Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you 'like' to believe?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Seriously I don't see the connection either way.
    hmm... try reading it more closely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

Belarus(president or Prime Minister is Athesit), Russia, Ukraine and Macedonia...countries with high levels of Atheism are in among the least happiest.

they are all former communist states, the lack of religion is due to the countries being atheistic states for decades. Estonia and the Czech Rep. are also two of the least religious countries in the world due to being former communist states, but they have also been two of the better off countries since the fall of the USSR and remain irreligious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

robindch wrote: »
    n all of these areas of misery (for want of a better word), countries with high levels of religiosity tended to have higher levels of misery than countries with low levels of religiosity.

That was all I was responding to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Belarus(president or Prime Minister is Athesit), Russia, Ukraine and Macedonia...countries with high levels of Atheism are in among the least happiest.

The report Robin linked to was discussing prosperous democracies, ie countries that should be happy but that aren't. I don't think the countries you mention would be considered prosperous democracies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I tend to find that people with no religion are far more relaxed, pleasant and happier than those who have strong religious beliefs. Those with strong religious beliefs seem to be constantly stressed about "doing the right thing" as it's been defined by their religion and less concerned about getting on with enjoying life.
    Just personal experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

YogiBear wrote: »
    What'll happen if you're not right? **just curious**
    nothing...like the other guy, estebancambias(lol at the name!)
    thats what is kind of depressing, if there is nothing we will never know, wrecks my head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'd love to be a fundamentalist.

Imagine always believing your right, no matter what, that you can do no wrong as you have already been saved and that no matter what you do in life, you will end up in heaven.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

If I thought eternity with 72 beautiful virgins (although surely 72 experienced ladies would be better:)) would be my reward I'd be out blowing things up left, right and centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

Imagine always believing your right, no matter what, that you can do no wrong as you have already been saved and that no matter what you do in life, you will end up in heaven.

:(
    Yeah, but then superior people like me get to laugh at you, so it's not all rosy.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I'd like to believe, sometimes. When I look at my family & my kids & think of a heaven I could see them again in, I wish there was something more - or I had the comfort of believing there was more. But as someone pointed out to me here, wishing something were so & believing it to be are two completely different things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Well, there are substances out there that can give you a sense of what that's like. Temporarily, of course, and existing laws (natural or man-made) are always in effect, regardless of what state you're in. Avoid preaching in pubs, and if you're going to try and fly, start on the ground, OK? :eek:

If I was always right, always certain of my beliefs, I'd become incredibly lazy. Having to think my way through this world keeps me on my toes. It's no coincidence that Ned Flanders and his family always appear to be on drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I'm an agnostic theist so I believe that its impossible to figure out if a god is real or not, but I believe in one anyways because I'd like her to be real. fnord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

That is a good mantra to have.

adamd164 wrote: »
    Yeah, but then superior people like me get to laugh at you, so it's not all rosy.;)

But here's the thing.....I would not care!

I'd be filled with pride and happiness at the thought of you in hell.

"A local boy kicked me in the butt last week,
    I just smiled at him and I turned the other cheek
    I really don't care in fact I wish him well,
    cos I'll be laughing my head off when he's burning in hell"

eoin5 wrote: »
    I'm an agnostic theist so I believe that its impossible to figure out if a god is real or not, but I believe in one anyways because I'd like her to be real. fnord

I'm the same.

Can't be proven, but I believe he's real.

I don't try to force my beliefs on others, and don't like when they try to do the same.

Although free speech means I have no problem with people who feel like debating this when I'm in a good mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

I still can't see why anyone would actually want a celestial dictatorship to be in operation -- your every thought and move closesly scrutinised and analysed to determine your ultimate worthiness. Sounds bloody horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

I don't think that I want to believe. I'm quite content without a belief system. It would be nice however, to have scientific proof of an afterlife. It would be nice to know when someone close dies, that it's just a temporary separation. It would also be nice to know that those that suffer most in this world don't suffer for nothing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah it but be nice, too bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

I'd like to believe, sometimes. When I look at my family & my kids & think of a heaven I could see them again in, I wish there was something more - or I had the comfort of believing there was more. But as someone pointed out to me here, wishing something were so & believing it to be are two completely different things.

My thinking would be along similar lines, but mainly from the point that I would not like any chance of myself, or my children more so coming back (reincarnation type of thing). A lot of the world is a fairly s****y place - wars, famine, injustice, abuse, persecution etc and based on population sizes the odds are you probably wouldn't end up in one of the nicer spots.

So long live the afterlife - something like Lanzarote in September would be nice:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

gramlab wrote: »
    So long live the afterlife - something like Lanzarote in September would be nice:)
    I was there in September - nice - though I wouldn't fancy an eternity there. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Wish I believed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I honestly wish I believed, Im actually jealous of thiests.
    It must be great to have something to turn to (or blame) when the perverbeal '**** hits the fan' in life and you need something to turn to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CelticChimp

I am extremely grateful that I do not believe. It is such a vacuos, pointless, intellectually crippled waste of thought that I shudder at the idea of being a believer. The big three (Judasim, Christianity, Islam) are the worst for pure self hatred. Every single natural urge is a sin. I have much better things to do that wander about mentally flaggelating myself for every thought because some guy in a costume with an outdated storybook tells me that a guy I never met was murdered to satisfy his own farthers need for revenge (over some guy eating an apple) for I and everyone else is being blamed. Ah, thanks? A truly horrible existence. I also believe that eternal life is about the most horrible fate imaginable. If you REALLY think about it, it is the prison from which there is no escape, none, ever. Whilst I wouldn't mind living for a few hundred or maybe even a few thousand years, eternity is a nightmarish concept. I give myself gladly to the worms :)

I hope when I die, I am remembered fondly by the living and honored for my life and my works. I would hope that those who loved me would not grieve too long. I hope also that my existence for just a tiny flash in humanitys history did more harm than good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I hope also that my existence for just a tiny flash in humanitys history did more harm than good.
    No doubt a Freudian slip there. ;)

Welcome, btw.

Slip you say, not at all. Don't you know all us Atheists are A-moral!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Whilst I wouldn't mind living for a few hundred or maybe even a few thousand years, eternity is a nightmarish concept. I give myself gladly to the worms :)

Ah, but you see, this eternal existence is also filled with infinite happiness! Christians, for example, don't believe we float in a cloudy nothingness forever (that would indeed be incredible torture), they imagine we rejoin an omnipotent God who imbues us with endless joy and satisfaction. You cannot ever be unhappy when presented with infinite happiness, even over infinite time.

Never forget, absolutes like omnipotence ruin all hope of useful discussion, theists can just make up whatever they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Fundamentalists don't seem to be all that happy, too concerned with everybody else's lives and how it doesn't fit into their idea of a moral life.
    As to the original question, would I like to believe? I do believe, not in god or an after life, but in living as well as I can. I don't need a mystical crutch to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Can't remember this thread being done before, though I'm sure the question has come up before. Anyway...

I often hear atheist friends of mine saying that they would 'like' to believe in religion*, but simply don't. What about you?

*For argument's sake, define 'religion' as the existence of a benevolent creator God and a happy afterlife to which you and everyone else has access. No need for a 'the biblical god is evil!!' tangent
    Yes the idea of a happy ending and someone with repugnant morals getting an *ss whoopin has its apeals. As does seeing my dog again.

However, seeing something shocking: famine, genetic diseases, tsunami's, the fact that most animals starve to death or are eaten alive invokes rage with any so called "creator" who is supposed to loving. Sometimes I feel faithy people turn a blind eye or stick their head in the sand. The free will argument is paper thin and is easily rebutted.

When examined logically, rationally, the G man appears as nothing more than far fetched fantasy and crutch for people who cannot cope with reality, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Dades wrote: »
    I was there in September - nice - though I wouldn't fancy an eternity there. ;)

You didn't go to the American Indian bar? absolutely great craic.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    Never forget, absolutes like omnipotence ruin all hope of useful discussion, theists can just make up whatever they like.

I always found the omnipotence and omniscience of God to be the achilles heel of the Religious argument. They take away any excuse for God when confronted with the problem of evil and omniscience nessesarily removes any possibility of free will.

Advertisement