Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Main Dealer Service - Have I Been Had?

Options
  • 09-03-2008 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi folks,

I took my '05 Nissan Pathfinder into a Nissan Garage for a service last Weds. There was a knocking coming up through the steering wheel and really squeaky suspension with a poor ride. Its been like this since I bought it in Sept 07 but was just DOE'd the week before.

I had known of a famous recall for the Pathfinders which has got to do with some steering bolt not being tight enough and causing a load of crashes, see here

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/dyna/rapex/create_rapex.cfm?rx_id=70

I asked about the recall at the garage as my chassis number is one of the ones involved here and even rang Nissan Ireland, they both told me that there is no recall necessary for my vehicle.

I was due to collect the jeep on Weds after lunchtime, but on my way to the garage, I got a call from the servicing lad to say that the lower steering knuckle was busted and needed to be replaced. He said that the manager wouldn't let me take back the jeep until it was repaired under warranty.

I was now to collect the jeep on Friday morning.

So I arrived at the garage Friday morning to collect the car and was given a bill for over €300.00 inc Vat. €175 of this was or labour. The rest on parts like €65 for oil €45 for oil filter etc. I thought he was taking the piss. I asked to see the checklist for the service as I had gotten from previous Volkswagen garages. I was told that Nissan don't have a checklist system but were thinking of introducing one soon.

After a half hour wait on the Friday morning, the jeep was driven round by a young mechanic from the back, I got in and drove away. I noticed that the jeep was considerably dirtier than it was when I left it in (actually it was covered in sh1te) also the drivers side mats were covered in oil from the mechanics boots. They also didn't put any plastic on the leather seats which had a load of dust on them.

I left the garage a bit pissed off but glad the work was done and at least safe in the knowledge that using a Nissan garage it should have been done properly. Now thinking about it, im not happy at all.

1. the labour charge is a farce.
    2. the squeak in the suspension isn't fixed and the steering is incredibly heavy
    3. im pretty sure that there should have been some work done for the recall or at least some sort of explanation
    4. there's no checklist. (driver's seatbelt return spring is well dodgy)
    5. jeep filthy
    6. may as well throw out the mats
    7. the €35 a day rental car wasn't taxed was filthy, no petrol and had an ash tray full of fag butts.
    8. I was charged for screenwash and wipers, both of which I had specifically asked to be left out.

If anyone has any advice how to go about getting some sort of remedy for the above, would appreciate.

Thanks,
    Horse

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Contact the service manager within the dealership first of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

45 for oil filter is steep. Go in and complain about the rental car not being taxed. That is crazy. They cannot charge you top money for a service like that. Tell them you couldnt use it because of the tax. Also demand refund on some of cost of wipers as you told them not to fit them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Just out of curiosity where abouts is this garage without naming names... Is it one of the more well known names in the Nissan game or is it a garage outside Dublin? I have a funny feeling its a garage in Dublin 22.

I wouldn't have taken my vehicle back like that. Take some photo's of the inside, bring it back and get them to sort it. You've paid for it now so tell them you are not fully satisfied with service. Be nice about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

bbability wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity where abouts is this garage without naming names... Is it one of the more well known names in the Nissan game or is it a garage outside Dublin? I have a funny feeling its a garage in Dublin 22.

I wouldn't have taken my vehicle back like that. Take some photo's of the inside, bring it back and get them to sort it. You've paid for it now so tell them you are not fully satisfied with service. Be nice about it.

I agree with the last 2 posters. Document everything and write to the service manager at the dealership. Also politely point out that if your complaint is not taken seriously, you will have to go to NISSAN ireland with a forma complaint and the Guards in ref to the hire car with not tax which is Illegal.

You've been had mate.

This is another shining example why i never go to main dealers for routine servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

was given a bill for over €300.00 inc Vat. €175 of this was or labour.

I know it is a complete rip off but €300.00 seems like a fairly standard price for a main dealer service to me. My VW golf 1.4 2005 cost more in a VW main dealer to service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

horse888 wrote: »

1. the labour charge is a farce.
    2. the squeak in the suspension isn't fixed and the steering is incredibly heavy
    3. im pretty sure that there should have been some work done for the recall or at least some sort of explanation
    4. there's no checklist. (driver's seatbelt return spring is well dodgy)
    5. jeep filthy
    6. may as well throw out the mats
    7. the €35 a day rental car wasn't taxed was filthy, no petrol and had an ash tray full of fag butts.
    8. I was charged for screenwash and wipers, both of which I had specifically asked to be left out.

If anyone has any advice how to go about getting some sort of remedy for the above, would appreciate.

Thanks,
    Horse

I would have said that labour charge wasn't too bad, I'm guessing it was 2 hours labour? €87 an hour isn't the worst you could get charged from a main dealer.
    I'd be looking at the €45 for an oil filter charge!

The state of the inside of the car is inexcusable, I would definately say something to them about that. And also charging you for replacing the wipers when you specifically said no is a joke. Let us know how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Just a quick add

Tell them you also want a full itemised bill.

Wow though that's some bill im glad i do my own wok.
    Last oil filter i got was 9euro did they charge you oil and filter together?

Advertisement