Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Adjusting Mirror for Reversing round The Corner

Options
  • 09-03-2008 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi all,

Another question I would love some advice on.

Maxing up my lessons for my practical test in June. Practised my reversing around the corner for the first time today. Went well. Have a slight query about it. The driving instructor adjusted the passenger wing mirror completely down so I could see the rear wheels beside the kerb perfectly, which makes the whole thing a lot easier. He said that I can do this in the test too.

But how?

Do I lean across the tester and adjust it? (The car I am doing it in has manual mirrors, not automatic) or can I ask the instructor to do it??

Thanks for any tips!!

Grace

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Hi all,

Another question I would love some advice on.

Maxing up my lessons for my practical test in June. Practised my reversing around the corner for the first time today. Went well. Have a slight query about it. The driving instructor adjusted the passenger wing mirror completely down so I could see the rear wheels beside the kerb perfectly, which makes the whole thing a lot easier. He said that I can do this in the test too.

But how?

Do I lean across the tester and adjust it? (The car I am doing it in has manual mirrors, not automatic) or can I ask the instructor to do it??

Thanks for any tips!!

Grace

I think there's a few other threads mentioning this around here.

I would say it's dodgy adjusting your mirror significantly mid-test and I wouldn't rely on being allowed to do it. I adjusted mine slightly down before the test so I could still use it for normal driving. The best thing to do is probably to practise with the mirror as you would normally have it for driving. June is a long time away so you will have plenty of time to get used to doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

You're allowed to adjust it however you want for the reversing around a corner (reason being that if you ever had occasion to have to reverse around a corner in 'real' life you'd adjust the mirror so you could see where you're going!). If you don't have mirrors that you can adjust from the drivers seat, you just excuse yourself and lean over to do it. You can't ask them to do it for you.

Also remember to put it back in the proper position before you move off again! I didn't and the tester didn't notice, but I drove back to the test centre only able to see the pavement on the passenger side :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The idea is that you are supposed to be driving as if the instructor isn't there so lean over and adjust it - it's what you would do in "real life". You might want to say "excuse me!" though!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's perfectly acceptable to adjust the nearside mirror for the reverse. I'd say 'excuse me please while I adjust my mirror'. Just remember to put in back again on completion before moving off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I adjusted mine for my test yesterday though mine were eletric. But it was pissing rain and before i set off I cleaned the rain off the drivers mirror with my hand, I think asked the intrector to clean off the passenger mirror for me and he had no problem doing it.

I passed too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement