Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paying for the pill

Options
  • 10-03-2008 2:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

my missus is on the pill and i've always paid for half of it as the only reason she's on it is for contraception and just thought that was the fairest thing to do (especially in oz where it was pretty expensive). i told this to my buddy who couldn't believe i was paying for half of it, still think i'm right to do it, what do ye the ladies think?? do your fellas give anything towards it??

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

yeah, my OH pays for half of mine and half the doctors visits. Definately only fair. It Cost me a €150.00 euros the last time i went

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

fair play to you, thats brilliant. An ex of mine used do that too, always paid towards cost of doctor visits as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Its not harm but most guys I have gone out with have spent more money on me in other ways so its all evens out. Personally I think they should be free anyway, pain in the bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

generally i pay for the pill & he pays for the condoms. unless 1 of us is broke & goes looking for money from the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Hmm, it is a good idea. Maybe I should suggest this one! If you think about it I have to put all these horrible hormones in my body and then have to fork out €60 a pop..... seems unfair!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

sar84 wrote: »
    generally i pay for the pill & he pays for the condoms. unless 1 of us is broke & goes looking for money from the other.

We usually do the same, I pay for the pill and boyfriend pays for condoms, only fair..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Featherl wrote: »
    We usually do the same, I pay for the pill and boyfriend pays for condoms, only fair..

+1
    He does suggest paying for half but if he's paying for condoms it's only fair. Anyway, when you add it up the condoms pretty much come to in or around the same amount for 6months. Well obviously depends on the amount your using ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭frizzefreckles

This was a sore point between me and my OH as I was always paying for the doc and the pill. One day I snapped and said I thought he should be paying for half. After a while thinking about it he agreed and now pays for the pill every second month

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

you know you dont have to go to the doctor for repeat prescription unless youre having problems? I go to the nurse, she checks my blood pressure, takes the name of my pill and then the doctor will write the prescription, it just generally takes about a day & I have to come back for it. but the nurse costs way less, think it was 10euro, maybe 15, but definitely no more than 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

Deffo only fair if your OH pays half! I was on medical card up to now, so from next month don't have it free anymore :( But my OH is gonna pay half! I always pay half for condoms so.....

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Jesus what prices are your pills?
    Mine was €9 a month, theres noway I'd be chasing anyone for half of that.

Depo provera = €10 plus €50/55 for doctor's visit. You can't give it to yourself!

It is only every three months I suppose but it's the principle really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

well my boyfriend gets away with all those bills for now as im in college and get to see doc for free. but i certainly do believe the guy should pay for doc when you need to go on morning after pill.

You can Watna, i did in college so did all the girls in my house, if you tell a doc you're going away they should be able to give you a supply or a script for a supply.

GinnyJo wrote: »
    You can Watna, i did in college so did all the girls in my house, if you tell a doc you're going away they should be able to give you a supply or a script for a supply.

Really.... very interesting. Are you sure you can inject yourself? Is that not a bit awkward?!

Yup you can, arse or thigh, it is a bit of a mental thing though, some people just can't do it, two of the housemates used to inject each other instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

You shouldn't have to pay for either the pill or condoms. They don't in the uk and we shouldn't here (condoms can be issued on a prescription there).

Yup you can, arse or thigh, it is a bit of a mental thing though, some people just can't do it, two of the housemates used to inject each other instead.

Could be a fun job for the bf!

I'm not scared of needles in the slightest so it could be a plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

My boyfriend never even thought to ask about the pill until it stopped working!!!!!!!!
    Now he doesnt trust it so we use condoms (which im allergic to grrrrrrr) !!!
    He pays for them because i hate them and wont use them!
    Morning after pill had to be aquired of late and i paid for that ... that was bloody expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

She Devil wrote: »
    My boyfriend never even thought to ask about the pill until it stopped working!!!!!!!!
    Morning after pill had to be aquired of late and i paid for that ... that was bloody expensive!

It is latex condoms that you are allergic to. You can get non-latex ones - ask at a decent pharmacy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I have the implant, i have a medical card, so it didnt cost anything.
    If i had to go on the pill, i think it would be only fair he pay for half of it, although its not something i ever even thought of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Femmy wrote: »
    I have the implant, i have a medical card, so it didnt cost anything.
    If i had to go on the pill, i think it would be only fair he pay for half of it, although its not something i ever even thought of!

Depends really. If he is paying for condoms and the sex is regular enough the cost can be largely the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I dunno, it's never come up about it and to be honest I've never thought of that. I was on it before we started going out for myself so it's never bothered me. Thinking about it, it's fair enough though. I hate the whole being in there for 10 mins getting weighed, blood pressure checked & a general "how are you... that's €50 please", so yes I suppose it would be fair to ask him to pay. Then again I'm only ickle and still on mammy and daddys health insurance so they mostly cover it!

My ex always expected me to pay for condoms before I went on the pill, was quite unfair he never bothered and made a point of always "forgetting"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Taking the pill years, never expected any ex to go halves with me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Jesus what prices are your pills?
    Mine was €9 a month, theres noway I'd be chasing anyone for half of that.

Mine breaks down as: -

€55.00 for the Doctor

€95.00 for three months supply of my contraception.

€150 is a lot to pay out in one month

She Devil wrote: »

How does the pill stop working?

If your allergic to the latex in condoms you can get kidney infections...so I'd definitely look into the non-latex.

If your boyfriend is paranoid baout safety would ye not consider using both the pill and condoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

irishbird wrote: »

€55.00 for the Doctor

I agree and I completely empathize. In fact I think that is such a ridiculous price I am willing to offer to pay for any womans contraceptives who pm's me with pic's and a phone number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've never thought to ask my bf to contribute to the cost of the pill. I initially didnt go on it for contraception, I was prescribed it because I kept collapsing every time I got my period and would need 2 days off work. I would feel kinda lousy if I starting billing him €15 every 3 months for my prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

When my missus uses it I go 50/50 with her on it, it's only fair after all.

• Advertisement

irishbird wrote: »

€55.00 for the Doctor

Jaysus, Doc is free for a repeat, he does a check up for it whenever I'm in with something else during the year and doesn't charge, plus my pill was €9 a month, not expensive imo.
    But you buy €95 in one go for 3 months, and can your Doc not(if you're healthy etc...) just do repeats for you?
    ( edit:you should only be paying €90 on any script medication in one month, your pharmacist should sort out a card for you to make sure you're not paying more then this)
    Although I am on medication that would cost upwards of €300 a month anyways so I pay €90 a month every month for medication no matter what.

Advertisement