Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamweaver question

Options
  • 09-03-2008 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a small bit of knowledge about Dreamweaver and I am putting together a basic static site. The problem I'm encountering is this, when I design it on my high resolution laptop and upload it, it looks fine on my machine but any other computer with lower resolution shows the site all mumbled up. Is there anything in Dreamweaver than I can use that will make the site compatible for any resolution or do I have to make do?

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Jon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Hi jon,

Your detail is hazy to say the least, Is your website designed using tables? What browser(s) are you viewing the website in? what exactly is mumbled up? Answering these questions might clear things up a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Hi nevf,
    Sorry about the detail, i'm only really a layperson when it comes to these things!
    The site is designed in Dreamweaver using desgin mode and not code. The page is broken down into 3 frames top, left and main. On the top I have 3 images and
    nav buttons below. The images are in place with image place holders. For example if I look at the site on a PC with different resolution the images are thrown all over the place and in some cases not viewable.
    Do I make sense?
    Here is the page, at the moment it looks fine on my laptop- http://www.iutf-dublin.com/all.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

You can observe the same effect by reducing the size of your browser window.
    What you need to do is set a fixed width for the div containing the nav items (within the top frame)... so the items don't wrap on to the next line (and eventually out of the frame) if the div shrinks (with the window) to a point where it's too narrow to contain them all horizontally.
    You may or may not have to go into code view to rectify this, but if you do, have a look for the part:
    <body bgcolor="#0000FF" text="#FFFFFF" link="#FFFFFF">
    <div align="left"> 
      <p align="justify"> &nbsp;&nbsp

and change the <div align="left"> to <div align="left" style="width: 925px">
    Or replace 925 with whatever width fits best.

Or figure out how to do it without frames.

Thanks Donkey, much obliged - think i sussed it with that info. I'll play around with it.

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Personally, I don't think frames are a good idea.

If you read that, and are convinced:
    I think you should download CSS based layouts from the internet and work on from there, it saves so much time and hassle. Have a look at SSI Developer. Download the zip file of whatever file you choose, unzip it into your website directory. You should now have three files(with similar, but weird names). You will have a .html file, which is a normal website file, and then you will have two CSS files, these files control the layout and presentation of your page. Keep messing around with the files.

If you break anything, just delete the three files, and unzip the zip file back into the website folder and start again. It will take some getting used to, as in about a week's learning to get to grips with the basics, but you won't regret it. Also, I dont suggest you use flash for the menu, I think you should download a menu from DynamicDrive, copy it into your website, and edit the links.

I know this is offtopic to what you asked, but I feel that you're going to have more problems down the road if you use frames.

I'm available by PM anyway, dont be afraid to send me a PM if you want anything.
    ~Nev

• Advertisement

Thanks very much nevf, much appreciated.

Advertisement