Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Live broadcasting of Su hustings-Tuesday

• 09-03-2008 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hello all,
    The Advocate will be broadcasting live from the Students' Union Hustings this Tuesday. Tuesday's hustings covers the three sabbatical positions, President, Vp/ Communications, Development and Welfare.

A live video feed will be broadcast via our website www.maynoothadvocate.com from 7.30pm.
    We will also enable a chat room for discussion. The Advocate will also post the opening statements of all candidates on youtube following the debate.

In the unlikely event of a failure in the plans to broadcast, we will be uploading the audio of the event sometime after its conclusion, as well as the originally intended youtube segments.

There is also a possibility that we will be broadcasting tomorrow (Monday) nights executive hustings as a trial run. Once again, this can be found at www.maynoothadvocate.com from 7.30 (pending confirmation).

Streaming of the debate is dependent upon the quality of the wireless internet connection in John Hume Lecture Theatre 2.

We think that this may be the first broadcast of its kind in Ireland, so we encourage everyone to view and participate. We would appreciate it if people could spread this message around a bit, especially to other Universities. If the broadcast is successful, we will gladly advise other student media and Students' Unions on the streaming method.

All the best,
    John Geraghty,
    Editor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Good luck with it John. Hope it works out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

Cheers funky.
    Fingers are well and truly crosses.
    I forgot to mention. There is a new issue ofthe advocate out online on Tuesday as well. It's a new multimedia look. We have two advocate tv spots featuring Enda Kenny and the launch of the Galway Cycle charity event. We will also have the usual text articles, including coverage of the Union races, tird party politics in the US and a few other bits and bobs.

Heres hoping...
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

hey John, your ole mate here!

Quick question on the streaming of the debate, is this to include Wednesdays debate on constitution referendum, cause talking to some involved, and some have heard nothing and may not be hugely willing to participate in that case.

Just a heads up my old matey!

folan wrote: »
    hey John, your ole mate here!

Quick question on the streaming of the debate, is this to include Wednesdays debate on constitution referendum, cause talking to some involved, and some have heard nothing and may not be hugely willing to participate in that case.

Just a heads up my old matey!

Hey Folan,
    Remind me again who you are.
    I was planning on just covering the Sabbatical debates on Tuesday night. That has proved time consuming enough as it is. The paper is coming out tomorrow and I will be spending a huge amount of time on it tonight. I don't think I'll get to do the constitution debate, unless I rope a friend into doing it.

The constitution debate probably needs more coverage than the hustings, as most people know diddly about it. I was reasonably well versed on it last year and I'm assuming that it is much the same (the revised version that is), as I haven't had time to sit down and read it. Had I gone to union council it would have been considerably clearer.

Did a test run in John Hume LT 2 today. I eventually got connected to NUIM wireless, but it was incredibly slow. I did everything the computer centre told me to, I even turned off firewalls. I hope it is better on Tuesday or I will have to borrow someone elses laptop to see if it is any better.
    Is the connection always like this in JHLT2?

All the best,
    Will post an update tomorrow.
    BTW, if anyone wants to friend us on bebo, we give regular updates on the elections and our issues. http://www.bebo.com/MaynoothAdvocate

We will also be blogging live from the count on Thursday night.

Hey john, ill give you a quick clue, i used to be your team mate, (Andrew in case your still not 100%)

From what im hearing, noone involved in Wednesday was aware of any podcast, so although it would be handy, i dont think its a great idea.

JH2 can be pretty bad im told, last year someone was doing it from upstairs adn ive gotten signal but not connection from thje foyer.

• Advertisement

As a quick side, how well have both sides of referendum been advertised this year? are people being asked to vote blind? will we start a new thread to discuss?

Folan me oul flower!
    I hadn't planned on doing wednesdays debate, a certain Terence posted on a certain forum that we were, but we weren't.

There was no wireless in JH3 last night, so we were unable to do the live stream.
    We have an audio of the hustings at our site and youtube clips of each candidates opening statements, which you can see at the relevant articles on www.maynothadvocate.com (now with fewer spelling mistakes) or our bebo profile www.bebo.com/maynoothadvocate

I'm a bit disappointed it didn't come off. Had I wanted to record from my house it would have worked perfectly, but the poxy NUIM wireless wasn't working for m e to do it on campus.

Give it a goo.

Advertisement