Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new router wanted...

Options
  • 10-03-2008 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭

i'm looking to get a new ADSL router that need the following things.
    • ADSL modem
      • reason for this is i'd rather not have another plug running on my power strip 2 monitors,laptop,computer,speakers,NAS server is a tad much. also will need to be ADSL 2+
    • gigabit ports
      • at the moment my router/modem (linksys WAG353) only has 10/100 ports which make my NAS run incredibly slow.
    • good wireless range and preferably 802.11.n.
      • and not cause a fuss when multiple devices are connected wirelessly, my current router throws a **** fit when i have my macbook, a laptop and an iphone connected to it and makes browsing the net real slow on each device even if network traffic is low.
    anyone have anyone recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Either of these will do the job perfectly: D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router or Netgear DG834N.

<edit>Actually, I just rechecked the Netgear one, it only has Fast Ethernet, only the non-DSL edition has Gigabit</edit>
    <edit2> And the D-Link doesn't have a DSL modem, d'oh for me</edit>

You may just be out of luck with this, for now... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i really like the look of that d-link one and have nothing but good things to say about them (the NAS is one of their's :P) but according to komplett.ie's product description it says you have to connect it to a modem
    The D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router (DIR-655) is a draft 802.11n compliant device that delivers up to 14x faster speeds and 6x farther range than 802.11g while staying backward compatible with 802.11g and 802.11b devices. Connect the Xtreme N Gigabit Router to a cable or DSL modem and provide high-speed Internet access to multiple computers, game consoles, and media players.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331590

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Yup, see second edit :(

i've decided i'm gonna go with the dlink router i really need gigabit and i'll just use the linksys as my adsl modem or will that cause a problem seeing as it's a wireless router too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Cremo wrote: »
    i've decided i'm gonna go with the dlink router i really need gigabit and i'll just use the linksys as my adsl modem or will that cause a problem seeing as it's a wireless router too.

That should work ok, if you disable the WLAN function on the Linksys.

You'll be hard pushed to find a high spec router with all those features that also has an ADSL/Cable (or any other type of) modem in it, as the manufacturer knows that putting a modem into their box means that its potential sales to anyone who doesn't use that connection method is gone.

Best solution of all is to get the best router you can find, with all of the features you want, including PPPoE, and then connect it through a simple bridged modem, which you never need to touch again. (Does the dlink have PPPoE, and can you bridge the linksys?)

• Advertisement

i can set the linksys to the following encapulation modes

RFC 1483 Bridged
    RFC 1483 Routed
    RFC 2516 PPPoE
    RFC 2364 PPPoA
    Bridge mode only.

the tech sheet has no mention of PPPoE :(
    ftp://ftp.dlink.eu/datasheets/DIR-655.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

No sweat, you can let the linksys do the PPPoE and DHCP work, and then get the new Dlink to do all of the rest (NAS on Gigabit, 802.11n, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

The D-Link DIR-655 supports PPPoE.

ordered the DIR-655 just there.

cheers guys for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I had a DIR-655 ... but after about 6 weeks it started rebooting constantly, so I brought it back and got a netgear DG834N. But up until that point I was very happy with it, very quick gui, overall fast operation (little niggle, the blue leds are awful bright). On checking various forums I was told that having it lying down probably caused the problem as the processor then may overheat ... standing it vertically is apparently the fix for the issue, better airflow ..... but then you dont know what to do with the 3 aerials ...

It should be noted that I brought back the Netgear bacause its range/throughput was absolutely rubbish. I live in a crowded (wireless speaking) area with at least 10 access points visible. The Dlink never gave any problems in this environment ....but the Netgear (using the same channel and position in the flat) was just rubbish with the wireless signal frequently dropping .... I'm putting it down to the internal aerials...

I still like Dlink kit (tbh, I was quite cross when it went titsup, but I got over it) and I am currently using my old backup Dlink abg router ... Personally I am waiting for the DIR-855 to be generally available ... it can do 802.11n over 802.11a frequencies. It will cost me in the region of £200 squids I suppose for the router and an adapter or two, so it wont be cheap, but meh, it should be reasonably future proof

• Advertisement

k problem time.

i set my linksys WAG353g (my old modem/router combo) into to bridge mode and setup my new router.

connected the aerials
    connected the power
    connected my pc to switch slot no. 1 on the dlink
    connected dlink (from the WAN port) to switch slot no. 1 on the linksys, the dlink instructions said to connected it to your modems ethernet port so i assumed any one of the four would do.

i ran the easy setup thingy which basically made sure i connected everything up fine. then asked me how how i was to connect to the internet, i selected PPPoE and gave it my username and password. it then tried to connect to the internet but it failed giving me the helpful error of "unknown error - Please contact your ISP" now i ain't going to call BT cause 1. i don't have their modem anymore and 2. they won't humour me as i'm using a third party modem (the linksys).

i have two lights on the linksys DSL status (which is solid green) and another one called Internet, which is on at the moment as i'm using the linksys to allow me to write this message.

this light however goes off when the linksys is in bridge mode, should it do this?

i honestly haven't got a clue about home networks and i kind of feared something like this would happen.

nevermind, i fixed it.

turns out putting the linksys into bridged mode basically turns off wireless, it will only give out internet to a machine connect to the switch and not a router :rolleyes: defeats the whole purpose of bridged mode tbh.

spent a good hour looking around my room for my old zyxel modem and after tearing the place apart i find it in the most obvious of places :rolleyes:. connected that up logged into it and then turn it on to bridge mode and 10 seconds later the dlink was working.

i have to say i'm impressed by this router, it's the small things like having presets for port forwarding and the wealth of options that there is compared to the linksys.

thanks all for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Cremo wrote: »
    turns out putting the linksys into bridged mode basically turns off wireless, it will only give out internet to a machine connect to the switch and not a router :rolleyes: defeats the whole purpose of bridged mode tbh.
    Not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean that when in bridged mode the linksys would only allow a computer to control the connection and not a router?

I don't know about the WAG353g but I find the linksys WRT54g and WAP54g models to be excellent. Its great that you can load up modified firmwares onto them aswell giving them way more features.

yeh sorry i meant that it would only allow a computer to control the connection.

i have worked with linksys standalone routers and found then excellent i just think this particular all-in-one jobbie was quite useless.

Advertisement