Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting again.

Options
  • 10-03-2008 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, please move it if it's better suited somewhere else.

I moved home about 6 months ago. I've recently got a new job, and I'm going to have to move, as it's in Dublin and I'm not. The last place I lived in was great, and I'll have no problem getting a reference, my parents will act as guarantors if I need to have a guarantor, as it'll be my first time renting as a non-student, I've never had any problems renting before, I sort of seemed to fall into places to rent almost without looking and my other former landlords shouldn't have a problem providing references for me if I need them either.

My real issue is I'm going to be working in Dublin 12, and I'm not sure where to look for renting, or how much I should expect to pay. I don't really want to live with a couple, and I'd consider €500-€600 for a decent single room about as much as I could stretch to. I'll be relying on public transport too. I've looked at Daft and myhome2let.ie but I'm not really finding anything appropriate. Should I call an estate agent? This is the first time I've really had to look for accommodation, housing just seemed to appear when I needed it before. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Dublin 12 is fairly large. Do you want to narrow it down a bit because buses/Luas etc all are dependent on where you actually will be working?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Sorry, yeah, I realise I might have been a bit vague. The place isn't far from the Naas or Nangor roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TechnicalGroup

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Sorry, yeah, I realise I might have been a bit vague. The place isn't far from the Naas or Nangor roads.

www.Daft.ie is by far the best for finding places to rent in Dublin, and they allow you to search particular bus routes, areas and put in all sorts of other parameters.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If it's in Parkwest, there are apartments near there. Due to the location, can't see them being too dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Sounds like park west alright. Hard enough to get to/from strangely enough. The apartments at the back aren't that cheap... there's a guy at work here renting one, 1100 a month for a one bed, which I thought was a lot! He says its about 1200 for a two bed. The 151 bus serves Park west quite well so, if you're bussing, anywhere along Nangor Road, Long Mile Road (parts of Walkinstown), Crumlin Road (Parts of Crumlin and Drimnagh), Cork St, would be handiest for you. Its a pretty well serviced route in the morning (every 15ish mins), not so good in the evening for some reason. If you're ok with cycling, there's a lovely cycle right along the banks of the canal, away from all the traffic, which brings you straight to Park west from Drimnagh (other side) or Kilmainham. Personally I wouldn't want to live in Park West, as there's not a lot out here. It takes about 20 mins to cycle from Crumlin to here, 25 along the canal, bus takes about 20. From city, I'm guessing about 35 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

patrickolee : Yeah, when I went out for the interviews Park West seemed a bit dead, apart from the business side of things. That's why I was a bit dubious about looking at Park West alone, but couldn't figure out where else would be appropriate in terms of public transport. The other information you've given me is great though, thanks. I was looking at Adamstown too, but I've heard it has quite a bad name with regard to drug dealing etc., and it's pretty far out - I had a viewing there and the bus took an age to get to the Nangor Rd. without any traffic (mid-afternoon). I can't imagine it'd be much fun first thing in the morning.

Thanks all for all your help and advice.

Advertisement