Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peeping Toms - Sligo Town

Options
  • 10-03-2008 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Hi

Strange one this.

My Mum has just moved into an new apartment in town, and she has a perv problem.

Some bloke in the block opposite hers stands looking through binoculars every night into her apartment. Her blinds are being made, so theres not alot she can do. She is a pensioner living on her own, but shes pretty tough. Shes had the Guards up about it two weeks ago, but last night the sicko set up a camcorder aiming towards Mums flat.

So she rang the Guards again, bit of a drama to get them to come up - as the Guard who originally dealt with her complaint was off duty (so??). Eventually, after Mum having to argue that this was unacceptable, three of them arrived. They could see the camera set up in the window, but no sign of the perv. They went over to his apartment, and gave him a "warning", he apologised and said it wouldn't happen again. The Guards seemed to be confused as to what they could charge him with, asking each other etc.

The 3 Guards were then in Mums apartment, looking out at his, and no sign of him, then, as soon as they left, sicko sticks his head up against his window looking into Mums. So she ran out to her corridor and called the Guards back, they come pelting back into the apartment but sicko is gone again. Although his curtains had been obviously moved, so the Guards knew he had been there.

I'm just furious. The last thing my Mum needs is some little **** like this. Shes lived in one of the roughest areas of London for the last 20 years without a bother, and I finally got her to come over here and she feels so uncomfortable.

I can't post up details of the area, person etc. but I just want to let other women know this is going on and to be wary of it at home.

With thanks to Basquille and Muffler for allowing me to post this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

sueme has asked for permission for this to be posted and both myself and muffler have allowed it on the basis that the name of any specific area or development is FORBIDDEN to be mentioned.

So please bear this in mind when replying to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

That's terrible Sueme! I hope your mam's alright?

Have the Guards said they'll be able to do anything? Surely this would be seen as harrassment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

takola wrote: »
    That's terrible Sueme! I hope your mam's alright?

Have the Guards said they'll be able to do anything? Surely this would be seen as harrassment?

Thanks Takola, my Mums okay, but its just horrible, shes a tough old bird, and she doesn't tell me about it untill the following morning.

No the Guards haven't said they will do anything. And I suppose the next time she rings them, she'll have the same hassle trying to get someone out to see him "in action". To be fair, Mum has said that the Guards who have come up to her have been very sympathetic and understanding. But nothing seems to happen afterwards, what are they waiting for....??

+1 Harrassment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Thats just awful. Your poor mum.
    I say get something temporary up if you can to obscure his vision and get the permanent curtains up asap for a start. He may be opportunistic. I suppose the other thing that until a correct course of action is decided that she keep a record of the incidences, dates, times as a sort of evidence. At least the Gardai will see how serious she is and is'nt going to roll over on this. Did he give any kind of excuse for his behaviour to the Gardai?
    Are you aware whether he is a local authority tenant? If he is, it might be worth talking to one of the housing officers and writing to them. I think it takes a lot to get someone evicted, but its antisocial behaviour. He may have an identified mental health problem and it may be just the information that someone needs to know, that suggests he getting ill again and that he needs intervention.(eg he might decide to obsess about t.v aerials or something when he is ill....)
    Anyway best of luck in the meantime.

Thanks Tuppence

The blinds are to be fitted on Friday, so not too long to go. If it was me I'd tape up newspaper or something until then, but she won't (the windows are 9' high btw -so very exposed). Thanks for the tip regarding dates and times girls, it didn't cross my mind. She is in a supported housing development and they are really fantasic with support etc. so I'm sure they will chase it up again on Monday.

AFAIK, the guy is in private accomadation, there are kids living next door to him, which makes me uneasy.

We will get this sorted somehow, but the main reason for my post was to warn other women that is happening in town, and to be aware of it. This guy is young, in his 20s, my Mum is 65.

tuppence wrote: »
    Thats just awful. Your poor mum.
    I say get something temporary up if you can to obscure his vision and get the permanent curtains up asap for a start. He may be opportunistic. I suppose the other thing that until a correct course of action is decided that she keep a record of the incidences, dates, times as a sort of evidence. At least the Gardai will see how serious she is and is'nt going to roll over on this. Did he give any kind of excuse for his behaviour to the Gardai?
    Are you aware whether he is a local authority tenant? If he is, it might be worth talking to one of the housing officers and writing to them. I think it takes a lot to get someone evicted, but its antisocial behaviour. He may have an identified mental health problem and it may be just the information that someone needs to know, that suggests he getting ill again and that he needs intervention.(eg he might decide to obsess about t.v aerials or something when he is ill....)
    Anyway best of luck in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

At the risk of Garda bashing again, I can't say I'm suprised at their approach. On a number of occasions lately, I have encountered Guards struggling to think of reasons or laws under which to charge people. Maybe it's ineptitude or maybe they fob people off in this way. The old chestnut of "the Garda dealing with your case is off" is a classic at this stage. It actually means "we don't want to help you, please go away". What difference does it make if Garda Jimmy is off when you call about an incident in progress and Garda Paddy answers the phone? Not good enough.
    This sort of invasion should be dealt with in the harshest way. Nobody should have to feel unsafe or uncomfortable in their own home. The Gardai putting it on the long finger is not acceptable.
    If that was my mother, I'd be calling around with a few friends to state my case. I'm not condoning vigilantism (only because it gets people's heckles up) but I wouldn't stand by and let this happen while the Gardai stand idly by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

il gatto wrote: »
    At the risk of Garda bashing again, I can't say I'm suprised at their approach. On a number of occasions lately, I have encountered Guards struggling to think of reasons or laws under which to charge people. Maybe it's ineptitude or maybe they fob people off in this way. The old chestnut of "the Garda dealing with your case is off" is a classic at this stage. It actually means "we don't want to help you, please go away". What difference does it make if Garda Jimmy is off when you call about an incident in progress and Garda Paddy answers the phone? Not good enough.
    This sort of invasion should be dealt with in the harshest way. Nobody should have to feel unsafe or uncomfortable in their own home. The Gardai putting it on the long finger is not acceptable.
    If that was my mother, I'd be calling around with a few friends to state my case. I'm not condoning vigilantism (only because it gets people's heckles up) but I wouldn't stand by and let this happen while the Gardai stand idly by.

This approach is very risky. OK, so you call round with a few of your mates & warn the guy, but what happens when you've gone? Soon as the Guards left, he was back twitching at the curtains, so if he's not afraid of them, he's unlikely to be afraid of you & in fact, you could aggrevate him even further & make the situation worse.

The best thing to do would be to talk to someone in the Citizens Information Centre, who'll advice you on your legal rights for free ;

Sligo CIC

8 Lower John Street
    Sligo
    Co. Sligo

Tel: +353 71 915 1133

fax: +353 71 917 1886

email: sligo@citinfo.ie

email: sligocis@eircom.net

Opening Hours: Mon-Fri: 9.30am - 1pm & 1.30pm - 5.00pm.
    Extended opening on Tuesdays to 7pm.
    Mons & Weds 7pm - 8.30pm.

By appointment only.

Soon as the Guards left, he was back twitching at the curtains, so if he's not afraid of them, he's unlikely to be afraid of you & in fact, you could aggrevate him even further & make the situation worse.

This is the bit that disturbs me the most, he seems to have no fear. My Mum has sort off waved him off (Irish Mammy Style - go on, just stop it now - type thing.) My boyfriend - big bald tough looking fella - has been placed in the window (!), several Guards at two different times have been watching him, but he still comes back when shes alone. She sits in the dark at night watching TV, but she has to sit in the corner of her sofa, which is blind to him. She has seen him actually strain to try to see her in this corner. :mad::mad::mad:

The boyfriend wants to go over and "sort it out", but Mum doesn't want him to.
    I'm going to ring the Guards myself today, and her Housing Support team.

Thanks for the CIC info Starbelgrade, I'm hoping we won't need it.

Anyone know how to find out who the Landlord of a premises is? I'm sure they wouldn't want someone like that as a tenent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

I would be of the same mind re tackling him on a one to one being no good in long term. I kinda think it would be good to keep him on the rador. ie he may just move and go underground and start this behaviour with people who dont have the resources (ie internal and external support) to deal with it. Better the system knows about him and deals with him. This type of behaviuor needs to be noted officially. Of course again i know that can be frustrating. It varies with the services out there and accountability of them. Best to know what rights you have on this one. Yes ring CIB. (If continues you can get representation form the Free Legal Aid Centres.) As Starbelgrade said, they should advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Sue,
    from talking to the Guards, what has been this mans reason for having the camera there? Has he tried to explain it away?

• Advertisement

tuppence wrote: »
    I would be of the same mind re tackling him on a one to one being no good in long term. I kinda think it would be good to keep him on the rador. ie he may just move and go underground and start this behaviour with people who dont have the resources (ie internal and external support) to deal with it. Better the system knows about him and deals with him. This type of behaviuor needs to be noted officially. Of course again i know that can be frustrating. It varies with the services out there and accountability of them. Best to know what rights you have on this one. Yes ring CIB. (If continues you can get representation form the Free Legal Aid Centres.) As Starbelgrade said, they should advise.

I understand that its better to know where he is, what he's doing etc. But its my Mum, so tbh, I wish he would just p*ss off somewhere else. As regards his mental health, well he's obviously not got alot of it. What supports he has in place, I don't know, but he is not Irish, he's young, I would imagine he's fairly alone as regards family etc.

Its scary because he knows where my Mum lives. If anything is done about it, is he going to look for her? Catch 22.

Sue,
    from talking to the Guards, what has been this mans reason for having the camera there? Has he tried to explain it away?

They didn't go into his apartment. Taking pictures of the town apparently. :rolleyes:

sueme wrote: »

The boyfriend wants to go over and "sort it out", but Mum doesn't want him to.
    I'm going to ring the Guards myself today, and her Housing Support team.

Thanks for the CIC info Starbelgrade, I'm hoping we won't need it.

Really - these are your only options. If you get involved personally, it could so easily backfire & in fact, you could be the ones facing a legal dispute. If I were you, I would be onto the CIC straight away... they're very helpful & cost no more than the price of a phone call to make an appointment and then about 20 mins of your time to discuss the issue. At least you'll know where you stand legally and what your options are. For me, they'd be the first resort & not a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'll probably get in trouble with muffler and Basquille here but damn it, here goes anyway.

Somebody needs to pay that guy a visit and have a "quiet word" in his ear if you get my meaning.

smashey wrote: »
    I'll probably get in trouble with muffler and Basquille here but damn it, here goes anyway.

Somebody needs to pay that guy a visit and have a "quiet word" in his ear if you get my meaning.

I get it. But its the after effects I would worry about. When shes on her own...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Buy a few sheets of blank A1 paper. Cover the windows until curtains arrive.
    Consider setting up a videa camera and recording his window - this would provide evidence and would display to hi that his activities are being recorded.

One could consider geting a big heavy marker. Write in huge letters on the paper that the resident in "insert his address here" is a perv and is peeing into windows of elder ladies. You could keep this up for a period of time. It would mortify him. That said, I'm sure your mum wouldn't want a sign in her window.
    I'd go with the camera option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I my experience you have to be a c*nt to ppl like him.
    They don't worry about consequences until its done back to them.
    She should stare into his window constantly or get some binoculars or a camera.

This sort of sh*t really annoys me! It's not right. Poor woman!

I'm not sure if the Gaurds can do anything here. Has he actually broken a law?

Zulu wrote: »
    Buy a few sheets of blank A1 paper. Cover the windows until curtains arrive.
    Consider setting up a videa camera and recording his window - this would provide evidence and would display to hi that his activities are being recorded.

One could consider geting a big heavy marker. Write in huge letters on the paper that the resident in "insert his address here" is a perv and is peeing into windows of elder ladies. You could keep this up for a period of time. It would mortify him. That said, I'm sure your mum wouldn't want a sign in her window.
    I'd go with the camera option.

She won't put anything on the windows (where is the "exasperated" smilie?). She feels it would make her place look bad from the outside.

Gillie wrote: »

I gave her binoculars so she could see clearly "what he's doing", but she hasn't used them (exasperated smilie) . I would love to set up a camera, but she won't have it, roll on Friday with the blinds being fitted.

And thanks Gillie.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thats awful...id rat him to ocean fm..name & shame

• Advertisement

Gillie wrote: »

I know someone who was pulled in by the cops for questioning in Sligo after a lady reported him for taking photos of her on the street. The guy's an engineer and was doing a photographic report on a listed building in town, taking photos of the building from across the street, when a passer-by saw him & was convinced that he was taking photos of her.

The cops then pulled him in for questioning & were convinced he was "up to no good" until they checked his story out. After about half an hour of questioning they told him that there was actually nothing illegal about what he had done & that even if he was intentionally taking photos of people in a public place, that he was perfectly within his rights to do so. When he asked why then had he been pulled in, he was told that the cops were being vigilant towards paedos. This, despite the fact that the lady in question was over 18.

I'm not sure how the law relates to taking photos of people in their houses though. As I said - Citizens Information is really the only option - from what you said, the cops didn't really know what the legal was on it & getting advice from people on the forums who really aren't qualified to answer the question, isn't really going to help.

robdcu wrote: »

For legal reasons, there's no way they'd do that.

I know someone who was pulled in by the cops for questioning in Sligo after a lady reported him for taking photos of her on the street. The guy's an engineer and was doing a photographic report on a listed building in town, taking photos of the building from across the street, when a passer-by saw him & was convinced that he was taking photos of her.

The cops then pulled him in for questioning & were convinced he was "up to no good" until they checked his story out. After about half an hour of questioning they told him that there was actually nothing illegal about what he had done & that even if he was intentionally taking photos of people in a public place, that he was perfectly within his rights to do so. When he asked why then had he been pulled in, he was told that the cops were being vigilant towards paedos. This, despite the fact that the lady in question was over 18.

I'm not sure how the law relates to taking photos of people in their houses though. As I said - Citizens Information is really the only option - from what you said, the cops didn't really know what the legal was on it & getting advice from people on the forums who really aren't qualified to answer the question, isn't really going to help.

Thank you Starbelgrade, I understand your point, but I'm not looking for advice on an internet forum. I wanted to warn other people in this area to be aware.

Thank you Srabelgrade, I understand your point, but I'm not looking for advice on an internet forum. I wanted to warn other people in this area to be aware.

Ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

robdcu wrote: »
    careful_now.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I get it. But its the after effects I would worry about. When shes on her own...

Exactly! She's living there on her own. I'd be terrified that if someone had "a word in his ear" it would escalate and make things worse on your mam.

There has to be something the gaurds can do! It has to be considered harrassment! They were in her house, they seen the camera pointed at her apartment and when she had to call them back a second time because he'd come back, it was obvious he'd been at the window again! What more evidence do they need? Did they even give him an official warning or something Sue? What did they say to him? "Oh, I was just taking pictures of the town". "Oh.. Right well that's ok then, Sorry for disturbing you Sir!" :rolleyes: That's ridiculous! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

From talking to sueme before this thread was posted last night it was clear that her intentions were to alert people of what can and is happening in Sligo and the thread was certainly not intended for her to get advice on this specific topic.

However as with every topic it is there for debate and the people here have by and large offered up some good pointers but I think sueme and her mum have the situation half under control with the involvement of the Gardai.

Despite our own self preservation animal instincts to protect ourselves and those nearest to us from harm it is a much better option to leave this matter with the people appointed to uphold law and order.

On a lighter note I could have a solution myself. We could get smashey to go up to mums apartment and flash at yer man (he's no stranger to flashing after he gets through Barnesmore Gap) and I would safely say the guy would never look out his window again. :D

muffler wrote: »

On a lighter note I could have a solution myself. We could get smashey to go up to mums apartment and flash at yer man (he's no stranger to flashing after he gets through Barnesmore Gap) and I would safely say the guy would never look out his window again. :D

Either that, or it would double his interest (you never know how people will react.. especially peeping pervs!).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Courtesy of Basquille...

careful_now.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Sueme,

That's really tough first your kids in the cinema and now your mum... :mad:

It's a pity the general area where this alleged incident is happening can't be named. I don't see how it is against the rules or what danger it could bring to boards, considering there was a whole thread discussing a pervert in Sligo's cinema and how the staff there did nothing?
    (That thread was not edited or locked either.)

Advertisement