Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A picture paints a thousand words,

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Swam some intervals today, felt a niggle in my knee and had a nice jacuzzi afterwards. Am going to see the physio tomorrow and see what he says, fingers crossed its all good news

Went to the physio,

He figured out the problem, he reckons it was caused by a change in running surface, its my rtb, rbt, muscle that is tight but he rubbed the knots out of it,

I had a problem last year with triathlon stuff, and am proving to be quiete unlucky with them, I am very tempted to leave them and just do maintenance cardio as I am happy with my level at the moment, than just work on piling on a few pounds of muscle as I reckon I am lean enough, the triathlon stuff is not going to make me any stronger or make it easy to hold onto what I have at the moment,

Anyone any ideas??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Triathlon sucks ar$e. I train for it, but don't actually enjoy the hours of cardio. This is probably why I don't do enough of it.

The events themselves are fun, on the day there is usually a great community feeling, and it is a good way of keeping your heart healthy .... but I have to admit I find the training mind numbingly boring.

Excellent input there Bossarky,

I do them as a means to an end, in terms of being fit cardio wise, but the training and training and training just gives me a pain in my face,

I find them ok on the day, but for something I dont really enjoy, I am putting waaay too much time into it, life is too short I think!!!!!

Right I'm off to Spar, Lindt Mint Intense dark chocolate is 2 for €3.50, stuff is gorgeous, if I can offload this bike I am outta triathlon,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

what about one last hooray:D

• Advertisement

Yeh I might give Athy a blast but I am slow and that in itself is kind of embarassing you know, I did a 1hr 20 minutes in Laois last year and doubt I will be a whole lot quicker this year,

Als my mate that does them, can run 10km in 40 minutes, not cool training with him!!

tut tut, you shouldn't compare yourself to others, but if your going to, compare yourself to the 99% including me who will probably never even enter a triathlon, let alone finish one, not to long till Athy now,best of luck,

ha ha woddle, your a gas man, I like the "not too long now, best of luck" excellent approach

I hope it didnt sound like I was patronising you, it was either that or the 'In the middle of every difficulty lies great opportunity' einstein I think, a bit strong also for a pep talk.
    On another note, I was curious about the crossfit, If I went up lets say twice would I learn enough as regards form and what type of weight exercises to use at home, cause there only like 10 mins from my house. Cheers

Sent you a PM Woddle,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭bruzz

Hey all, not sure if this is correct place to post but basically just going to post up weight each week... .It's more for me.Im away this weekend until Tues so will post exact weight then and will post weekly from then on with update. I am 5'3 approx and approx 10st 7lb I reckon but will confirm Tuesday. Therefore want to lose quite a bit...I will post Tuesday.

Hey bruzz, you can start your own log in fitness logs. Select new thread and log in from there, they are good to keep track of progress and that,

Did nothing for the weekene except drink beer and eat crap, it was a nice break and deserved, especailly with this niggly knee problem.

decided that I am going to do Athy, will train for it in the coming few weeks, lift weights twice a week and just eat like a horse, then if I can offload my bike to someone I am gonna drop them, they dont go with my medium term goals and I do not get that much enjoyment out of them,

Going to spin tonight, then stretch loads, swim some intervals and then go home and chill, will post up how I got on,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

We all knew you would! :D;)

ha ha cheers Ike,

But did you kow that my new diet is Ben & Jerry's ice cream....... Its only €3.50 a tub in Dunnes, I mean seriously......

Anybody know of any nice places to go swimming in the evenings for open water stuff,

I am in the carrickmines direction, maybe Dunlaoghaire??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭bruzz

Thanks gabgab

Went out last night on the bike, doing some hills and intervals,

It cemented how much I dot like the stuff, its a testament to the discipline the people that compete at these have,

I reckon if I was in a club I would prefer it, but its not assisting my long term goals, watch this space for Triathlon stuff for sale after Athy :D:D

Ran last night, went fine for a km or so, then kne started niggling, stretched everything out, got going again a little slower, it then turned into a sort of rinse/repeat or wax on wax off run with constant stretching.........

Triathlon is officially not fun anymore!!

Swam with a mate last night, went quiete well, in the pool for 40 minutes, broke it up into 100 metre blasts with a 15 second break in between,

I was going hard but was still slow, girl beside me, seriously was effortless and just glides up and down the pool, I really dislike triathlon now, and am looking forward to it being over, going on the lash after it for the weekend, then heavy lifting for the next 6 months..... Wahooooo!!!!

I will stick with swimming for a while though, because its cardio that may actually have a shape benefit to it for my physique too, minimal, but I will still be getting some cardio and its no impact for my knee

I am happy with my bodyfat etc, and am now keen on building as much muscle as I can onto my frame, without adding fat

Last night was a cycle, maybe 20km in total, to a lake then in for what cannot be described as a swim. Far too cold and no wetsuits, but I do wanna do it again, reckon it could take me a while to get used to it but as a whole, the triathlon stuff takes up too much time out of a very small week for me,

Athy will be the last one I do unless my circumstances change, which I realistically dont want them to. cardio fitness is at a decent level, and looking forward to going lifting weights and doing some interval cardio work as maintenance, swimming and rowing I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Hey gabgab, you are still going - well done!
    About running w/ your knee - was in the woods today and I was thinking that I am going to start jogging up there rather than on the road because the ground there is softer than tarmac. Not sure would that be any hep to you at all just an idea
    well done anyway - when is the big day?

Hey Little friend,

Yeh still going but severely lacking motivation for this triathlon stuff, fueled by a very short attention span and immense impatience. Will be doing Athy at the end of may, then I am gonna lift weights for the summer and swim a bit,

That way I can develop some muscle, and keep lean, and enjoy my summer!!!

Swam last night in Salthill Dunlaoghaire, reminded me how much I hate waves...... :eek::D

Wetsuit also cutting into my neck so need to put some glide stuff there next time, tonight I am doing interval hill work on the bike with rolling hills, plan is to stay at it until I have done 20km's then run a little afterwards,

Really am looking forward to lifting weights again soon,

Interval cycle tonight, up very steep hill. Then some running, fed up of this at this stage, roll on the end of May. Doing the sprint in Athy, then gonna eat whatever I want, drink loads of beer, have some midweek fun, and then head out and do a big food shop, including a big tub of protein, and set out my weights plan.

Looks like once a week crossfit with Colm, on a wednesday, then have to figure out what the other nights. Reckon I will go with chins, pullups, squats, presses and bench, full body stuff twice a week and a swim after. Will chat to Colm about they sequence to do them in etc and take it from there,

Not much planned for today however a little mishap on my behalf led to this piece of worthwhile and very entertaining training

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55959513#post55959513

In other news I am at an all time weight or size low I reckon, trousers of suits I had taken in are loose again, I am gonna try on some jeans just to see what size my waist is,

Roll on my new eat everything in sight (clean) take protein, lift heavy and organise a programme for my add lean muscle plan, wahoooooo!!!

Sea swimming in seapoint, its just horrible, waves whacking you around, cant do a stroke cos dunno where next breath is coming but glad I did it, will be swimming in a lake from now on, looking forward to it aswell. Got one planned for tonight, should be a bit of fun, and knee is niggling but not too bad.

Been a bit scattereed about this lately, last night had some cycling intervals and then a swim, did a km, broke it up a bit but found it good. Will definitely be incorporating this into my new weights plan, have chatted with Colm and have it sorted,

So its a few more days, grind out this poxy triathlon, take a week off to do nothing and then sort out new challenge. A pic a week, a clean but big diet, protein, creatine, crossfit once a week, weights another two times and some cardio maybe, probably swimming as its cardio, and may assist me a little in shape and bodyfat.......

Last night was 25 minutes of hill intervals
    1 km in the pool broken up into 250metres, with minimal gaps

My legs are pathetically weak, have decided this after time on the bike etc, they really are shabby so my focus is on whatever Colm has for wednesday crossfit and then big compound lifts, will be brushing up on technique for these and may record as others have done before,

Holidays start with Electric Picnic, then Spain, then Oktoberfest...... So I have between now and End of August to get lean and hopefully a little bigger

Tonight, interval bike training, truly am fed up and just waiting for this triathlon to end now

So I did it, ended up at an hour 29, with a bad knee niggling at me and blistering heat I am not overly hapy with it but still glad I did it. I am selling some triathlon gear if anyone is interested :D:D

In other news, some funny parts of the triathlon, getting pulled out of the water and seeing "the white light" :D:D Then having to run/walk on a wobbly sort of jettee that reminded me of something from a gladiators game:D Running through the transition area with the thought of ducking around a corner and heading home,

The bike was good and overtook some people which made me feel great and gave me a good boost, had a great little race with a lad but he just had the stronger legs in the end,

Note: If racing someone and you see that he is doing a impressive dismount that involves clipping out, then throwing one leg over and being quick off the bike, DO NOT attempt this for the first time in front of loads of people, :D:D. You will end up on your arse and have lots of "oooooooooooooooh....... go on ya good thing......... and then a cheer when you scramble onto your feet"

The run was a nightmare, sun belting down on me, and as always when running I had no pace, the aility to up a gear just not there and my knee started to hurt about half way through.

All in all, I reckon some shabby transitions did not help my time, I am glad I did it as it goes with my new approach to healthier living, both being a bit stronger and a bit fitter, I might not break records but I am proud of it,

Now I am of to chill and practice on my new motorbike :D:D Wahooooo

Going to chill this week apart from a trip to crossfit on wednesday nigth, I am really looking forward to lifting weights and making some physique changes, will throw up a pic probably at the end of the week and then start it all again with a diet and lifting focus

• Advertisement

Congrats gabgab, was there ever any doubt, Enjoy your motorbiking, mine got robbed last week:mad:, again well done:D

Advertisement