Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cmoon Courtesy not in the Rules of the Road

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

stevec wrote: »
    problem is cyclists are immune to any traffic laws and, more importantly, responsibility in this country. car vs pushbike = hammer vs egg when it goes to court.

Little bit unfair to those cyclists who do actually obey the laws.

There's a good reason why cars should show more consideration for cyclists anyway. In a collision, car vs pushbike=hammer vs egg.

Anyway the situation in question here is when a car leaves a gap to allow a car to turn right. They are waiving their own right of way and not the cyclists. Obviously common sense says the cyclist will slow down/stop but in law they are not obliged to AFAIK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

javaboy wrote: »
    Anyway the situation in question here is when a car leaves a gap to allow a car to turn right. They are waiving their own right of way and not the cyclists. Obviously common sense says the cyclist will slow down/stop but in law they are not obliged to AFAIK.
    In law theory they are not allowed to undertake other road users in the same lane.
    Think we've gone far enough OT with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

stevec wrote: »
    In law theory they are not allowed to undertake other road users in the same lane.
    In theory, it would also follow then, that where there is no separate cycle lane, and both the cyclist and motorist are in the same lane it would then be illegal for a car to stop alongside a cyclist or even a short distance in front as this would be a breach of the regulations on overtaking.

But to get back on topic, if a motorist overtakes a cyclist and then stops and flashes to allow an oncoming driver to cross, he could share some blame for any collision with the cyclist. It would fall under 'failing to drive with due care and consideration'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I witness many close shaves of the above scenario when the 'flashing motorist' has a bus lane/cycle lane to their left. It's absolute lunacy to 'flash' at another motorist without checking if anything is coming up the bus lane.

The only time I will assist another motorist in this situation iis f I am driving a large vehicle like a truck or bus and and am stopped in heavy traffic. The motorist wishing to turn right across me cannot see what's approaching on the nearside lane. However, this is also potentially dangerous on a dark wet night, in poorly lit areas with unlit bicycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

I witness many close shaves of the above scenario when the 'flashing motorist' has a bus lane/cycle lane to their left. It's absolute lunacy to 'flash' at another motorist without checking if anything is coming up the bus lane.

The only time I will assist another motorist in this situation iis f I am driving a large vehicle like a truck or bus and and am stopped in heavy traffic. The motorist wishing to turn right across me cannot see what's approaching on the nearside lane. However, this is also potentially dangerous on a dark wet night, in poorly lit areas with unlit bicycles.

Lunacy??? I don't think you're taking on board the point I made earlier: Surely the motorist who is turning has the responsibility to check if it is safe to do so. You are simply letting them know that you will remain stationary for a short time to allow him this option.

As for cyclists with bikes that are unlit - They are the lunatics -what do you want me to do? Get out of my car and shine a torch down the inside bus/cycle lane??

Everyone needs to be aware that they are responsible for their own vehicle and what they do with it. The driver that turns needs to check if it is safe to do so, not the stationary car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

rigal wrote: »
    Lunacy??? I don't think you're taking on board the point I made earlier: Surely the motorist who is turning has the responsibility to check if it is safe to do so. You are simply letting them know that you will remain stationary for a short time to allow him this option.
    It is true that the turning motorist has responsibility to check and give way to oncoming traffic on the inside. Sadly, many cyclists don't use lights even though they're quite cheap, so any experienced motorist always keeps this in mind.

But, overtaking a another road user and then stopping a short distance ahead in the same lane is contrary to the rules on overtaking.

While cycling, I've often had to take evasive action after having been overtaken by a motorist who then stops & invites another motorist to turn across my path. Quite often the recipient of this 'courtesy' is busy waving 'thank you' to the other driver and not paying attention to me or any pedestrians attempting to cross as I struggle to avoid colliding with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

rigal wrote: »

Incorrect, if you call someone out of a side road and they crash into a cyclist, motorbike or anything you are partially responsible for the crash. You have signaled a driver the road is clear and they are acting on your signal. Granted they should still pay attention but if they don't then it is partially your fault.

When I was doing truck lessons my instructor told me never to call people out. What I do is leave a gap and wait a couple of seconds for the person to pull out. If they do then they have to check for other road users and if they don't move I just drive off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

I always let a car onto a dual carraigeway provided if (and only if) they use their indicators.

Advertisement