Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bmw 840 1998/99

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There's an 850 going around my estate for years... sooo much nicer than the current 6, which is pretty awful imho. I gather the 6-series is the new 8-series.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I think they are simply stunning looking.

You can pick up some early 90's ones in the UK for 5k(ish).

Manuals are very hard to come by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

two of these around the corner from irishtown gardi station in dublin4 and you see atleast 5 a day in that generally area , couldn't agree more with you lot on the fact that it looks betterthen the 6 serise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

Always wanted to get one but it's nearly impossible to find a manual one. I'm not ready for an automatic car yet :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Cheap to buy, not so cheap to run, even if you DIY your repairs. I was about to sign the papers on an 850i over here than found out that we have a little nipper on the way, so that cancelled that.

The 850CSI will be a classic for sure, well maintained "normal" ones might be, theres still some debate on it. The well maintained ones are getting fewer and fewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,416 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Saw one up close in a car park a few days ago. It was in great condition. Very nice motors indeed. Have stood the test of time well. I believe Gerry Ryan has a couple of them
    Cheap to buy, not so cheap to run

Don't agree on the "not so cheap to run". The V8 models should be mostly trouble free as long as you get the '96 and later M62 engine, not the earlier M60 engine which can have the infamous Nikasil issue

The 850 is a different kettle of fish. Only for the brave with deep pockets

Congrats on the little nipper BTW! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

so a 1998/99 should give (if its a good example) years of relatively trouble free motoring ?
    I started doing some homework on them today. Just looking at how much you could pick one up for. Its a phenominal amount of car for the money. Then again you can get phenominal amount of ferarri, maserati, aston martin for the money around similar vintage.. the thing is ... they will cost you double again to maintain.
    So who here has driven one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Nice car but don't be fooled into thinking you are getting that raw BMW white knuckle ride, you won't. Too big and wallowy (if such a word) will never reach proper classic status. If this is what you want seek out a CS, CSI, or original E24 6 series preferably M or even a low mileage pristine condition original M3 these have a chance off reaching classic status if not already, but the 840/850 never came close, too fat/heavy & soft..

Then again all above is IMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Its the only BMW I ever liked , it looks class even by todays standards.

Prices seem reasonable as well which is a bonus but as allready mentioned huge running costs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

alpina wrote: »
    Nice car but don't be fooled into thinking you are getting that raw BMW white knuckle ride, you won't. Too big and wallowy (if such a word) will never reach proper classic status. If this is what you want seek out a CS, CSI, or original E24 6 series preferably M or even a low mileage pristine condition original M3 these have a chance off reaching classic status if not already, but the 840/850 never came close, too fat/heavy & soft..

Then again all above is IMO...

Nonsense. Any car can reach 'classic car' status. Hell, even shít heaps like the Morris Marina and Allegro have reached classic car status.

I agree with another of the above posters, they were the only BMW I ever really liked. The 850CSi can only be got with a manual 'box as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

Zion wrote: »
    I'm not ready for an automatic car yet :p

did you never wonder why all high end luxury / gt cars come with auto boxes and the low end of the range all have clutch pedals?

unkel wrote: »
    Saw one up close in a car park a few days ago. It was in great condition. Very nice motors indeed. Have stood the test of time well. I believe Gerry Ryan has a couple of them

Don't agree on the "not so cheap to run". The V8 models should be mostly trouble free as long as you get the '96 and later M62 engine, not the earlier M60 engine which can have the infamous Nikasil issue

The 850 is a different kettle of fish. Only for the brave with deep pockets

Congrats on the little nipper BTW! :D

Thanks!

By expensive I mean the parts are pretty heafty. HVAC motor, OBC, MAF's if anything like this goes its much worse than an E38/E32 pricewise, especially if they know its for your 8'! Sure you casn use a MAF from an E32/E38/E39 (depending on your E31 year) on one, but how many people actually know this?

The rule of thumb over here (and agreed with some in the UK too) is that a good e31 will set you back around 15K. You either pay now, or pay later, kinda like the E34 M5. Wspecially as you get towards the 100K mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cheap to buy, not so cheap to run, even if you DIY your repairs. I was about to sign the papers on an 850i over here than found out that we have a little nipper on the way, so that cancelled that.

Why would that cancel it? iirc, both my two as babes, were 'reared' in the back of my TT. (tough life :rolleyes:). So an 8-series should be a push-over, space-wise.......

Then they went to an 87 911, and now trundle around in the 968. All of these have been excellent 'family' cars.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

By expensive I mean the parts are pretty heafty. HVAC motor, OBC, MAF's if anything like this goes its much worse than an E38/E32 pricewise

And (some) parts for an E38/E32 are much worse than your average family car. I'm the first to conceed. But how many parts are you going to need?

The only parts I needed for my 7-series in over 4 years of driving were a drivers window lifting mechanism (cable had broken - wear and tear). It cost the same as in most other cars. And a suspension job that I knew was coming at about 135k miles. It cost a grand including all labour. The car is now 12 years old

A main dealer timing belt job in a 2 year old car much cheaper car could cost the same...
    galwaytt wrote: »
    both my two as babes, were 'reared' in the back of my TT. (tough life :rolleyes:). So an 8-series should be a push-over, space-wise.......

Then they went to an 87 911, and now trundle around in the 968. All of these have been excellent 'family' cars.

Right on! I've a third nipper on the way. Most people in my situation would change their car for an MPV. Like yourself, I went for an old Porsche 2+2 :D

And (some) parts for an E38/E32 are much worse than your average family car. I'm the first to conceed. But how many parts are you going to need?

Well, thats just the thing, it seems that they are more prone to issues than the E38. Subjectivly, from what I know, an E31 will almost definately cost more to run and keep well maintained than an e38.
    Why would that cancel it? iirc, both my two as babes, were 'reared' in the back of my TT. (tough life ). So an 8-series should be a push-over, space-wise.......

I duno if you've driven one yet Galwaytt, but theres nowhere near as much room as you might think in the back. The tt has more room to work with, especially with the getting baby seat in and out part.

Main reservation was guilt, I guess. I insist baby (Found out today its a girl) wants a v12, but mommy isnt so sure :D TBH I dont think i'd ever hear the end of the complaing of how hard it is getting baby in and out. She'd be a hot momma in an e31 tho.

That said, I havnt tried to get a baby seat into the e31, my wife would go nuts I think tho. From that view I was gearing towards E39 540iT. Hmmmm

&^%^k yiz, im lookin at E31's again. (*&£K

/edit, hey unkel, im back for a week in June, if you still have the E38 I could rent it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

So who here has owned one / driven one. I saw some of the guys on the bmw forum rave about it and that its a real drivers car.
    I saw a beautiful wine one 98 on pistonheads. Stunning in that colour.

So who here has owned one / driven one. I saw some of the guys on the bmw forum rave about it and that its a real drivers car.

Meh, sounds like fanboyism.

Dont get me wrong, I love the E31, I think its an awseome car but in terms of being a "drivers" car it pales in comparison to the like of the E30 & E36 M3. Its heavy, slow off the line (gathers momentum at 100+) and not particularly nimble. For its weight (or mass for the pedantics) its a great car, and handles quite well but I don't think id describe it as a driver's car, needs to be more involving to be one IMO. Call a spade a spade as they say.

The 850CSI on the other hand, could be an entirely different kettle of fish, haven't driven any, so I cant comment.

Well, thats just the thing, it seems that they are more prone to issues than the E38

Ah, ok. Wasn't aware of that. Anyway that E39 seems a half decent compromise :D
    hey unkel, im back for a week in June, if you still have the E38 I could rent it :D

My I'll start a limo business :D

Advertisement