Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear DG834N wifi router

Options
  • 09-03-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has the above router and how do they find it to use, any problems etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Sid71

I have one for a while now working with no problems
    bought it in Peats for 99 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

I have one, and it works well with my Lenova work laptop (using a Netgear WN511B wireless notebook adaptor), speedwise but as for range it's no better than any other wireless router (of course I probably havn't set it up right).
    Can't get my new personal Sony laptop to pair with it at high speed or increased range either, and it's N rated

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

I was looking at this as an option myself. I'm curious though, truth be told, sometimes I leave BitTorrent running and if I don't limit my connections and bandwidth, I make the wireless unusable. How does this hold up in terms of its NAT table? In fact, if I were looking at any router, how would I be able to tell if it's capable of a lot of simultaneous connections?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

exiztone wrote: »
    I was looking at this as an option myself. I'm curious though, truth be told, sometimes I leave BitTorrent running and if I don't limit my connections and bandwidth, I make the wireless unusable. How does this hold up in terms of its NAT table? In fact, if I were looking at any router, how would I be able to tell if it's capable of a lot of simultaneous connections?

I am def no expert on BT but from reading casually on wireless stuff it seems that generally torrents and wireless do no mix well.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Generally speaking, I run BitTorrent on a PC connected via ethernet. If I forget to limit the amount of connections and bandwidth, I still manage to make it very difficult for users on the network accessing via wireless, sometimes I crash the router :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Thanks guys for the feedback - I have one with the Wireless Network Adaptor mentioned above and so far (touch wood!) no problems.

I spoke too soon - I unplugged it last night and moved it down stairs to the main socket (to try and improve the line stats). It didn't work so I brought it back upstairs. The bloody thing won't connect to the internet! So I re-set it, re-installed it and it says that it cannot pick up the ASDL according to the "Instalation program" - The light is on etc. I'll try it again tonight when I get home but I was wondering if you guys can think of any thing? By the way I plugged in my old Netopia router and it worked fine. The problem seems to be getting an IP address / connecting to BT as it picks up the download/upload stats.

I'm on the Swords exchange and maybe it was to do with the work they are doing at the moment upgrading the exchange but I doubt it since the Netopia Router worked - anyone else have connection / IP issues last night in Swords?

Thanks guys for the feedback - I have one with the Wireless Network Adaptor mentioned above and so far (touch wood!) no problems.

Hi Camper, can you tell me if (when you had the router working), you noticed an increased range with this setup over previous arrangements. The main reason I got this equipment, was to overcome black-spots in my house and I am a little bit disappointed.
    Of course if I was even the least bit techie, I'd know how to adjust the settings to correct this :(

Hi Camper, can you tell me if (when you had the router working), you noticed an increased range with this setup over previous arrangements. The main reason I got this equipment, was to overcome black-spots in my house and I am a little bit disappointed.
    Of course if I was even the least bit techie, I'd know how to adjust the settings to correct this :(

Got it working - had to change the multiplexing in the router settings to LLC they were at VC. I have the wifi network adaptor card that is recommended by Net gear also. The range seems to be quite good - now in saying that I don't live in a mansion but all that I notice dropping is the wifi speed i.e. from 270mpbs to say 116 or so. Are there any obstructions in the way of the router that may be causing it?

• Advertisement

Got it working - had to change the multiplexing in the router settings to LLC they were at VC. I have the wifi network adaptor card that is recommended by Net gear also. The range seems to be quite good - now in saying that I don't live in a mansion but all that I notice dropping is the wifi speed i.e. from 270mpbs to say 116 or so. Are there any obstructions in the way of the router that may be causing it?

No. but I have underfloor heating throughout the house (pipes sit on a bed of insulated aluminium sheeting), and the router is in the attic (do not want to move it anywhere else). I haven't observed even 1% improvement in coverage over my older Netgear router, so I will investigate the multiplexing when I get home this evening, thanks

No. but I have underfloor heating throughout the house (pipes sit on a bed of insulated aluminium sheeting), and the router is in the attic (do not want to move it anywhere else). I haven't observed even 1% improvement in coverage over my older Netgear router, so I will investigate the multiplexing when I get home this evening, thanks

Don't mess with the multiplexing as it may prevent you from connecting to the internet! I only had to change it as I re-set my router.

Advertisement