Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you 'like' to believe?

Options
  • 09-03-2008 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Can't remember this thread being done before, though I'm sure the question has come up before. Anyway...

I often hear atheist friends of mine saying that they would 'like' to believe in religion*, but simply don't. What about you?

*For argument's sake, define 'religion' as the existence of a benevolent creator God and a happy afterlife to which you and everyone else has access. No need for a 'the biblical god is evil!!' tangent

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

Lovely idea.. I'd love a huge big pair of swan wings but....

What I'd really like is for the believers not to believe... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Buttes, Le Mao

Belief in anything is dangerous. everything should be constantly revalued and nothing should be taken as an absolute.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think I'd like to believe.
    I may even decide to when my time is running out. ;)

I'll have the blue pill please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Xhristy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

True, but surely if someone was able to think/recognise the flaws int heir faith, then they wouldn't believe? Either way, i'd agree that people shouldn't be so closed-minded.

I wouldn't like to believe either. Can't see sense in wanting to believe in something that can't be shown/proven/felt/seen without a reason.

And i don't think playing the 'life of values and moral code, etc' card changes anything, you should be able to behave like a good person without being told you have too.

But in cases where people would behave immorally without a belief/God telling them what to do, i think it is better that they have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Would you 'like' to believe?

No. Since 'believing' in a benevolent creator god and a happy afterlife necessarily requires alot of self-delusion and either ignorance of the facts or a blatant refusal to accept anything that contradicts one's own comfortable (and comforting) worldview. And just making sh1t up mostly. Couldn't base my beliefs on a load of made-up nonsense tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Buttes, Le Mao

Atheist brigade is so annoying it would almost drive a person to religion.
    Parroting that crap is as bad as religious people preaching their crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'd like if it* was true.

Subtle but immensely important difference.

*It being defined as nothing more than some sort of continued existence filled with niceness.

What crap? Define "parroting" in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Zillah wrote: »

*It being defined as nothing more than some sort of continued existence filled with niceness.

Ditto.

secondarily,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

sure, it would be a lot easier wouldnt it
    to have rules and morality defined for you so you never have to deal with very difficult decisions on a moral level or view the world as anything but black and white, and to know that if you did what you were told everything would be ok and there's someone up in the sky smiling down on you
    how nice and simple it would be =p

but, that's not how things work and so that's that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

Dictator in the heavens? Eternal existence?

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

depends on what you mean........like believe in what?

would i like to give up my critical faculties and have blind faith?

Then NO

Am i open to the fact that proof might come around at some stage in the future, that is pretty irrefutable and doesn't rely on a centuries old book of fables written by men/crooks?

YES

Would I like this to happen? Would I like it if god descended from on high on a chariot of fire, to bring us all to the land of milk, honey, happiness etc etc?

More difficult to answer, it sure sounds good alright, so what the hell, I'll say yes. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

i do already, and heres hoping i'm right lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

aliqueenb wrote: »
    i do already, and heres hoping i'm right lol!
    What'll happen if you're not right? **just curious**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Zillah wrote:

I obviously recognise the difference, but I would question whether or not it is as 'immense' as you claim.

Let's say this continued niceness is true. Presumably, you would be pleased for two reasons. First, that you could one day take advantage of such niceness. Second, that you would be able to look forward to this niceness while here in this less nice (though I would say still quite nice) existence.

A genuine believer, however ridiculous his beliefs, will still be able to take advantage of the latter through his belief. Given my own atheism, I can't be sure, but I'd imagine the comfort* and simplicity one gains from religious belief can could be quite pleasureable. Of course, there's something to be said for being free from delusion (and it is always nice to look down on silly believers ;)), but is that worth the loss of comfort etc. I'm not sure.

*This comfort is dependent on the nature of your religion, of course. Pre-20th century christianity - with its fasting, abstinence and whatnot - doesn't strike me as that comfortable, but 21st century christianity - mass every other sunday, the odd pray - can't be that bad.

bluewolf wrote: »
    sure, it would be a lot easier wouldnt it
    to have rules and morality defined for you so you never have to deal with very difficult decisions on a moral level or view the world as anything but black and white, and to know that if you did what you were told everything would be ok and there's someone up in the sky smiling down on you
    how nice and simple it would be =p

but, that's not how things work and so that's that

You seem to have run off and started your own discussion on subjective versus objective morality, rather than a discussion on a mostly undefined hypothetical afterlife.

Zillah wrote: »
    You seem to have run off and started your own discussion on subjective versus objective morality, rather than a discussion on a mostly undefined hypothetical afterlife.

hehe
    tbh, what came to mind was the attitudes of the believers in the christian forum
    basically, the idea that believing would make things a lot simpler
    since tbh their hypothetical afterlife would have a lot of implications as i was going on about
    the two aren't unrelated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

YogiBear wrote: »
    What'll happen if you're not right? **just curious**

NOTHING....

I obviously recognise the difference, but I would question whether or not it is as 'immense' as you claim.

Well, put it this way, there's two questions:

- Would you, being an atheist who believes that religion maintains falsehoods, willfully change yourself (assuming such were possible) into a believer?
    - Would you, being an atheist who believes that religion maintains falsehoods, like to be proven wrong?

The former, no. Maybe if I encountered an amazingly cool religion that really really appealed to me and I was getting very old, perhaps yes.
    The latter, in regard to certain things, yes, certainly.

I'd say those questions are very importantly different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

What do you expect in a religious discussion in the Atheist Forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I'd like it if it were true that there was an eternal afterlife where we all go to after we die and live on forever in some happy place like Elysium.

As for the question of wanting to "believe" in it I don't think I could say yes, I would love to know it was true and if it is as good as I imagine it could be then my belief or disbelief will be in no way relevant to my making it there, and if belief is a pre-requesite to this afterlife then I wouldn't want it to be true. I hate the idea of exclusivity, be that in this life or the next.

In a nutshell I would only want to believe in an afterlife which I didn't need to believe in to get to, and so I can cut out the redundancy of belief and lie in on a Sunday :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

has there ever been a study into whether a society (or community of believers) lives more happily and economically due to the fact that they believe (in a specific religion) compared to a similar society of atheists.

Like group A and group B kind of testing.

Is it even possible to do an accurate study?

I personally would like to see results in relation to psychological,technological and all those other "ical" factors. See which society works better etc

(i apologise for poor syntax and stuff but i hope you get what i mean)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

bogwalrus wrote: »
    has there ever been a study into whether a society (or community of believers) lives more happily and economically due to the fact that they believe (in a specific religion) compared to a similar society of atheists.

I personally would like to see results in relation to psychological,technological and all those other "ical" factors. See which society works better etc

Probably requires its own thread and I don't think there's even been a community of non-believers although perhaps most of Northern Europe is in practice atheist.

I'm sure everybody would like the idea that there is something more than what our senses allow us to perceive - that there's a deeper level to existence that we're not aware of an a day-to-day basis.

But again, in this thread some people are looking at "belief" exclusively in terms of their Judeao-Christian upbringing and I think that's unhelpful for them. They seem to have pigeon-holed all matters spiritual in that particular category and to me that's tragic.

It's like the Buddhists say "if you meet Buddha on the road kill him!" (Not that I'm pushing Buddhism coz I'm not, can't be doing with all that breathing and sitting around).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I think I remember hearing of a study which showed that communities of believers tended to have lower incidences of mental illness, I assume that the study decided that there was nothing strange about people who regularly talk to their invisible friend in the sky.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

But again, in this thread some people are looking at "belief" exclusively in terms of their Judeao-Christian upbringing and I think that's unhelpful for them. They seem to have pigeon-holed all matters spiritual in that particular category and to me that's tragic.
    Well the OP did specify the type of belief they were suggesting. And it does seem to be the obvious one given the context of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

*For argument's sake, define 'religion' as the existence of a benevolent creator God and a happy afterlife to which you and everyone else has access. No need for a 'the biblical god is evil!!' tangent

Well if i was going to believe in something I would believe in something a bit better than that.

The very concept of an "after life" kinda demonstrates that none of this is real, since it is basically saying that everything wonderful will happen in a place that is, handily enough, unknown and untestable and unreachable.

If people went to heaven in their 30s you would just look around at everyone over 30 and see if they were in heaven. But you couldn't because that would instantly demonstrate that heaven didn't exist.

Anyway, going on a bit of a ramble here. Basically I would find it impossible to believe in what you describe, and if I was going to "take the red pill" and make myself believe in something it would be something a bit better than what modern religion offers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Yes, there was an interesting article published in the Journal of Religion and Society here:

http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2005/2005-11.html

which correlated religiosity (defined as the percentage of a population asserting a belief in a god) and levels of teenage pregnancy and abortion and STD's, overall life expectancy, infant mortality and murder.

In all of these areas of misery (for want of a better word), countries with high levels of religiosity tended to have higher levels of misery than countries with low levels of religiosity. The only indicator that failed to correlate religiosity with misery was suicide, where there seemed to be no clear correlation one way or the other.

There are other studies which have produced similar findings, but I don't have time to find them just now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

I'm suspicious of any notion of national identify, I find flags intimidating and dangerous, and I’m distrustful of anyone in a position of authority who cannot be easily removed from power, so religion to me seems like living in the ultimate totalitarian state – with no means of escape.

Also, the idea that all human - and whatever I could call personal – triumph can be accredited to a Stalin-esque figure in the sky makes life seem worthless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

robindch wrote: »
    Yes, there was an interesting article published in the Journal of Religion and Society here:

http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2005/2005-11.html

which correlated religiosity (defined as the percentage of a population asserting a belief in a god) and levels of teenage pregnancy and abortion and STD's, overall life expectancy, infant mortality and murder.

In all of these areas of misery (for want of a better word), countries with high levels of religiosity tended to have higher levels of misery than countries with low levels of religiosity. The only indicator that failed to correlate religiosity with misery was suicide, where there seemed to be no clear correlation one way or the other.

There are other studies which have produced similar findings, but I don't have time to find them just now.

Ireland, Saudi Arabia, Mexico and Switzerland countries with high levels of religiosity all appear in top 10 in a 2005 report.

Belarus(president or Prime Minister is Athesit), Russia, Ukraine and Macedonia...countries with high levels of Atheism are in among the least happiest.

Seriously I don't see the connection either way.

Advertisement