Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A picture paints a thousand words,

Options
  • 09-03-2008 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

This is me 3 months ago. I am currently trying to clean up my diet and stop being such a lazy ****e........

At the moment the diet changes are removing fizzy drinks, and eating significantly less processed crap, it is making a bit of a difference,

I am training about 2 times a week for weights and bodyweight stuff and shall be starting to do some triathlon stuff as I plan on doing some for the summer!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

This is me as of last monday,

I have been taking one per week to try and keep myself motivated if I can see even the slightest change and I am happy with the results,

I am going to focus on my diet and doing more in terms of getting faster and stronger, I will start posting up my diet and what actual training I am doing as of monday,

I have no stats as I have no weighing scales but I am not too bothered with the numbers that way in terms of how much I loose or gain as long as I am seeing physique changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

big difference well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wow, major progress, well done!:)

Now keep us updated on how you get on.
    These fitness logs are a major source of inspiration to many, well me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Congrats on your progress so far, there's huge difference between the two pics!! Keep it up!! :)

Thanks a million everyone, the comments are inspirational too.

I am looking at focusing on the diet, I am not taking any supplements and am gonna try get my nutrients etc from whole foods,

Will start posting up what I am actually doing once I have a bit more time and get my diet together, its ok, but as the trainer said it is "far from optimal" so a big shop this week to get in healthy stuff and start posting up what I am doing and a pic per week to show the changes hopefully,

• Advertisement

Today,

I did the crossfit workout of the day and ate the following,

Bowl of porridge,
    Some brazil nuts,
    Tuna sandwich,
    5 Jaffa cakes,
    2 chicken fillets,
    2 rashers,
    Some brown rice,
    Some Orange squash,

I am planning on doing some turbo training in the morning before work, however I have been talking about fasted 6 am low heart rate cardio for a few months now, but with a triathlon loooming I need to start it cos I have so little time each week. Hopefully tomorrow night I will post up a success story for first am cardio work :D

Well the am cardio did not work out too well,

However tonight I did a 25 km cycle in the lashings of rain as I have 80 days to get triathlon fit along with the weights and diet changes,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Wow the difference in those pictures is incredible. Very inspiring

Hey thanks littlefriend, your comment is encouraging for me too,

Just need to stay with it and work on the diet a bit more,mpreparation is the key but being brutally unorganised is a big problem for me :D

haha that made me laugh - I just got stuck behind a crash on the N11 for 2 hours. Was STARVING - all I had was a HUGE bag of sugarsnap peas in the car so I ate them all. Ludicrous behaviour - I never want to see another one again.

Its obvious from your pics that you are motivated and dedicated to your fitness. Because you are working so hard at that, its totally worth 1 - 1.5 hours of your time per week to plan your meals for a few days. A few years ago I was in ww and I made a list of around 8 or ten breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas. I found if I could manage to plan for Mon - Thurs I was grand.
    Maybe put up a thread on the diet and nutrition forum for ideas?? My mind is a bit blank atm. Last night I had some wholewheat pasta, prawns, rocket and parmesan. It was delicious and took maybe 10-12 minutes to cook.

• Advertisement

Yeh you are right it does make a big difference, I am looking to see if my boss will allow a 9 instead of an 8 am start, that way I can cycle into work, have a shower in the gym down the road and then I have my cardio looked after but I reckon leave it a while for the weather to get beter......

I am terrible with food, chicken, brown rice, some veg if I am lucky, and the fabulous Jaffa Cakes, oh the wonder of Jaffa Cakes,

Like I say my diet is not that great but cutting out fizzy drinks, crisps, and the like has made a big difference,

How are you getting on yourself?

Yeah doing ok. Have gone back to college and have an exam on saturday so I'm concentrating on that this week. Talk about unprepared - christ I'll never learn.
    I'm looking forward to next week when I can really concentrate on the whole exercise side of things. Not sure whether to join a gym or not.. I think it'd be good for weights etc but in terms of cardio as I live by the sea I think I might be better off out in the air rather than a sweaty gym. I've actually signed up for 10 wks w/ a trainer I contacted through boards. He put me through my paces last week - jesus I was stiff as hell the next day. He's away until friday week though so I'm on my own until then.
    Maybe you should see a nutritionist for a one off consultation. Shouldn't be too pricey - less than 100 euro for sure - might make all the difference to you.
    I'm meant to be doing the 40% carbs, 30% protein & 30% fat thing but am at a bit of a loss as to how to plan out meals. Will have to iron that out w/ trainer next week.

Yeh being outdoors is the way to go I think, I had a turbo trainer but I find it mind numbing being inside and on it,

What are your goals? I need to edit my first post, I reckon a nutritionist could be a great idea, but will have a browse around the interweb first,

Today was good,

Porridge for breakfast,
    Banana, Apple and a few brazil nuts,
    Tuna, potato salad, swiss cheese and an orange and a bag of popcorn,
    Some Jaffa cakes
    3 egg omelette with chicken and bacon
    Tin of tuna

Crossfit work of the day,

This is the picture from today as I had no camera on monday as I had left it behind,

40 0r so minute run, but found keeping my heart rate in my desired base fitness building zone very difficult, there were some gradients, and I did some military chins and pressups beforehand, but even at that it should of not remained elevated for too long

Disheartened but vowing to keep it in the 70/75% of maximum until the end of april for all cardio stuff, bike, run, and the dreaded swimming

Am away for Paddys weekend but will go running at least once, hopefully twice, in the same zone, and a crossfit workout on monday night before back to brutal work on tuesday

Well,

The weekend was complete mayhem, hilarious craic and my diet consisted of Guinness, bottles of beer, some seafood, and not a lot else,

I did manage a 55 minute run, with some sprints, as I was near a beach and measured out 30 yards, and did 6 sprint sets on it, sprinting and then walking back, found it very hard to keep my heart rate zone in the desired zone,

Went for a run the second day, legs were very sore from previous days work, got 20 minutes out and then realised it was a bad bad idea to be doing it this hungover with a belly full of 2 nights messing, headed back, did nothing last night but am feeling motivated and keen to do something tonight, maybe a spin out on the bike, however I am finding it very very hard to keep my heart rate down on the bike, will have a picture up tonight to keep in line with the paln, just messy the way the weekend has worked out,

So I did go for a spin on the bike,

I went from my house to town and back, trying to get a handle on how long it will take if I can organise myself for cycling in and out of work. 70 minutes or so and lashing rain, finding it hard to keep heart rate at the level I need.

I also went out today and did the same spin, 65 or so minutes but trying to keep it at a nice steady level. I reckon I will have to knock the crossfit on the head at the end of march as finding the time to do everything and have a social life is proving difficult,

I have a chin up bar and will be doing some upper body stuff before triathlon stuff just to maintain upper body strength

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Excellent progress. Keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ICX

Big difference man. Keep motivated.

Ok so I have been sticking with the cardio and did what looks like my last crossfit workout of the day as I need to start the triathlon stuff as I am doing one in may,

It sort of worries me as I am quiete trim as it is but I dont want to be a scrawny beanpole either and I know the triathlon stuff will make this difficult to not end up like,

I am gonna look at getting 2 quick but intense pullup and pressup efforts in per week as my lower will be getting a pounding from the bike and running, but I am a bit worried about how much I will drop in 4 months, I think I will post up asking has anyone any advice, maybe a gainer shake or something to increase calories,

Anyway here is the latest pic,

Went out this morning near my house on a nice loop that has 2 very steep hills then loops back onto itself, like a circuit, did 3 then got a puncture and headed back in, it was blowing a gale so not great craic,

Will be putting the new tube on and then cycling into town to meet a friend and collect a sat nav, wahooooo!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

great work gabgab, keep it going.

28 or so minutes of sprint intervals near my place, with a loop of very uphill and downhill bits, felt good and could of done alot more I feel but had a friend coming over and was a bit delayed getting started,

Curious to see how I will feel tomorrow and if I will have some leg pain or the like,

Feel good, legs not too sore at all, stretched a bit after with some pressups in between, never used to stretch and I am wowfully inflexible, cant even get near my toes bending over.

Will be interested to see how my 5k goes tonight, I want to see just how quick I can do it but finding a flat bit does not seem that easy, will do one that has quiete a bit of uphill, and see how it goes,

Not taking as many pictures as my lifting has dropped off, purely down to not going to crossfit cos meant to be focused on triathlon stuff..... I had not been doing a whole lot I must admit, but back into it now,

Went back to the gym yesterday, I had forgotten how annoying these places can be but I needed a pool with flexible swim options etc,

It looks like it is gonna be 22 minutes to swim 750 metres in the pool going on last night, got in and stayed very slowly at and crawled out 15 lengths,

(technique was horrible, felt my toes touch the bottom of the pool at one point, looked like a sinking boat I reckon, but I will work on technique more than distance cos I know that I can grind out the distances)

Did some weights but not very structured, will be making this out properly tomorrow so I can stick to it, going to look like this I reckon,

Pullups x 10
    Deadlifts x 10 (need to find a weight for this so will do it on sunday)
    Chinups x 10
    Deadlifts x 10
    Pressups, as many as I can manage in one minute
    Situps x 15
    Pressups again the same,

Then a bit of a stretch and into the pool for swimming,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

You're doing well, my son, keep it up

Thanks man appreciate it,

7k run last night, tested my 5k time at a steady pace.......

Half way through realised it was looking like 6 or 7 minutes a kilometre, started cacking it and picked up a little,

Disheartened at that, but have done very little running, want to be able to do it in 20 minutes, fresh, eg: not after a bike or anything so this is my new goal,

Will do some treadmill work, after the spinning class, but just to get that brick session idea into my brain, will be testing the times outdoors, have to admit I am worried about my incredible lack of pace here..........:mad: :mad:

Really did think I ws gonna be quicker than that, but hey I started slow and steady,

Some weights, quick and intense with a focus on speed and mostly bodyweight stuff,

Deadlifts, not sure of weight think 25kg, was very light as am still a little unsure of whether my technique is correct,
    Ten pullups,
    Deadlift,
    Ten chinups,
    Deadlift,
    Ten pullups,
    Deadlift,
    Ten chinups

Pressups, 10 and ten with one hand higher than the other,

15 situps,

Bench Press, 10 x 50kg, 10 x 52.5kg
    Dips, 20 in total, in what was supposed to be 10 x 2 but turned out alot different :mad::mad:

Then a few more situps, and into the pool, 20 minutes at a very slow pace, but am having a big problem kicking legs while making a stroke, not cool, will need to get some lessons asap, before bad habits kick in,

All in all happy with how I look, but am unhappy with my speed but not too worried as these triathlons are really to keep me focused and help me develop a base cardio fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Impressive stuff there gabgab, those photos really show massive improvement. Don't worry too much about the speed now, with your training a physique, it should come about very quickly, like you said you've done very little running, but I'd say once you start, a few weeks will show a noticable improvement.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that man,

Have been bad at putting up the pictures but I find that they are good as they help to keep me motivated as I can actually see the changes myself, reckon the speed will come too hopefully,

Once the triathlon is over its Oktoberfesrt and then onto trying to gain some mass, but staying lean

Advertisement