Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cmoon Courtesy not in the Rules of the Road

Options
  • 10-03-2008 2:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Any things ye guys do which aren't in the rules of the road but you think aides in the functionality of the road system ?

If I see someone coming off a slip road onto a dual carriageway I always tend to pull into the fast lane if I can to allow the other car easier entry to the dual carriage way. A lot of drivers don't do this though.

Anything else ye guys do which isn't mentioned in the rules of the road ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That is mentioned in the rules of the road. It's one of the times you can drive in the overtaking lane.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Any things ye guys do which aren't in the rules of the road but you think aides in the functionality of the road system ?

If I see someone coming off a slip road onto a dual carriageway I always tend to pull into the fast lane if I can to allow the other car easier entry to the dual carriage way. A lot of drivers don't do this though.

Is "fast lane" mentioned in the ROTR?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

kbannon wrote: »
    Is "fast lane" mentioned in the ROTR?

zing!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

There is no such thing as a 'fast lane': It is the right hand lane or the outside lane or lane 2 or lane 3. Similarly, there is no such thing as a 'slow lane' either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

People missing the point!!!

I agree with the op i will always try and do this on a motorway / dual carraige way either try and move to the outside/overtaking/"fast"/right hand lane! if not i will try open a gap in the left hand lane.

If i know somebody is going to change lane i will allow them not speed up so they can't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭rstans

If everybody let one car out of a side road, you don't have to stop just slow enough for one car to fil the gap. Same when cars are trying to turn right, leave a gap and let one go. Car behind does the same and so on. Traffic moves.
    And my pet hate, when a car is trying to park give them the few seconds it will take to park rather than trying to squeeze past only to be stuck in traffic ten yards up the road. This really drives me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Similarly, there is no such thing as a 'slow lane' either.

You're half right. There are plenty of climbing lanes that have the words "slow lane" printed on them. There's one in Leixlip I think. :)

But yeah the whole fast lane/slow lane thing on dual carriageways/mways annoys the hell out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

rstans wrote: »
    If everybody let one car out of a side road, you don't have to stop just slow enough for one car to fil the gap. Same when cars are trying to turn right, leave a gap and let one go. Car behind does the same and so on. Traffic moves.
    And my pet hate, when a car is trying to park give them the few seconds it will take to park rather than trying to squeeze past only to be stuck in traffic ten yards up the road. This really drives me nuts.

If only everyone had this sort of good common sense, life would be alot easier on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

WHITE_P wrote: »
    If only everyone had this sort of good common sense, life would be alot easier on the roads.

Common sense? afraid not much of that in existance any more

Sitting at a round-a-bout traffic standing still on all approaching lanes with no place to go, driver to the left of me enters the R-A-B and then realises nowhere to go, so I press brakes & decide to sit for a minute until space to move on. Car behind me, all mercy full wheel spin/horn blowing/ hand out the window with numerous gestures to move on, overtakes me, shouting and then has to slam on the brakes, nowhere to go..

Common sense, I sat behind that excuse for:confused: a person for the following 20 min, all that fuss for 15 feet, one wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

i do this as well actually. its not that hard to do and probably safer in the long run rather than boxing someone into the hard shoulder. you never know whether or not the merging driver saw you were there and could have a collision. yet so many inconsiderate "drivers" out there refuse to do this :rolleyes:. not that i need their help anyway but still...........

last time i brought this up on another thread i got the head nearly bitten off me so im surprised you have gotten away this long :rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Quick flash of the headlights isn't in ROTR but everyone knows it means 'go ahead'. e.g. to let someone out of a turn or someone facing you turning right.

The old 'flash the hazards once' for a lorry that pulled over to let you pass is also common courtesy, albiet getting less common nowadays.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The simple reality is that of all the people in this country who actually read part of the ROTR, most have forgotten it or else they just don't give a rats ass about other users. I suspect the latter and that its down to a combination of so many other feckwits on the road doing stupid things and also to the fact that traffic has become so much heavier in recent years that driver frustration is rife.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

One thing I've noticed is that if you do slow to let someone out of a side road, you'll sometimes find three or four other cars stuck to their bumper which is taking liberties with your generosity, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

While we're at it can I mention undertaking on motorways at highspeeds.

Anyone who drives on ROI Motorways knows that some people just don't get the idea of using the outside lane for passing. Ok it's frustrating when a slow driver hogs the outside lane but driving up the inside at speed when the unobservant driver could potentially pull in on top of you is nuts. I've seen this happen several times now.

The offenders then seem to think they have an automatic right to squeeze in between you and the car in front if they put their indicator on.

We need lots more Garda on the roads IMO and every driver should have to do some form of re-test every 10 years say - pie in the sky I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Alert on coming traffic to road hazard that I've passed and that they are about to encounter by hand signal or use of hazzard light.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

blastman wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed is that if you do slow to let someone out of a side road, you'll sometimes find three or four other cars stuck to their bumper which is taking liberties with your generosity, I think.
    It's all about timing, I'll let one out and my duty's done. The next one can wait his turn.
    If the car in front of me lets someone out - fair enough. If they let a whole cortiege out then I start to boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

stevec wrote: »
    Quick flash of the headlights isn't in ROTR but everyone knows it means 'go ahead'. e.g. to let someone out of a turn or someone facing you turning right.
    Flashing headlights is dangerous as it sends out confusing signals. It may mean "go ahead" but it can also be a warning signal. If you did that in a driving test you would be penalised.
    stevec wrote:
    The old 'flash the hazards once' for a lorry that pulled over to let you pass is also common courtesy, albiet getting less common nowadays.
    They are called hazzard lights for a reason. They are not "thank you" lights.

In the UK it is (or was?) illegal to activate hazard lights in a moving vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

To turn into my apartments coming from the city you have to cross the white line meaning if there is oncoming traffic you wait for a clear option or if its busy someone will flash you to let you cross in front of them.

the problem is at rush hour, just outside the entrance on the main road the road divides into two lanes, one lane goes straight on and the other is a lane to cross the white line onto another side road, invariably there are long queues at the lane, so if you drive along the opposite direction and wish to cross over you have to slow and stop, indicate and wait for someone to give you the space, thats the problem people are unwilling to let you cross over as they wish to stay bumper to bumper in the Queue with the result being both sides of the road are clogged up!

Apoligies if the situation is difficult to understand, its the Curraheen road in Bishopstown in Cork where the turn off is to take the road onto the N71 methinks from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

Two-second rule, anyone? I try to keep to that, but there's very fine line between "staying back" and letting the dick 10-foot behind you think he has a chance to nip in and have you move back even more...

The N2 north of Ashbourne is bad for that.

Flashing headlights is dangerous as it sends out confusing signals. It may mean "go ahead" but it can also be a warning signal. If you did that in a driving test you would be penalised.

In the UK it is (or was?) illegal to activate hazard lights in a moving vehicle.

These comments are totally contradictory to a common sense approach to driving.

Using signals aids efficient driving when used appropiately. If we all drove like robots to the letter of the law there would be permanent grid lock.

I used to live in the UK and most drivers there use and understand flashing the hazard lights. This minor and safe acknowledgement encourages people to be courteous.

• Advertisement

Yes, you are technically correct. If I was in crawling traffic and there was a right turning car facing me, I dont think they'd interpret the flash as "warning" though.
    Again I don't think it is mis-interpreted.
    And?
    Its illegal to keep weasels in your pants whilst climbing a ladder in Alabama.

rigal wrote: »
    These comments are totally contradictory to a common sense approach to driving.

Using signals aids efficient driving when used appropiately. If we all drove like robots to the letter of the law there would be permanent grid lock
    The problem is that they are not usually used appropriately.

Many who gesture to other motorists don't ensure that it is safe for that motorist to cross. You flash your lights, the other motorist moves across while 'thanking' you and kills a cyclist coming up your nearside.

How is that a 'common sense approach to driving'?

When I am in the above scenario, I will leave a gap but will not make any gesture to the other motorist. I will let him make the decision and therefore he is more likely to ensure that it is safe to do so.

stevec wrote: »
    Its illegal to keep weasels in your pants whilst climbing a ladder in Alabama.
    ROFL!

JHMEG wrote: »
    ROFL!
    You're easily amused!

You're easily amused!
    Ya, maybe. I have to be honest tho, I didn't see it coming.

When I am in the above scenario, I will leave a gap but will not make any gesture to the other motorist. I will let him make the decision and therefore he is more likely to ensure that it is safe to do so.
    In the same scenario, if someone flashes me to let me in, I don't blindly put the foot down. At the end of the day, I am responsible for what I do and will take appropriate precautions. I can see your point though.

You're easily amused!
    BTW, I think you're being too pedantic. We all know what flashing hazard lights means after someone has pulled in to let one overtake.

Also, if I smack into another car based on someone else's signal, well it's my fault.

The problem is that they are not usually used appropriately.

Many who gesture to other motorists don't ensure that it is safe for that motorist to cross. You flash your lights, the other motorist moves across while 'thanking' you and kills a cyclist coming up your nearside.

How is that a 'common sense approach to driving'?

OK I kind of see your point but the reality of that situation you have given is that

1. The motorist who is turning has the responsibility to check if it is safe to do so. You are simply letting him know that you will remain stationary for a short time to allow him this option.

2. IMO the cyclist should be aware of what is going on around them. When they see a gap in traffic like this I would guess that 9 times out of 10 someone is being allowed to cross the lane. I would hope this is common sense for the cyclist and cause them to slow down and prepare for this possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

They are called hazzard lights for a reason.

I'd expect better from a mod. You must have gotten your mod license in the amnesty of 'ought 6.

They are in fact invisibility lights for parking on double-yellars, paths, loading bays, the middle of the road etc. without being seen.

Tsk tsk :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

rigal wrote: »
    2. IMO the cyclist should be aware of what is going on around them. When they see a gap in traffic like this I would guess that 9 times out of 10 someone is being allowed to cross the lane. I would hope this is common sense for the cyclist and cause them to slow down and prepare for this possibility.

problem is cyclists are immune to any traffic laws and, more importantly, responsibility in this country. car vs pushbike = hammer vs egg when it goes to court.

Advertisement