Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cousins to play this year? [Update - Signs for Richmond 16/12/08]

• 10-03-2008 2:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=326983
    Demetriou says Cousins could play this year

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has thrown his support behind Ben Cousins making a return to football in 2008.

The former West Coast captain was deregistered for 12 months by the AFL late last year for bringing the game into disrepute.

But the ban does not apply to lower grade competitions.

Cousins, who continues to undergo drug rehabilitation, met with former Eagles coach and current Collingwood boss Mick Malthouse last week, raising speculation he could play for the Magpies' new VFL team some time this season.

"If he plays football this year, it would probably be a good thing for him at some level, whether it's state-based or even local," Demetriou said on Sunday.

"That's his trade and that's what he needs to ply.

"It gives him much more chance of coming back if he's playing football."

The AFL Commission and the league's medical team continue to monitor Cousins' progress.

"He's got a huge task in front of him but he's doing his best to try and deal with his illness," said Demetriou.

"The AFL Commission set down a process at the end of last year when he was suspended for 12 months that it would review his progress at the end of the 12 months and see if he is ready to play AFL football again, both medically and from his own perspective.

"We'll review that at the appropriate time."

Cousins, 29, finally admitted in public to a drug problem last month during a media conference for controversial boxer Anthony Mundine's "KO to Drugs" campaign.

At the time he also said it was unlikely he would play competitive football this year.

"I'm not sure how I'm going to feel until probably the (AFL) games start," said Cousins.

"I'd like to think at some point during the year I would like to at least train with a WAFL side or a VFL side just to see how the body ticks over, if I thought that's what I wanted to do next year."

Cousins is a six-time All Australian and the 2005 Brownlow medallist.

Personally I think he should be allowed back at a level lower than AFL this year and see how it goes. I'll be absolutely devastated to see him in any guernsey other than a West Coast one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

He might at a much lower level, but he sure needs to sort his life out first. West Coast has had a lot of flak over the drug culture in the club. I will grant he is a good player, but he is a crap role model and needs a lot of help long term to deal with his demons. A few weeks in an LA clinic isn't going to fix his problem overnight unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Last thing I read was that he might be going to Collinwood next year. That would be interesting. Judd and Cousins on Victorian teams. He should not go back to the eagles if he wants to stay clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Larianne wrote: »
    Last thing I read was that he might be going to Collinwood next year. That would be interesting. Judd and Cousins on Victorian teams. He should not go back to the eagles if he wants to stay clean.

Blasphemy! Such comments have no place in this here forum!

In all seriousness though, I'd rather he didn't play again than see him in another team's guernsey.

So Ben was in Melbourne today having a friendly chat with Pies coach Mick Malthouse. Apparently they talked about everything EXCEPT football. Yeah, good one :rolleyes:

So Ben's back in Perth and kicking some footy. I'll be trying to get to a WAFL game should he start playing competitively.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=608873
    Cousins struts his stuff with Perth

By Justin Chadwick 21:12 AEST Mon Aug 4 2008

Fallen AFL star Ben Cousins has started the long road back to redemption, training with WAFL club Perth at Lathlain Park on Monday night.

Perth coach Simon Eastaugh said Cousins, who is serving a 12-month AFL suspension for bringing the game into disrepute, had committed to training with the WAFL outfit three nights a week as the former Eagles skipper bids to keep his AFL career alive.

"I see it as a real positive for our playing group and our club to have somebody of Ben's standard as a footballer to set an example on the training track and it's great for our young players coming through," Eastaugh said.

"Ben really wants to be a part of the playing group, he really wants to get back into the club environment and wants to see where he's at from a footballing perspective.

"From meetings with Ben, I've been really impressed by what he wanted to do and what he wanted to achieve by being with us."

Cousins was mobbed by a throng of media when he arrived at training shortly before 5pm local time, saying "it feels normal" when asked what it felt like to be back.

Cousins, who was sacked by West Coast last year amid his battle with drug addiction, registered with VFL club Port Melbourne last June in his bid to qualify for November's national draft.

But Cousins must first satisfy the AFL Commission that he is over the drug-related issues that led to his sacking from West Coast in the first place before he can resume his 238-game career.

The 30-year-old recently met with independent doctors in Melbourne to get an assessment of his condition and is expected to front the AFL Commission in October.

Eastaugh said the 31-year-old was in good shape to launch an AFL return.

"You see the condition he's in currently, he's well and truly preparing himself," Eastaugh said.

"He's an absolute professional and he was always classified as one of the best trainers at West Coast and it's the kind of workmanlike mentality he has that will set him up well and truly for next year."

Cousins moved sharply throughout the light 50-minute hit-out, watched by more than 100 curious onlookers.

The 2005 Brownlow Medallist ran freely and showed he had lost none of the sublime skills that earned him six All-Australian jumpers and four best and fairest awards at West Coast.

Cousins' father Bryan was a champion of Perth Demons, playing 240 games with the club between 1970 and 1987.

I still harbour a small bit of ridiculous hope that the Eagles will take him back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So Ben's back in Perth and kicking some footy. I'll be trying to get to a WAFL game should he start playing competitively.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=608873

I still harbour a small bit of ridiculous hope that the Eagles will take him back!

me too xavi, me too! dont know what it would do to the club tho, some fans would spit on the decision, whereas others would welcome him back with open arms. I'd be slightly undecided myself, given that he is 30/31 (the article seems a bit mixed up on this!!!) and haven been off for a year already, I dont htink we'd have the same cousins back.

But, he wasnt a brwnlow meadlist for nothing, and in an area where we really need to improve, he'd be a huge addition. Media attention would be back on, and I dont think he'd be stupid enough to do anything again (altho I have said that a few times about cousins)

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=108692
    Cousins given green light to rejoin AFL

18th November 2008, 12:00 WST

Former West Coast Eagle Ben Cousins has been given the green light to resume his AFL career after serving a 12 month suspension for bringing the game into disrepute.

The AFL announced their decision after a two day meeting in Sydney a short time ago. The Brownlow medallist is likely to enter the December 16 pre-season draft, with St Kilda and Brisbane identified as the front runners to secure the 238 game veteran's services for 2009.

In a media statement, St Kilda said the club was pleased to hear that Cousins has been given the all-clear to resume his career.

“The club will continue to follow its process of due diligence on the matter and will not be making any further comment at this time,” the statement said.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said Cousins would be subject to a number of stringent conditions.

He would be subject to urine testing three times a week, hair drug testing four times a year and he would have to co-operate with any other requests for testing.

Cousins would also have to consult and co-operate with the AFL’s medical team, and undergo any drug rehabilitation programs at their discretion.

Mr Demetriou said should Cousins be found to have any illicit drugs in his system, fail to complete a drug test or fail to comply with any other conditions, he could be suspended from football immediately.

AFL Commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick announced the decision before Mr Demetriou elaborated on conditions under which Cousins would be allowed to re-enter the league.

The conditions include urine testing up to three times a week and hair testing up to four times a year.

“The results of these tests will be advised to the AFL or the AFL medical officers and they will disclose these results to any AFL personnel they think appropriate,” Mr Demetriou said.

“In relation to the testing … Ben Cousins co-operate fully with any requests to provide a sample for testing, co-operate fully with any instruction or direction in relation to the provision of such sample. Ben Cousins must not fail to provide a sample immediately upon request, delay, hinder or obstruct the sample, or tamper with any sample.

“Ben Cousins must consult and co-operate with the AFL medical officers and attend any drug rehabilitation program or medical expert nominated by Ben.

“Should any illicit drug or any case of illicit drug be detected in a sample should Ben Cousins fail to complete a drug test, should Ben Cousins fail to comply with any instruction or direction of the AFL medical officers, or should Ben Cousins fail to comply with any of these other conditions the general manager of football operations or the AFL Commission may deal with the matter in such a manner as the general manager of football operations or commission in their absolute discretion sees fit and within their power they may immediately suspend Cousins from playing AFL football pending the outcome of any investigation and or hearing.”

The AFL Player’s Association released a statement saying it had serious concerns that the AFL Commission’s resolution regarding Cousins was inconsistent with the terms of the AFL Illicit Drugs Policy.

It questioned the strength of the Illicit Drugs Policy’s ability to deal with Cousins’ circumstances without the need for additional conditions being imposed.

“The AFL Players’ Association notes that the terms of the Illicit Drugs Policy can only be varied with the consent of both the AFL and the AFL Players’ Association,” it read.

AFLPA said it was not consulted in relation to any policy departures.

The Association will now seek urgent advice from the AFL Medical Officers and liaise with Cousins and his representatives on the issue before it forms a response.

The Eagles released a statement welcoming the AFL Commission's decision to allow Cousins to re-register.

“This is an important decision for Ben and we will continue to support Ben's return to the AFL,” West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett said.

“Ben will always be a great champion of our club and the West Coast Eagles wish him well with his future endeavours.”

Gonna be interesting to see who he signs for. A small bit of me still hopes to see him back in the blue and yellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Was chatting to my mate last night and he'd seen a report saying Cousins had said that he may decide to not come back as the proposed drugs tests would be too stringent and frequent!

Dunno if this is true or not, but he can't exactly afford to be picky can he? I mean if this is what the AFL proposes, he's kinda got to roll with it!

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=4&ContentID=110147
    Cousins nominates for draft

26th November 2008, 12:30 WST

Fallen West Coast Eagle Ben Cousins has nominated for Saturday’s AFL national draft.

The AFL confirmed Cousins’ nomination, revealed on thewest.com.au, a short time ago.

But Cousins' hopes of a comeback from a 12 month suspension for bringing the game into disrepute were dealt a blow when St Kilda announced they would not recruit the Brownlow medallist.

The Brisbane Lions are the only other club to publicly state that they would consider hiring the 31-year-old.

Cousins said he saw nominating for both the national draft and the December 16 pre-season draft as an important step in his rehabilitation process.

“I hope to get the opportunity to return to the game that I love,” he said.

“Playing football at the highest level again is an important part of my ongoing rehabilitation and I believe that I can be a valuable contributor at an AFL club.”

Cousins played 238 games for the Eagles before he was sacked following a string of off-field dramas, including his high-profile drug addiction.

Can't believe he wasn't picked up by the Saints. Hopefully something gets sorted at the weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I wonder if he is still sitting on the draft board when it gets near the end, that someone will just throw their lot in an take him. Looks like the Lions have him, but it wouldnt suprise me to see a random club say feck it, its worth a shot. I'd hope its the eagles still!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Looks like the Lions don't want him either, although they haven't ruled it out completely.

Linky

Lions knock back Cousins, for now
    AAP16:00 AEST Wed Nov 26 2008

Ben Cousins appears set to miss out on selection on Saturday's AFL national draft after the Brisbane Lions announced they would not select him.

But the Lions have not ruled out picking up Cousins in next month's pre-season draft after continuing their due diligence process assessing the troubled midfielder.

In a statement released on Wednesday, the Lions said they would continue to consider drafting the 2005 Brownlow Medallist if they retain a vacancy on their playing list for the December 16 pre-season draft.

The club, which appears the only team in the running for Cousins' services following St Kilda's withdrawal on Tuesday night, said it would make no further comment about the issue.

The news comes after the AFL confirmed Cousins had put his name forward for consideration in the national draft as he seeks to rebuild his career following drugs problems and a 12-month ban for bringing the sport into disrepute.

Cousins has not played since late 2007 after he was sacked by former club West Coast, and Cousins later confessed to battling drug addiction.

Cousins received permission from the league last week to renew his AFL career and was given until Wednesday to decide whether to nominate for the national draft.

The Lions have consistently said the door wasn't shut on signing the former West Coast captain and coach Michael Voss and football manager Graeme Allan flew to Perth on the weekend to speak to him.

Cousins said he saw nominating for both drafts as an important step in his rehabilitation process.

"I hope to get the opportunity to return to the game that I love," he said in a statement.

"Playing football at the highest level again is an important part of my ongoing rehabilitation and I believe that I can be a valuable contributor at an AFL club."

Cousins would have to be picked up in either the national draft or the pre-season draft on December 16 to resume his AFL career, otherwise he would be unable to play top-level Australian football in 2009.

Curtains for Cousins

1st December 2008, 8:15 WST

Ben Cousins' 238-gme AFL career is over. As expected, the former West Coast captain and Brownlow medallist was overlooked in Saturday's national draft and will be ignored in the December 16 pre-season draft, his last avenue to elite football in 2009.

Of the six clubs active in the pre-season draft, Port Adelaide (Josh Carr) and Carlton (Chris Johnson) are already committed to other players.

Melbourne, Essendon and Richmond yesterday ruled self-confessed Cousins out, as did Brisbane late last week.

:(

not over just yet xavi. Richmond are now looking at the possibility of drafting Cousins in next weeks rookie draft.

He's wanted by the Western Force to play Super 14!

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=113084
    Force want Cousins

13th December 2008, 9:00 WST

The Force are confident Cousins, who turns 31 in June, has the necessary athletic skills to make a successful transition to rugby and have already raised the matter with Australian Rugby Union boss John O’Neill.

“If he doesn’t find a home in the AFL next week, there might be a stable for him here,” Force chief executive Greg Harris said yesterday.

Harris instigated the audacious plan because he also made a successful transition from AFL to rugby in the 1970s. He was captain-coach of NSW in football before progressing from NSW first grade rugby to represent a combined Sydney team.

He said Cousins possessed rare athletic ability and could be a worthy addition to rugby’s talent pool.

“He can run all day, kick a mile and has the best hands you’ve seen,” said Harris, former head of the Sydney Swans match committee.

“It’s not hard to imagine him at full-back because many footy skills are transferable to rugby. And, by rugby standards, he hasn’t had too much of a physical battering over his career.”

Harris acknowledged rugby would have to conduct the same risk assessment as AFL clubs on the 2005 Brownlow medallist, a recovering drug addict.

Rugby’s drug testing regime is as strict as that for Olympic sports. Priority is given to random testing of urine and blood, both in and out of competition.

The standard punishment for a first positive test for a banned substance, be it recreational or performance enhancing, is a two-year suspension, with a lifetime ban for a second.

Cousins has been linked to Richmond in the draft but if nothing eventuates, the Force expect to hear from his manager, Ricky Nixon.

“He’d have to start on a rookie contract so there won’t be much money in it at first but at least it will give him a continuing career in sport,” said Harris, who has canvassed former AFL players about aspects both helpful and hindering to such a radical sporting conversion.

“He can then assess what opportunities exist if he makes the grade. We haven’t made any moves yet because we’re waiting to see the outcome of next week’s draft.

“Who knows? Maybe there’s some interest there. It might be the challenge and change he’s looking for to get his life back on track.”

All players with Australia’s four Super 14 clubs are contracted by the ARU, whose cooperation would be needed to recruit Cousins.

“I ran the possibility past John O’Neill a few days ago and suggested he seriously consider it,” said Harris. “There’s no reason an athlete of Ben’s calibre couldn’t make it in rugby.”

The Force feel Cousins has the necessary speed and agility to go with his proven endurance and kicking and catching ability.

Attack is often a matter of instinct and opportunism but significant effort would have to go into defensive technique and tactics, the aspect of the code which causes most difficulty for rugby league converts.

That really would be unbelievable

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=113391
    Cousins back in AFL with Tigers

16th December 2008, 8:15 WST

Ben Cousins is back in the AFL after Richmond picked up the former West Coast champion in today's pre-season draft.

Richmond made a last-minute decision to recruit the recovering drug addict using their sole pick despite last night all but ruling out taking the troubled Brownlow medallist after their appeal for a second pre-season draft selection was refused by the AFL Commission.

Last night Cousins' supporters bombarded Melbourne talkback radio with angry calls desperate to get the Tigers to drop their youth policy and recruit him in the draft.

One of Cousins' strongest supporters, Gerard Healy, ignited the talkback barrage, warning that Richmond's board could “self destruct” if they missed the opportunity to pick him.

“The downside to taking him is so minimal it is virtually non-existent,” he said. “The excitement of getting him has the capacity to relaunch this club.

The 30-year-old has not played since late 2007.

He was sacked by West Coast at the end of that year, confessed to substance abuse, and was hit with a 12-month ban by the AFL for bringing the game into disrepute.

The decision represents a remarkable backflip in the space of a month for the Tigers, who had emphatically ruled out drafting Cousins once he became available when the AFL gave him the green light to play in November.

Both Collingwood and St Kilda expressed serious interest in Cousins but after months of courting him, decided not to proceed.

Brisbane also flirted with the idea of taking Cousins ahead of the national draft a fortnight ago, but also decided to shun him.

Richmond’s interest was only made public last week, when Sheedy was believed to have been instrumental in convincing the Tigers and coach Terry Wallace to give him a second chance.

The Tigers’ decision to salvage Cousins’ career provides a mouth-watering round one clash next season between two former West Coast superstars, with Chris Judd set to line up for Carlton.

The match will be played at the MCG on March 26.

Other pre-season draft picks saw Port Adelaide take their former premiership midfielder Josh Carr, who was delisted by Fremantle at the end of last season, Essendon opt for ex-Adelaide player Hayden Skipworth and Carlton take West Aussie Chris Johnson, who was delisted by the Demons.

But Melbourne and Brisbane have gone for little-known youngsters - the Demons taking Liam Jurrah and the Lions selecting Murray Bushrangers teen Tom Rockliff.

That leaves ex-Swan Nick Davis and former Melbourne defender Nathan Carroll without AFL clubs for 2009.

Glad he's back in the league. Just a pity it's in the wrong guernsey :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    In all seriousness though, I'd rather he didn't play again than see him in another team's guernsey.
    No more Judd. No more Cousins. Deal with it!

Honestly I'm glad the Tigers picked him up instead of letting his career go down the tubes. He deserves a second crack at it so to speak :D

yeah, I'm glad to see cousins back playing again. It would have been a sad way for such a great career to end in such controversy. At least now he has a chance to regain some pride and show his undoubted footie talent. pity Eagles wouldnt take him back, but good to see him on the field again anyway

BenMAIN2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

That must have been the gut wrenching experience to have to post that picture Xavi.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ybbi

I would expect him to make an immediate impact, his lookin trim for the pic, so good news for the tigers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement