Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drivers who cruise under the limit

Options
  • 10-03-2008 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry if this has been done to death but..... I was coming up from home this evening. Took the N3 from Cavan. The amount of people I met crusing along at 80kmh (on a 100kmh stretch of road) was ridiculus. Talk about undue consideration for other drivers on the road :rolleyes:

Before I get flamed, if it was me I'd pull over to the left hand side of the road and give the person enough space to pass safely. Some drivers like to drive to the limit including me. In fact when you have so many cars behind a slower car, with eager drivers looking to get by, I think it can cause more accidents. Some brave lad might look to pass 3 / 4 car out :eek: Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

That makes perfect sense to me. As long as there is adequate room on the hard shoulder people should pull in to let others by. It's called courtesy.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

have to agree, too late and tired to add to the discussion though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's come up here before, however, the OP is not talking about using the hard shoulder, but rather the left hand lane, preventing people from undertaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'm talking about both TBH. I came down the M4 on Sat. Same sh1t. Granted it was the minority but its even more dangerous on the motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

stepbar wrote: »
    I'm sorry if this has been done to death but..... I was coming up from home this evening. Took the N3 from Cavan. The amount of people I met crusing along at 80kmh (on a 100kmh stretch of road) was ridiculus. Talk about undue consideration for other drivers on the road :rolleyes:

Before I get flamed, if it was me I'd pull over to the left hand side of the road and give the person enough space to pass safely. Some drivers like to drive to the limit including me. In fact when you have so many cars behind a slower car, with eager drivers looking to get by, I think it can cause more accidents. Some brave lad might look to pass 3 / 4 car out :eek: Any thoughts?

100kph is the max speed. they dont have to do that speed!!

80kph in a 100kph zone is "still making good progress"

they are well within their rights to drive at said speed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

what_car wrote: »
    80kph in a 100kph zone .......

That's the fu<king problem!!

Nobody is disputing that..... but the vast majority will drive up to the limit. IMO it's taking the p1ss when you're on a good road and said driver is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

i agree totally. if someone wants to pass me(the few times that happens ;)) i always let them out. its not hard to do and i would think its a safer thing than getting them pissed off and possibly doing something stupid out of frustration.

if only the blithering eejits that toodle along at 80kmh (if even) in a 100, out as far to the centre lines as possible and last week as a case in point, with the right indicator on for 3 miles to top it off :rolleyes: would do this, it would surely reduce some accidents.

clearly they have no sense of awareness as to what is going on around them and are a danger to themselves and others IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

And I'm well within my rights to do 100kph. It's back to courtesy. Pull over, let 'em off and stress levels are lower for everyone. It's really :rolleyes:simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

coolbeans wrote: »
    And I'm well within my rights to do 100kph. It's back to courtesy. Pull over, let 'em off and stress levels are lower for everyone. It's really :rolleyes:simple.

+1

But would you trust those people to be capable of manouvering left and then back into the flow of traffic if they can't travel at the limit??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

i in a car on the m50 this weekend and the car in front was doing 30, i

swear to god, no sh1t, 30! :eek: crawling along! coudnt believe it

:cool::cool::cool:

I wouldn't mind but I drive a 1.2 clio....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Got stuck a few years ago behind a very nervous female learner on the Glanmire bypass.

Problem was that one side of the bypass was being resurfaced so only one side was open with bollards seperating the two lanes.

She must have been doing 50 kph max on it. The line of traffic behind was incredible. Whatever the qualified driver was thinking of bringing her down there at 50 kph. Or for the matter, bringing her onto a dual carriageway doing 50 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I'm sorry if this has been done to death but..... I was coming up from home this evening. Took the N3 from Cavan. The amount of people I met crusing along at 80kmh (on a 100kmh stretch of road) was ridiculus.
    Before I get flamed, if it was me I'd pull over to the left hand side of the road and give the person enough space to pass safely.

Wasnt it a rainy, windy dark night? It was here and i can understand people not wanting to drive their normal speed and easing up a few mph's.

And if you are talking about driving into the hard shoulder to let people by then i can also understand people not wanting to do that either, they usually have potholes the size of baths and would distroy a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

coolbeans wrote: »
    That makes perfect sense to me. As long as there is adequate room on the hard shoulder people should pull in to let others by. It's called courtesy.:eek:
    Making other people pull over is called 'bullying'. And, let's remember that driving along on the hard shoulder is both dangerous and illegal.

Making other people pull over is called 'bullying'. And, let's remember that driving along on the hard shoulder is both dangerous and illegal.

Only illegal on Motorways as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

ninty9er wrote: »
    +1

But would you trust those people to be capable of manouvering left and then back into the flow of traffic if they can't travel at the limit??

That's a ridiculous statement. I can't stand people who poodle along hogging the centre of the road either but I don't think they're incapable of driving properly. For whatever reason they just drive slow, usually when I am behind them trying to get home asap :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Attitudes like that explain why it takes so long to get anywhere in this country.

Would you considering 24kph in a 30kph good progress ?

80kph on roads clearly capable of 100kph is scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

blay1 wrote: »
    i in a car on the m50 this weekend and the car in front was doing 30, i

swear to god, no sh1t, 30! :eek: crawling along! coudnt believe it

:cool::cool::cool:

Was that 30Mph or Kmph?
    If it's Kms then rant away. If it's mph then it's not such a sensational amount below the limit on long stretches of the M50 these days.

My €0.02: While it can be annoying, it should be remembered that the numbers on the signs are Limits, not Targets. Leave a little earlier and don't get so wound up about it and you'll reduce your own risk of having an accident and won't need anyone else to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Ferris wrote: »
    Attitudes like that explain why it takes so long to get anywhere in this country.

Right, here we go. I was travelling up from Waterford to Dublin this weekend and for the most of it I would do about 90 km/hr, not the 100 km/hr limit, even when the road was clear ahead - and I have reasons for it. And as for pulling over...

1. The bulk of the road covered isn't really suitable for 100km/hr and that speed is just dangerous (Thomastown anyone?) with the bends
    2. The amount of spanners stuck to my rear bumper on said road with no obvious overtaking advantage (i.e. I was the twelfth car in a stream of same speed traffic). If I get this I tend to slow down - much safer
    3. Pull-over in to the hard shoulder? No. Point-blank no. This is not about stubborness - its about safety. The hard-shoulder is not a safe place to be driving. This road-space is typically used by people on junctions to creep out to get better visibility of the road ahead. They are not expecting you to come trundling along so close to them.
    4. Pull-over in to the hard shoulder? No - again. In a stream of traffic people won't let you back-in!
    5. Pull-over in to the hard shoulder? No - again. If you cannot safely overtake the vehicle in front in the correct road position, then fuppin don't do it!! I am sick of seeing people forcing an overtake just to get one car ahead in a stream of traffic.

In all of the above, I keep a defensive road position to the left of my road-side but certainly not on the hard-shoulder or white line.

Why all the safety concerns? People keep dying on our roads - fact. Inappropriate speed and behaviour is a massive contribution. This weekend, there was 5 souls on-board the car (3 of which under the age of 3). I am not going to compromise my safety for anyone.

Get over it people.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

jayok wrote: »
    Why all the safety concerns? People keep dying on our roads - fact. In appropriate speed and behaviour is a massive contribution. This weekend, there was 5 souls on-board the car (3 of which under the age of 3). I am not going to compromise my safety for anyone.

Get over it people.

+1

The road signs are not only for you, there are other people on the road that have as much right to be there as you. Alot of them are idiots. There is nothing you can do about it except enjoy the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

well i dont think the op is talking about being stuck in a line of traffic thats totally different so it is, when theres an insurmountable string of traffic i just sit back and relax because its all you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

I had posted this in the Introduction of Speed Cameras discussion a few days ago but it seems relevant her also.

I was driving over in England yesterday (300 odd miles), while on the motorway I came across about 7 places which had the tell tale sign of fixed speed cameras (white lines in parallel on the road) but not one speed camera to be seen (were removed), the only place I seen a fixed speed camera was in a little village, (I think it was outside a school not sure of that).

As I was driving on the motorways I was at the limit while many cars flew by me, I dont see a problem with this as these roads were super and every one stayed in the right lanes there was no lane hoggers, nearly every one stayed in the left lane even though there was 3 lanes and only used the middle and outside lanes for overtaking, they defiantly know how to drive over there.

Also on the single lane roads people over took each other while the person being overtaken most of the time would move in a little to help the overtaking car, there was no beeping of the horn, flashing of the lights, damming you to hell for doing that evil thing, overtaking (unlike in Ireland were all the above happen).
    There was also a lot of visual police on the roads either waiting at some junctions or driving in the traffic.
    This really did show me how backwards this country is with regards to driving education/attitude, roads, policing.
    And the sad thing is while they seem to be taking the cameras out (motorways) we seem to be putting them in.

Also on the single lane roads every few miles there was laybys for people to stop and have a snooze, relax or just pull in and let people by.

In general the motorist in England seem to be more concerned making progress as apposed to holding everyone up, Id say the fact that they are much better trained and educated driving wise has a lot to do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Automan wrote: »
    In general the motorist in England seem to be more concerned making progress as apposed to holding everyone up, Id say the fact that they are much better trained and educated driving wise has a lot to do with this.

+1

Well said, thats exactly how they are. Irish people drive to teach other people lessons, have a race, have a fight, beep, flash lights etc. The rest of europe are just concerned with getting there safely and in a reasonable amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Automan you have hit the nail on the head! British drivers have it drummed into them that they should stay in the left lanes unless overtaking. Here people seem to think that they can drive in any damn lane they want! Yesterday I was driving south on the M50 from Sandyford to Wicklow. A woman was sat in the outside lane at 100KPH when the inside lane was totally clear and the limit was 120KPH. Perfect road conditions & visibility. There is (and never will be) no excuse for her driving behaviour. She should have been in the left lane. Several drivers had to undertake in order to make progress - illegal and dangerous. What else were they to do? Stay behind her on a perfectly clear motorway because she was too damn selfish to move into the left lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

All the anti-speed rhetoric spouted by press, government etc. makes some people think they are part of the moral majority and are fully within their rights to drive WELL below the legal limit (even if 90% of road users want to bring it RIGHT UP to the speed allowed). I had a blazing row with someone who bragged about 'boxing in' a 'speeding' driver in a Bimmer on the Naas road:rolleyes:...

Also, I can live with being held up by an elderly person or an obviously nervous driver. But when I see a youngish guy (in 30s or even 40s) driving unnaturally slow and holding me up it REALLY annoys me. And when I get stuck behind a horsebox and finally find a place to overtake safely, only to discover from my rear-view mirror that the reason they are driving at 28mph is because they are having a deep conversation on their mobile (glued to their ear) it REALLY, REALLY P155E5 ME OFF!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

pburns wrote: »
    All the anti-speed rhetoric spouted by press, government etc. makes some people think they are part of the moral majority and are fully within their rights to drive WELL below the legal limit (even if 90% of road users want to bring it RIGHT UP to the speed allowed). I had a blazing row with someone who bragged about 'boxing in' a 'speeding' driver in a Bimmer on the Naas road:rolleyes:...

Also, I can live with being held up by an elderly person or an obviously nervous driver. But when I see a youngish guy (in 30s or even 40s) driving unnaturally slow and holding me up it REALLY annoys me. And when I get stuck behind a horsebox and finally find a place to overtake safely, only to discover from my rear-view mirror that the reason they are driving at 28mph is because they are having a deep conversation on their mobile (glued to their ear) it REALLY, REALLY P155E5 ME OFF!!!!

Deep breaths....Now relax.
    Good lad.

You sound like an accident or a heart attack waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Actually, Milltown, the eejit with a phone glued to their ear is the accident looking for a place to happen - and driving illlegally too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

pburns wrote: »
    All the anti-speed rhetoric spouted by press, government etc. makes some people think they are part of the moral majority and are fully within their rights to drive WELL below the legal limit (even if 90% of road users want to bring it RIGHT UP to the speed allowed).

It's one thing is someone is driving dangerously slow, but what 90% of road users want shouldn't be of concern to the single driver as long as they're following the rules of the road.

It strikes me that some people in this thread think hitting the speed limit is their right as a driver and anyone stopping them from achieving this should get out of their way no matter what.

As for people in Ireland not using the right-hand lane on a Motorway as they should; the fact that it's referred to by most people as the fast lane rather than the overtaking lane says it all really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement