £500 per person. (click here)

We are limiting this course to a maximum of 8 people, so book early to ensure your place. A deposit of £100 must be paid within two weeks of booking and the balance to be paid four weeks prior to course commencement.

Advertisement