Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A question for all valet people out there

Options
  • 10-03-2008 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

I recently set up a car valet service. So far it's going ok but i'm sick of payin huge amounts of €€'s for small bottles of things like STP interior and exterior polish and wax.

Also my buffer has decided to die after two years of casually waxing my own car (just as business takes off) so i'm in the market for a good supplier for things like
    Lambs wool mits,New buffer, bulk quantities of consumables (polish, shampoo etc)

Can anybody advise me on where to go?
    or who to see?
    All advice/ suggestions would be appreciated no matter how crazy
    (yes i googled and snooped around boards all night researching)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Team PR Reilly are based in the Eastway Business Park in Limerick, I'd say they'd have a rep for Meath that could call in to you and give you the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

tried googling all of it but to no joy. Just mainly job vacancies. Do you know their website?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

congo_90 wrote: »
    tried googling all of it but to no joy. Just mainly job vacancies. Do you know their website?

http://www.prreilly.ie/

Thanks!
    will re-post in a week or so with end results unless more ideas/suggestions come through. either way... watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wahey70

hi there is a supplier in swords its called auto glym there on the forest road they supply all the cleaning side of things and its amazing have used it for atleast ten years now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

wahey70 wrote: »
    hi there is a supplier in swords its called auto glym there on the forest road they supply all the cleaning side of things and its amazing have used it for atleast ten years now

+1

Autoglym was what I used when I worked in a Valeters. Ur man came out in a van to supply, he was good for advice too etc and the product was the best available at the time.

You'd be robbed buying that stuff outa Halfords.

I heard good things about meguiars products. I'm trying to avoid the turtle because from experience it never worked out.
    This supplier in swords, Are they value for money?
    @ferris. you mentioned they deliver the eq?
    this is pretty handy. Halfords is last resort only.
    Thanks guys i'll be in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You could try this crowd:

http://www.smartcarcare.ie/catalog/

BTW I haven't used them myself yet and I have no association with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

we have a guy from Autoglym that comes around in a van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Autoglym stuff is reasonably good.

• Advertisement

so far the majority of posters are saying autoglym.

I got a PM there from somebody who was mentioning other brands like "Cartec" and "Carlac" also several other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

The trick with the buffer is to get one designed for daily use. Get a good brand and not a generic one. The one from Reillys is brutal and overheats, so steer clear.

I use a Makita 9227CB on a daily basis and it's great - I would recommend. It costs about £150 (230euro ish) for a 240V but you can grab a 110V (you should be using 110V around water anyway) for about €150!

What kind of valet do you do? A quick €8 wash or proper polish/wax?

Seperate wrote: »
    The trick with the buffer is to get one designed for daily use. Get a good brand and not a generic one. The one from Reillys is brutal and overheats, so steer clear.

I use a Makita 9227CB on a daily basis and it's great - I would recommend. It costs about £150 (230euro ish) for a 240V but you can grab a 110V (you should be using 110V around water anyway) for about €150!

What kind of valet do you do? A quick €8 wash or proper polish/wax?

A proper polish wax job (inside and out). so far I have to keep it small time because school is kind of in the way for two more months. Prices start at €80 lol not the €8 end. I wouldn't bother with real cheap type valet for a while. seems how at the very least we're talking 2 and a half-3hours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I also used the Auto Glym guy in Swords. There were two brothers running it, cant recall their name...........I think they trade as "Jaycare Systems".

Excellent products & prices.

You caould also try Crystal Agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

congo_90 wrote: »
    A proper polish wax job (inside and out). so far I have to keep it small time because school is kind of in the way for two more months. Prices start at €80 lol not the €8 end. I wouldn't bother with real cheap type valet for a while. seems how at the very least we're talking 2 and a half-3hours

Well to get the best rates you'd need to be investing in 20-25 litre bottles. Autoglym is more of a semi-enthusiast brand. For valet you should check out Concept Chemicals - although depending on the types of car you're doing, they may be a bit harsh. I can get 5 gallon (18 litres) of Poorboys Wheel Cleaner/Shampoo/Polish/All purpose etc if you want to try that stuff.

Stay well clear of the cheap ones, they make no money!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

Carbrite are a proper valet product supplier.

Seperate wrote: »
    I can get 5 gallon (18 litres) of Poorboys Wheel Cleaner/Shampoo/Polish/All purpose etc if you want to try that stuff.

Stay well clear of the cheap ones, they make no money!

Can you PM me prices of it also what your source is?

MarkN wrote: »
    Carbrite are a proper valet product supplier.

Any body here ever hear of a company called "Carteck"?? I'm currently emailing a Dealer in the meath area who is saying this is good and the best is "Carlack"

Also while this thread is still going... anybody who is in the business want to share some tricks of the trade/tips? I'm not asking for your little secret ways jus best methods for things like drying, cleaning the car. My old time fav for amateur cleaning was using a squegee on the body (soft type) until one day i damaged the paint on a friends car about two years ago (oops) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Crosshair

I'd try concept gear, most motor factors stock it and it wont cost the earth, you can buy 5L containers of fabric cleaner, glass cleaner, pvc sheen, tyre dressing, alloy cleaner etc etc for between about €15 and €40 per 5l depending on the chemical, forget about anything smaller in qty. than this as per valet the cost will be too high.

Advertisement