Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a Mazda RX-8

Options
  • 10-03-2008 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I want to get myself an 04/05 Mazda RX-8 from the UK before the 1st of July. - for arguments sake lets say in May.

Now before I start browsing I need a bit of clarification on this whole new Tax & VRT regime which I previously thought I understood perfectly but now am not so sure about.

From my understanding of the whole new emissions based Tax & VRT regime; as long as I import it and VRT before July - theoretically I will be paying VRT on the current rates and more importantly I will be able to tax it based on engine size (1800cc) as opposed to Co2(€2000/yr) ?

Now I thought I understood it 100% but now it seems like they don't know if their going left or right with this so am not so confident in my knowledege.

To add to my confusion, I read a quote from a post saying :

"Only 08 cars will have road tax on emissions(and pre 08 imports that are above 225 g/km will too)"

But that's only if you import it after July - if you import before July it will be CC based ... right???

The reason I ask is because I'd be happy to pay the 1.8cc tax (which is what i should be paying if I import before July) but not so happy to pay €2000/yr Co2 tax.

So my first main question is - Can somebody confirm that if I import before July I will definitely be paying CURRENT CC Engine Size TAX Rates??? :confused:

My second question:

What is the likelyhood for this to change . ie. that I wont be able to VRT & Taxit on current rates come May?

And my third question - another MAJOR concern:

If i was to VRT it and Tax it based on cc, what would be the risk of them changing their mind and turning around further down the line (say, next year) and saying that at the next tax renewal it will have to be taxed on Co2 . - which could leave me with a very costly car to tax as opposed to current rates - that I imagine would also be very hard to sell on.

With this stupid government you can never feel certain about anything ... i just have a underlying feeling that a year down the line they'll turn around and say "ok your 1.8CC tax expired ... now we're gonna screw you and in a bid to get more money from you we're basing your tax on Co2 so please cough up €2000!!"

Any clarification on this matter would be greatly appreciated :)

I really need to know before I start browsing through autotrader.co.uk and Pistonheads ... all this uncertainty is definitely making me very hesitant! :(

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I can't confirm, but from a legal standpoint if there wasn't a CO2 rating on the VLC, I imagine you're pretty much guaranteed to stay on the 1.8 rate. BUT if there is a CO2 rating, I imagine that at some stage, some government will turn around and say it should be taxed based on the VLC CO2 if it has a rating....which realistically should be done now, but is too difficult to introduce all at once with public service contract agreements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

C_Breeze, if you import now I don't see how they can't retrospectively shaft you.

There are probably lots of people importing planet busting cars now in order to get them in before July.

That said, they could decide to up the tax on all 225g+ cars to raise revenue as we're heading for a €3 billion deficit at the current rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

I don't want to alarm you but, is the RX-8 taxed as a 2.5?? because it is a rotary engine, or (hopefully) I am mistaken. ????

As for shafting, legally if you import a car under the "current" laws, that will stand in future. The gov cannot change the laws like that or elce there will be a revolt !!
    Think of all the cars that will have to change. I know the gov want to reclaim tax but they cannot go back and reclaim "backtax". If that were the case, we should all get out the check books and start writing.....NOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

AFAIK you won't have to once its imported and taxed/ncted before july i can see no reason why you can't abuse the loophole :confused:

as for the vrt-tax change.... dont hold you breath for long as the government are bound to increase all tax's

if vrt changes it wont really effect you as the rx-8 is a 700 cc x 2 or 1300 cc ( 1308 to be percise ) but still , vrt on most cars that engine size is under a 1000 but if you can afford a rx-8 should it really concern you ??

but the main this is , all you can do is feel sorry for the turbo rx-7's which have the same emmission rates as say a range rover i belive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Thanks for the replies, only got a chance to read them now as i was away at the '08 Geneva Motor Show :D

JHMEG , fair point , which is exactly what got me thinking about this in the first place. As i said, this govt doesnt exactly fill you with the greatest of cofidence.

Cashmini1, its taxed as a 1.8 and insured as a 2.6 even though the actual cubic capacity is exactly 654cc x 2(rotors) = 1308cc :rolleyes: Just another perfect example of this government not being able to stick by the rules they make (taxing on engine size) ... picking figures out of the air and charging what they like, and bending rules to make more money off us - typical :rolleyes:

SIR, Its more the road tax aspect I am interested in as opposed to just VRT. If I have the money to spend on an RX-8 is neither here nor there ..... Firstly i've a budget of around €25k ..... so rather than spend it on a fabulously reasonable new mondeo or something mundane - i prefer to get something used that gives me more bang for buck! Also the tax bracket this car falls under or will fall under could theoretically ruin any re-sale value - which is a big concern.. afterall who wants to spend €2000 per year tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Hi, I used to have one and can say that it is taxed as a 1.8 and insured as a 2.7. They are a great car...really lots of fun and fast if driven correctly but has no get up and go at low revs (low torque) but at high revs its a rocket. Steering breaks and comfot are top notch. It also has a limited slip differential which really helps.

Dont listen about the oil....yes it need checking like and higher performance car but its no excessive.

Beware to flooding issue, happened me once.

The fuel costs are something else really.....around town you might as well through cups of petrol out the window, I thought this would not bother me, you know why buy it so....but after a while its does get tiresome.

Still I would have another one just not as my everyday car.....wish you luck

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

cashmni1 wrote: »
    I don't want to alarm you but, is the RX-8 taxed as a 2.5?? because it is a rotary engine, or (hopefully) I am mistaken. ????

QUOTE]

You are mistaken, it's taxed as a 1.8 (i.e. around €505/Year)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Sorry for jumpin on the end of this thread but this is freaky lads. I was planning on going to UK to get one of these in the next month or so. I was initially going to buy a Hyundai Coupe around 05 or so but the favourable sterling rate and the uk prices has kinda brought these into reach for me. Plus a lot of people are saying the Coupes are kinda girly. I'd agree for the pre 05 but the one's with the newer headlights and the more aggressive front grille are the shizzle IMHO.

Anyway does anyone have a any idea what the VRT would be say on a 04/05 Mazda RX-8. The poxy VRT calculator thingy doens't seem to work for RX-8's :rolleyes: I'd guestimate the OMSP would be in the region of 22500-25000k. I know the valulations can be wildy out so anyone who has done this resently.... advice would be much appreciated.

Also any suggestions for sports cars in the UK in that price range would be much appreciated. I'm itchin to get one before this emission b*llox comes in on the VRT in July.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JHet wrote: »
    The poxy VRT calculator thingy doens't seem to work for RX-8's :rolleyes:

It works, but you have to fill in the details correctly :p

Anyway - here's the good news for ya. Details taken for the 231BHP '04 and '05 cars with 50,000 miles on them:

OMSP '04 €18.3k
    OMSP '05 €21.5k
    STATISTICAL CODE: 40387395
    MAKE: MAZDA
    MODEL: RX-8
    VERSION: 231BHP 04DR / SPORTS COUPE (NON-CONVERTIBLE) / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 50000 MILES

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): JANUARY 2004
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €18347
    RATE OF TAX: 25.0%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €4586
    STATISTICAL CODE: 40387395
    MAKE: MAZDA
    MODEL: RX-8
    VERSION: 231BHP 04DR / SPORTS COUPE (NON-CONVERTIBLE) / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 50000 MILES

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): JANUARY 2005
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €21563
    RATE OF TAX: 25.0%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €5390

unkel wrote: »
    It works, but you have to fill in the details correctly :p

Anyway - here's the good news for ya. Details taken for the 231BHP '04 and '05 cars with 50,000 miles on them:

OMSP '04 €18.3k
    OMSP '05 €21.5k

You are a frickin legend man. How did you get it workin. Undervalued by all accounts. Sweet!!!!

EDIT: Its ok. Got it workin. Wasn't puttin in saloon cos of the 4 doors thingy. I'm an ejet. Thanks again man.

• Advertisement

JHet wrote: »
    Also any suggestions for sports cars in the UK in that price range would be much appreciated. I'm itchin to get one before this emission b*llox comes in on the VRT in July.

Thanks

S2000 and the higher power 1.8 Audi TT are in a similar boat to the RX-8: ie smaller engines, but very high CO2, and €2000 road tax.

Personally I'd be looking at the S2000... I'd say there are no more than 20 in the country.

JHMEG wrote: »
    S2000 and the higher power 1.8 Audi TT are in a similar boat to the RX-8: ie smaller engines, but very high CO2, and €2000 road tax.

Personally I'd be looking at the S2000... I'd say there are no more than 20 in the country.

Yeah the S2000 would be an interesting one alright. You've given something me something to think about there. Probably a lot easier on juice than the RX-8, its biggest downfall IMO.

I'm really startin to get worried about resale value of these type of cars. The situation seems somewhat ambiguos. You just never know what the government might turn round and do next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

An S2000 wasn't exactly noted for it's fuel consumption either. It's also in the top VRT band post July too, and the Mazda would be a cheaper car to tax(though the Mazda loves oil and is prone to the engine flooding too) because tax is still being done on engine size for anything that's not a 08.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

JHMEG wrote: »

Tut Tut, read the posts ;).............tax NOT going to 2k, all as-is on the cc basis for any pre-08 cars.

Carry on............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Sorry, my bad about the tax.
    E92 wrote: »
    An S2000 wasn't exactly noted for it's fuel consumption either. It's also in the top VRT band post July too, and the Mazda would be a cheaper car to tax(though the Mazda loves oil and is prone to the engine flooding too) because tax is still being done on engine size for anything that's not a 08.
    S2000 would be a bit better than the 231PS RX-8 on the juice. It's down as 28mpg vs 24mpg.

The tax difference wouldn't be a dealbreaker it's so small: €60 a year.

The S2000's engine is bomb proof, it's all round a quicker car, and would probably hold its value a bit better too, due the the rarity aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Why on earth would you compare a 2 seater , 4 pot roadster with a 4 door, 4 seater , twin rotary coupé?

... the €60 certainly wouldnt be a deal breaker ... but the lack of seats and horrible interior would :o

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Why on earth would you compare a 2 seater , 4 pot roadster with a 4 door, 4 seater , twin rotary coupé?

... the €60 certainly wouldnt be a deal breaker ... but the lack of seats and horrible interior would :o

That was aimed at JHet..

Interior is priority number 99 in a car like this imo.

Advertisement