Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A picture paints a thousand words,

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Nice one gabgab. What kind of individual timings and transition timings did you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

well done gabgab , great to say you did it ,a friend of mine competed and he also said the heat for the run nearly killed him. anway ive enjoyed reading the trials and tribulations leading up the big day , the will he? wont he? and we all knew ya would. so just to finish congrats again you should be proud of yourself now enjoy your well earned break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Ah thanks a million lads, really appreciate it. I dont know bossarky, will see when the results are up, it only had provisional times when I checked.

Being fair I didnt do tat much for it in total compared o what I should of done, trying to do a little of everything and not focusing enough on anything in particular,

A shape and size change is on the cards now,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

That's awesome man. Congratulations. A triathlon and a marathon are two things I'd love to do just to be able to say that I did them. It's something I might consider when I pass out of the junior powerlifting ranks in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

You are rockin - what a transformation since Jan - take it easy on the motorbike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Well done Gabgab - great review love the 'white light bit! :D:D:D
    Hanley wrote: »
    That's awesome man. Congratulations. A triathlon and a marathon are two things I'd love to do just to be able to say that I did them. It's something I might consider when I pass out of the junior powerlifting ranks in 2010.

C'mon Hanley welcome to the world of Cardio you know you want to...:D

I'm not messing everyone, a few boxes in the head during the swim and the heat along with goggles that gave me the same sort of visibility as stevie wonder. It made the swim exit and trip to transition area all a big blur........

I am hoping that a picture of me absolutely creaming during my rather adventureous bike dismount pops up on the site for it, be gas craic and give me lots to laugh about,

Go for it Hanley, be good craic and its definitely doable, doing it in a decent and respectable time, unlike mine, is a different story alltogether though :D:D

So, I am going to weigh myself and see what these are looking like after checking technique with Colm, I will also record and see how I am progressing, I reckon squat could actually be very very funny,

Press:
    Bench Press:
    Deadlift:
    Squat:
    Deadlift:
    PowerClean:

My plan is to do weights 3 times a week, once being whatever the crossfit WOD is on a wednesday, and the rest comprising of these lifts outlined above at 5x5

Then at the end a warm up on the threadmill, and then trying to get a 1km time down, for what reason I dont know but I will change the cardio every 2 weeks, starting with running, swimming, biking and rowing just to keep it interesting, starting monday or maybe sunday night.

So I am nearly over my week of paying no attention to what I eat and generally being a slob, satay chicken from the local chinese is fabulous :D:D

Anyway I have used the very helpful links in the sticky and come up with the following:

Bodyweight is 75kg

75 x 15.3 + 679= (1826.5) x 1.4= 2557.1

3 hours weights=1150
    1 hour cardio=600

So in total my calorie needs are 2,807. My goal is to lean out and get ripped for a holiday in 12 weeks, once that is done I will focus on eating like a horse and bulking for the winter, like a bear going into hibernation :D:D

At the moment I am getting about 2155 from my diet so I need to find those 700 somewhere healthy, am looking at it now will figure it out,

So I went back lifting weights,

Well at least I know the time to go up, and the benefit of doing the lifts I am doing is that very few people are using the area so thats good news,

I was looking to get a handle on the 5x5 but will read up on it and figure it out,

What I do know is that I am weak, scarily weak and that I want to get strong but keep the rest to a minimum, so that it has a focus on cardio too.

Feels good to be back, and I am now comfortable enough to ignore people around me lifting twice the weight but in (even my fisher price form and kinder garden level of knowledge) bad form

Squat has got to get big, looking for bodyweight squat 1rm
    Pull ups, 5x5 with weight added, long way off,
    Press, form spot on and look at weight
    Deadlift, bodyweight again
    Bench, bodyweight again

I will go through all this and will be noting all the weights at the weekend, maybe friday night with what I feel is an achievable 5x5 for all lifts.

• Advertisement

BossArky wrote: »
    Nice one gabgab. What kind of individual timings and transition timings did you do?

Hey Bossarky,

Looked and it looks like in total I did 10 mins of transitions,

Swim 11,25
    Bike 38
    Run 31

Now I'm not gonna make up any excuses, like the heat, the boxing match I had with a swim buddy the monkey on a unicycle that followed me around trying to distract me on the run, and the bottles of water they gave me that filled with sand...................... That and I am slow, seriously slow :D:D;)

Pretty piss poor really but glad I did it and know I can grind it out, now its weights and some short burst cardio fun for me, wahooooo :D:D

Ah come on now,

These DOM's are ridiculous but its only my legs, however I am walking a bit funny :D:D

Back up tonight, so will throw up the weight I did, plus reps and rest,

Diet has been pretty clean, waiting on some supplement to arrive but no sign yet, will be eating nuts and tuna till then.

Wahoo.....!!

Supplement factory Whey arrived, chocolate flavour is nice so happy days on that front. Have decided to not go down the creatine route, maybe when summer is over and I am looking to get "too big"...........:D:D

Anyway, new pic attached, that along with the weights I struggled to lift really has me pissed of with the whole thing,

All of these are weight plus 20kg Olympic bar and what I will be doing on friday, 5x5

depressing to say the least:

1)Squat: 22.5kg
    2)Bench: 35kg
    3)Standing Press:12.5
    4)Pullups went a little like this;
    3 full, 2 with a leg kick
    2 full, 3 with a kick
    3 kicked, then 2 single stood
    2 kicked, then 3 single stood
    1 kicked, then 4 single stood.
    5)Deadlift: 25kg

I will go with negatives once I start failing on friday,

The pullups were done with a 30 second rest between,

In other news 9pm is the time to hit westwood weights area, its nice and empty and alot more room,

Leg DOMs have been horrendous,

I am going to do the greystones triathlon I decided. I have a bit more time now with a revised work schedule and I find they are good for focusing me on doing cardio,

I will however be doing it on a different approach that I am going to look at and see how it goes, plan being to train it interval style until I stop making progress and go from there,

Lifting is pathetic, and I have been making an arse of the way to do the starting strength programme but I will sort that out tomorrow night and be back up lifting then.

Squat: 22.5kg
    Bench: 40kg
    Press: 12.5kg
    Dead: 25kg
    Pullups: scattered and against the clock. However I am not meant to be doing these, they are supplementary. Really looking forward to starting strength stuff, its so simple and keen to see how the numbers progress over next while.

WITH GOOD FORM :D:D

I can't believe you are going to do the greystones triathalon - its in august or something like that right? There are quite a group of ppl to train with afaik so you might not be so bored with this one. I'm from Greystones btw so I'll go and cheer you on if you like :)

I went to crossfit today - just learned how to deadlift [I think]. Was grand, he is going to train me on my own for 4 wks and then go to the normal classes..

Anyway you are a total inspiration - just wanted you to know that!

cheers little friend, glad to hear that crossfit is going good for you.

Lifting tonight was crap, head all over the place, am worried about form on squat and deadlifts, monster session on saturday night, was not right all day sunday and think it caught up on me,

Camera is in mates apartment, will take pic tomorrow night, all in all a crap session, place was jammers, no focus, felt like I did nothing. Wednesday crossfit so looking forward to that,

Nothing tonight, will start triathlon stuff next week. Reckon interval and quick is the way to go, Greystones is on the 9th, thought it was the end so will have to get going on that.

Crossfit tomorrow night, will swim and run on thursday, want to see if my knee gets sore running, hopefully not,

Got file failed with picture, dont know why, will try again tomorrow night

Ok this is not a good start, I have been very scattered and need to get the lifts sorted as I am not sure if I am correct i some of them,

Squat: I will be going for 20kg, WITH MY WEIGHT ON MY HEELS, I know I can egotistically put more weight on the bar, but its not good form

Bench: 23.5 3x5
    Pulls: Bodyweight + 4kg 3x5

Need to get the exercises and weights sorted, too much messing and not enough work,

Ah stop whining - think of your lifestyle before Christmas and listen to you now. You'll get back into it - maybe you should have taken 2 wks off looney tunes

ha ha cheers,

But I gotta get my thumb out a little, gonna go for a swim tonight with a few of the lads, so that might be a bit of craic racing one another.

Wanna do 40 lengths, broken up in no particular order

• Advertisement

Saturdays weights (no swimming on friday, got caught up at home)

Squat: 60kg
    Bench: 67kg
    Pulls: Bodyweight + 4kg
    Press: 32.5kg

Previous entires had been without the bar for the weight,

I am going to weigh myself on tuesday night just to see, cant do it now as I have no scales. I really want to get the squat and powerclean form right,

Am going to go for a run each morning this week before work, for 20 minutes, handy enough pace, plan is to do it for 5 mornings then it will be a bit easier as a habit hopefully, starting monday morning :D

crossfit:

20 kg thrusters, 10 pullups as many rounds as possible in 15 minutes: Got 7 and half
    Skipped this morning instead of ran, pure laziness on my behalf. 10 minutes of it at a handy enough pace,

Week three pic. Have decided to let the diet slip a bit once holidays over in September, wanna get bigger once they are over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

gabgab wrote: »
    crossfit:

20 kg thrusters, 10 pullups as many rounds as possible in 15 minutes: Got 7 and half
    Skipped this morning instead of ran, pure laziness on my behalf. 10 minutes of it at a handy enough pace,

Week three pic. Have decided to let the diet slip a bit once holidays over in September, wanna get bigger once they are over

Have you developed a slight gut there chief??! The light is very harsh but there's a fair difference between this one and your last photo?

The camera settings are changed and I am standing more square onto it to give a fairer pic, dont think I have though. Diet has been clean few extra beers but not that bothered, reckon it might be the light and angle. Will take all the pics as square on as I can from now,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

gabgab wrote: »
    The camera settings are changed and I am standing more square onto it to give a fairer pic, dont think I have though. Diet has been clean few extra beers but not that bothered, reckon it might be the light and angle. Will take all the pics as square on as I can from now,

Ah - sorry actually I was looking at the 2nd picture that you posted in this log so I was making a comparison with that one. Could be the light alright but looks like you can pinch more round the middle now as compared with when you started the log. You know better of course and even if you had put it on with your body type you could lose it just as quick! If only the same could be said about me!

Ah dont worry about it, to be honest I was probably being a bit of a twat and taking them at an angle that was flattering before this. Will take them square on and work on getting stronger and leaner,

Going to weigh myself soon, will be interested to see what I am and then look at my one rep max's for bench and squat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Hugh Mongus

Great work so far mate. Very impressed!

I see your following the Starting Strength routine. I've been following it since late Nov/early Dec of last year and I've made some good progress. Basically if you've any questions or queries about the program just pop over to my log and fire away.

You probably wont though because the book is just that damn good! :D

Cheers man,

Have been doing a crap job of following it so far being honest. Feel good today though, have done some decent work this week and feel good. Will be doing it with a good, and strong mate of mine from next week. Looking forward to it,

Wanna get strong and lean,

Really need to get my act together for this triathlon in August. Gonna do some sprint work on the treadmill tonight, then down for the same in the pool. I know I can cover the distances, but my running is pathetic. Hopefully the regular squatting will add some strength to my legs, but will look at supplementing it with a spinning class once a week too.

No real interest in these apart from giving me some focus for cardio,

Still though does feel great now knowing that I can do one, compared to last year when I was terrified of them :D:D I might be slow but I can still grind one out,

Looking forward to getting the bodyfat done by bwardrop, reckon it will be quiete high, based on how much I can actually grab :p I have one big session that is a weekend away with the lads in July, but I will run one of the evenings before heading out, maybe ;)

• Advertisement

Getting up and doing cardio in the morning is proving to be very unsuccessful, purely down to my laziness. I have a triathlon in about 5 weeks, along with this bodyfat loss competition so I need to get my finger out,

Last night I went up to swim but forgot some stuff, so I squatted a bit, trying to get a bit of blood flow going, then some sprint running work, it went ok, but as alwasy my running has been shocking......

Need to just set out my week and stick to it, especially the running part of training

Advertisement