Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A picture paints a thousand words,

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Hey man no I didnt, the endurance stuff is not my thing I just keep getting roped into them by a "friend"

I have read good things about the crossfit endurance stuff though,

This morning went well, I am still not comfortable with the power clean but will be looking up a few video's and reading up on it. I have substituted in chins and pulls instead;

Squat:
    5 x 2 :27.5
    5 x 1 :32.5
    3 x 1 :42.5
    2 x 1 :47.5
    5 x 3 :52.5

I am not happy with these and seem to be carrying too much of the weight with my wrists, I think I am going to stay at this weight and focus on not doing this, pushing my knees out and really driving my hips out of it

Press:
    5 x 2: 2.5
    5 x 1: 5
    3 x 1 :7.5
    2 x 1: 10
    5 x 3: 15

Chins unassisted:
    5 x chin
    5 x Pull
    5 x chin x 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

hey, when are you coming out to see the route?

Hey littlefriend,

I keep meaning to head out but am up to my eyes all the time. Maybe tomorrow evening,

Last night,

Squat stayed the same as I was not happy with the way it went last time,
    Bench had work sets at 67.5
    Deadlift was the same as bench

Cant remember the weights used warming up etc, but I really find keeping a note of the weights is proving invaluable, just an old Diary I had from work with the weights and some notes scribbled,

I also found that not breathing made chins easier the last time, I have no idea why, but trying to breath while doing them made them seem harder,

I am 76kg as per the scales last night before the workout. I would like to get to a point where my work sets in the bench and squat are my bodyweight, but at 6'1 or 6'2 and 76kg I look pretty slim to say the least, will start bulking up soon I think. I really enjoy the lifting, I look forward to going and trying to lift more and do it well,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

6'1/2' at 76kg :eek:

I'll bet you look slim!

I'm 6'3 at 91kg and I thought I was looking slim :eek: What kg did you start off at?

I dont actually know being honest PVT, I know at one point I was 82/83kg.

I reckon I will focus on being stronger and if I get bigger then fair enough, its mad cos I know a few lads that look slim, well they are slim, but my god can the move lift some heavy stuff,

And if you take into account the ratio of bodyweight to weights lifted its impressive stuff, I am tempted to just buy creatine and mass gainer and go at it for 6 weeks eating everything in sight :D:D

Last night was the crossfit workout of the day, was good to have some craic and meet some of the old heads. Found it went well, was happy enough with the running etc,

Will head up tonight and do starting strength workout, gotta keep upping those numbers :D

Forgot I had cinema tickets booked,

Tonight was good,

Work sets were
    Squat 55kg
    Bench 70kg
    Deadlift 70 kg

Will be going for runs between now and thursday as I have this triathlon which I have done nothing for,

Am delighted with the weights going up, will be getting a video up soon hopefully, pic as of last night. No real change, have decided to put on some size, or at least try and may buy some creatine. Once Oktoberfest is over is September I am going to look at bulking up and getting stronger, would like to be able to properly, with decent form squat and bench 100kg as a work set. I really dont know how far off I am, but its a good bit away.

Could I add 45 kg to my squat and 30 kg by December, going on the increase by 2.5 kg each lift session, its

22 squat sessions @ 3 per week is 7 weeks
    12 bench sessions @ 6 a month is 8 weeks

I would really love to be able to do this and if loads of extra calories mean I can do it then I have no problem with that at all,

At my weight and bodyfat now I'm pretty lean anyway, and with the winter and all looming :D:D

No starting strength at all this week, need to do some sort of ccardio preparation for greystones,

I did a 5km run that has a fairly steady and gradual incline of 50 metres from one end to the other, went fine but I didnt time it, just said I would get out and do one,

Will head swimming tonight, do the distance nonstop, have not been out on the bike at all, doubt I will either,

Once it is over I will work on strength, I would love to be able to have work sets of 100kg on the bench and squat, this is my new goal :D

• Advertisement

No swim got caught up,
    Went for a 5km run, did it in 26 mins, lashing rain and was going hard.

Come on saturday and back to starting strength,

I have come to the conclusion that I make lots of excuses for why I dont get stuf done, in all facets of life. Its pretty weak and lazy actually,

So working a bit harder at it now,

Did the triathlon on saturday, went grand. Am back lifting now and did the same weights as last time apart from deadlift which was 80kg. Was surprised that it went well as I thought a good few days off would of made it hard to get back into it and I would of struggled,

Will be lifting like this all the way to christmas, not gonna bother with any scheduled cardio, just want to get to a 100kg squat and bench

Same warm up as usual, 5x2, 5x2, 3x1, 2x1, 5x3,

Work sets went like this:
    Squat 57.5
    Press 40kg
    Chins I did 3 sets of 5 at bodyweight.

Am going to get to my power clean sorted out and then get video's up of all lifts asap. It is taking me a long time to get through the workouts but I am happy with the weights going up and look forward to the workouts,

Same system for warming up etc:

Bench was 72.5kg, mised the very last rtep but I think I needed a bigger break
    Squat was 60kg, went well
    Deadlift: 82.5 kg, dont know how good the form was, really need to get a video and record them

So I have done some browsing and read up and based on this link: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf I should be able to achieve the following based on weighing 75kg,

Squat: 115kg
    Press : 60kg
    Deadlift: 133kg
    Bench: 85kg
    Power Clean: 80kg

Its interesting stuff, and has highlighted some major weaknesses for me,

So last night went well, did it with a mate who is always good craic:

Squat 62.5 kg 5 x 3
    Press 42.5 kg 5 x 3
    Chinups @ bodyweight 5 x 4

I might buy a chinning belt to allow me add weight, or I might just work it up in numbers, that said for what I am looking to do the belt makes more sense as it is strength numbers

For now I will work on just grabbing a dumbbell between feet as I am kind of broke,

Up again with my mate, makes it a bit more fun and its good as its encouragement and a bit of competition. That said he is 3 stone heavier than me,

Last night was the usual 5x2, 5x1, 3x1, 2x1 warm up and then work sets:

Sqaut: 65kg
    Bench: 72.5kg
    Deadlift: 85kg

I missed the bench last time on the very last rep, possibly due to my lack of concentration but it felt great hitting it last night.

I am going to look at getting a sports massage or something, my legs are sore alot of the time, in particular the one that hurt during triathlon in the same spot. Its not sore, but it niggles and you know its there, the pain, not my knee, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

gabgab wrote: »
    I might buy a chinning belt to allow me add weight, or I might just work it up in numbers, that said for what I am looking to do the belt makes more sense as it is strength numbers

For now I will work on just grabbing a dumbbell between feet as I am kind of broke,

Hey gabgab, AFIK some of the MMA lads use Karate belts to do their dips / pull ups. It's basically a really long belt you can tie the weights on to and they're usually >€10.
    How many sets are you doing in your work set? 10?

Hey hail,

I am doing 5, because my goals are to get strong, now at the moment its just chins until I get cleans worked out. That said I did 4 sets of 5 with no problem at all,

Am thinking of working the numbers up, till I get to ten per set, which I dont see as a problem as I was previously doing this number wide arm pulls, but once I get there I will go for weighted and just 5 as per the rest of my stuff,

Also am going to start posting up my diet, its pretty pants now that I think about it and its going to slow down my glorious 100kg sqaut goal, and at 6'2 and 75ish I am a whippet,

So I took a while off with Electric picnic and loads of other stuff going on. I am back at it for the next 17 days with tonight going like this hopefully:

Squat: 67.5
    Press: Press 45kg
    Chins: Going to go for 4x10, then add weight next week, I dont know if I will hit it,

Weighing myself tonight too, will be keeping a log each week of what I weigh. That way I can note the gains hopefully, with an emphasisi on eating more, not being a sap about it and thinking I am eating too much, drinking my milk :D

Then in January working towards a 20 minute 5km run, using the same principal as starting strength, setting a comfortable pace, seeing how long it takes, then working at increasing the pace each and everyworkout

• Advertisement

Electric picnic and horrendous diet has had its toll over the last week or so,

Squat 67.5 but horribe form etc
    Press 42.5 and the same
    Chins 1x6,1x6,1x6,1x4

I weigh 81/82kg tonight, will weigh again next week.

So I am a little baby, that is too ****ing lazy to eat more and eat well, its official.

I grinded out a workout last night, with the following:
    Squat: 67.5
    Bench: 75
    Deadlift: Failed at 87.5, then failed at 85, then got fed up and went home.

I did realise this though, if I wait a while between sets, eg 2/3 minutes I can bang out a bit more, or not fail as quickly. I am still going for that 100kg squat, and 100 kg bench, with a equivalent or in line deadlift, then changing goals,

I do have a sort of throat infection thing which is not helping, but that said I am eating like a baby and being a lazy dick about one of the most important elements of my goals,

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

gabgab wrote: »
    Electric picnic and horrendous diet has had its toll over the last week or so,

Squat 67.5 but horribe form etc

I find it useful, and certainly a lot less discouraging to drop back the weight a bit after an absence from the gym - say 70-80% of the weight. Dont worry you build it back up very quickly and get to maintain good form. Never sacrifice form, injury is last thing you want when working towards a goal.

Yeh cheers for that, I reckon refueling and taking it easy over the weekend will help me,

When I say horrible form I mean a lot of stalling through the lift etc, it does show just how much boozing and eating junk plays havoc, that said I have been adding some decent weight.

Have a pain in my back from where I turned messing, its niggly and annoying.

I am going to head up today, do the workout and then hit the jacuzzi,

Before that I will look at my starting weights, my current weights and that might give me a bit of encouragement. Missing lifts all over the place is no fun, but only myself to blame

It looks like I have been doing this for 7 weeks in total so far, having started on the 24th of July. It might be time for a reset as Rippotoe recommends, and eat alot better and alot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Hey gabgab, do you mind if I ask what your body fat % was at the time you took the first two photos in your log. i.e before you started, and March 3rd. Thanks.

Not at all Kazzer, but I dont actually know. I think at my leanest pic I was 12 or so, I got measured by Bwardrop, with a proper metal calipers and a number of readings from different bodyparts and an average worked out,

Hope this is some help, I found taking pics in the same lighting once a week made a difference to my motivation. I also need to get back training, took a small break that has turned into a huge one,

Getting squat coaching from Mr.O'Reilly on wednesday which should be great craic,

Soooooooooo..........

My squat form is not great> I go too low, I dont pull my arse back, and I dont push my knees out far enough.

Colm helped me out as always, with some pointers:

Knees out as though I am trying to touch the cage on either side,
    Practice some air squats and find the point that I fall backwards,

I am delighted though, got 70kg's out and heading up got my motivation back to train so happy days:D

Been brutal as of late, and the dates of my posts highlight it.

Back tonight and have 3 sessions this week before Oktoberfest in Munich on friday,

Squat: 72.5
    Bench: 75
    Deadlift:82.5

I need to get my head back into my goals of 100kg squat and 100kg bench. I am looking to train MMA with Colm or maybe locally once I have achieved this, by christmas leaves me with 13 weeks till christmas.

Squat goes up 7.5kg a week based on linear progression so the 100kg squat should be a sinch, even allowing for stalling

Bench is a little bit different, 13 x 3 is 39 workouts, which means 19 bench workouts to jump 25kg. I dont know how difficult this is going to be but I reckon very, I am already finding 75kg very hard. I will be eating alot better, and getting alot more calories into me for these 13 weeks. Hopefully I can hit it,

I skipped lots of work, I got lazy and now I am gonna have to just suck it up and work at it.

Went to the gym, it was packed and I had not a lot of time. Did some chins, dips and pressups as I could not get near anything I needed. Pain in the stones,

Still it did highlight that my cardio stuff is not great, be good to get back doing some heavy speed and strength work once I hit my 100kg Bench and Squat

• Advertisement

Oktoberfest was mental craic,

I'm now back training and it felt good, I hit the following work sets:
    Squat 75kg
    Bench 75kg
    Deadlift 82.5 kg,

Attached a pic as I decided to get back into this again after the messing it will help, I weigh 80kg tonight too.

Advertisement